OT: Travel to Italy with Geno and the Women's Team! | The Boneyard

OT: Travel to Italy with Geno and the Women's Team!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
University of Connecticut Women’s Basketball: Tour of Italy
Join Head Coach Geno Auriemma and the UConn Women’s Basketball team on the trip of a lifetime! This exclusive tour features Italy’s most beautiful cities, deluxe hotel accommodations, tickets to four basketball games, and time with the team. We look forward to having you join us for this extraordinary trip!

- See more at: https://www.anthonytravel.com/uconn...&hq_l=10&hq_v=b99127eebc#sthash.MdPAnqxm.dpuf

Reaction Score
If your looking for the worst two week period in the year to visit Italy those dates are probably it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If your looking for the worst two week period in the year to visit Italy those dates are probably it.
Certainly true for Venice, and likely to be hotter than hell in Rome and Florence.

Reaction Score
Certainly true for Venice, and likely to be hotter than hell in Rome and Florence.
I lived in Florence for all of 2005 and August there is miserable due to the heat and the crowds. It is overrun with tourists. Rome is about 10x worse. By far the worst month of the year in Italy unless you are leaving the cities.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I lived in Florence for all of 2005 and August there is miserable due to the heat and the crowds. It is overrun with tourists. Rome is about 10x worse. By far the worst month of the year in Italy unless you are leaving the cities.
We were in both in late July and early August around five or six years ago and got lucky with weather that was about 5-10 degrees lower than normal for that time of year. We only spent three nights in Rome and I could easily have spent a week or more. I booked everything on-line in advance though, so crowds were never an issue for us. We stayed outside Siena for most of the time after that and did day trips throughout Tuscany from there, including to Florence, where we also booked everything on-line in advance and were able to avoid the crowds. Stayed on Lake Orta in Piedmont after that and the weather was perfect there.

Reaction Score
I'm in Italy right now! 4/8-4/24. Was in Rome, Orvieto, Florence, Santa Margherita, currently in Bolzano, and then finish in Venice. April is an awesome time to go to Italy weather-wise. Haven't had a single rainy day and in the mid 70s typically. Easter Sunday was a little bit of pain but other than that flawless...

Reaction Score
I'm in Italy right now! 4/8-4/24. Was in Rome, Orvieto, Florence, Santa Margherita, currently in Bolzano, and then finish in Venice. April is an awesome time to go to Italy weather-wise. Haven't had a single rainy day and in the mid 70s typically. Easter Sunday was a little bit of pain but other than that flawless...

I was just there before you for 2 weeks. Great weather. And easier than ever with the new trains they have. Rome to Venice in 3 hours, 200mph+. But, you are underground for much of it. Not much countryside.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice! We stopped in Orvieto en route from Rome to our place outside of Siena and stayed for several hours checking out the Duomo, shopping and having a great meal. I hope you got to try some of the Orvieto white wine. I can still remember the pasta with wild boar and truffles.

Reaction Score
Nice! We stopped in Orvieto en route from Rome to our place outside of Siena and stayed for several hours checking out the Duomo, shopping and having a great meal. I hope you got to try some of the Orvieto white wine. I can still remember the pasta with wild boar and truffles.
Orvieto was pretty cool, the Duomo is one of the stranger styles I've seen here, painted with zebra-type stripes on the side. Don't think I got around to trying any white wine but bought some pretty kick ass olive oil and this AMAZING balsamic reduction creme from this cafe we ate at. Also gelato for dayssssss

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Orvieto was pretty cool, the Duomo is one of the stranger styles I've seen here, painted with zebra-type stripes on the side. Don't think I got around to trying any white wine but bought some pretty kick ass olive oil and this AMAZING balsamic reduction creme from this cafe we ate at. Also gelato for dayssssss
Definitely one of the most unique Duomos we saw; loved the zebra stripes on the sides.

We were in Italy for 19 days and I'm pretty sure I had gelato at least two dozen times.

Pro tip: Look for the places where the pistachio is white, not green.

Pro tip (2): Coconut and dark chocolate is the best combo.

Reaction Score
Aren't the Men supposed to be taking an International trip as well? I believe Cegles mentioned it in the article in the courant awhile back and when was the last time the Men's team went on an international trip?

Reaction Score
Aren't the Men supposed to be taking an International trip as well? I believe Cegles mentioned it in the article in the courant awhile back and when was the last time the Men's team went on an international trip?
Supposedly to Canada.

Reaction Score
Definitely one of the most unique Duomos we saw; loved the zebra stripes on the sides.

We were in Italy for 19 days and I'm pretty sure I had gelato at least two dozen times.

My Gelato pro tip? Gnom is the place. A national chain, but... as many Italians explained, they do it the old way and they do it right.

If you go to Rome, make a reservation at Roscioli near Campo Dei Fiori for great food.

There are great beer bars in both Rome and Venice.

Reaction Score

Literally just landed in Boston from Italy. Was there 4/7-4/19. Did Rome/Florence/Amalfi coast. Great trip.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the pistachio tip...easily my favorite gelato/ice cream flavor by far

Reaction Score
Literally just landed in Boston from Italy. Was there 4/7-4/19. Did Rome/Florence/Amalfi coast. Great trip.
I'll be flying back home to Boston as well on 4/24 from Venice. Yeah can't go wrong with Italy as a vacation, has everything you want/need to make a good trip

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
What sense does it make to not include air fare?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
What sense does it make to not include air fare?
A lot of these tours don't because they don't know where the people are flying from. Foe example, a flight from LA costs a lot more than one from NYC. Some give you departure cities you must connect through and then they cover the air from their to your destination.

Reaction Score
@ Deepster

Start up a gofundme or a kickstarter and I'll go and blog the entire trip Deepster style. I promise I will not hold a punch back. Video and pictures a plenty as well. I promise to even watch them play.

Added option: August goes with me and hits every fast food spot we see along the path.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll be in Italy end of may for a little over a week. Rome, Florence and tuscany. Planning to eat/drink nothing but pasta and wine

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Start up a gofundme or a kickstarter and I'll go and blog the entire trip Deepster style. I promise I will not hold a punch back. Video and pictures a plenty as well. I promise to even watch them play.

Added option: August goes with me and hits every fast food spot we see along the path.

I will Facebook live our whole trip, and promise getting Geno on camera answering for his awful pizza

Reaction Score
Actually, now I'm thinking. Is watching four women's games worth a free trip to Italy? Yikes. That's a tough call. It might be if I saw Augie ask him about ranch dressing and scallops on pizza.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom