OT: TPC Traveler's in Cromwell | The Boneyard

OT: TPC Traveler's in Cromwell

Reaction Score
I think I'm going to get 2 tixs for me and my golf buddy. First timer here so I have some questions.

Suggestions on best day? (We can go even on weekdays, looking for low crowd day).
Are Ground Tix sufficient (vs Sponsor Club) for watching players?
Best hole(s) to camp out in? (view/less crowds)
Lawn chair recommended?
Can we bring food/sandwich?
Any suggestions on how to enjoy the day and watching golf/players?
Best time to arrive?

By the way we're open to Monday-Wednesday, doesn't have to be round play. Just looking to marvel and be humbled at how pitiful our games are in comparison.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I'd suggest going Thursday, you get the tournament feel and lesser crowds then the later rounds and ground passes are great for checking things out.

If you plan on finding one spot and hanging out, then bring a lawn chair. If you are going to be moving, don't. There are some bleachers or even some hillside where you can park it for a little bit.

I like to the left of the second green as a spot, you can see the putting on 2 and tee shots on 3. Behind 15 or 16 are also great spots.

Mix in a water or two if you are going to be hitting the beers, not much shade!

Have fun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would suggest a practice day. You can follow a favorite player and listen to him and his caddy talk and figure out the course.

I also highly recommend watching Ayers on the driving range and putting green. See how pro's practice with a purpose and fine tune their game.

I always thought it was jest to see pro's hitting approach shots to a green away from that day's pin only to see it be the Sunday pin.

As for everything else, website will have details on yes/no for chairs, umbrellas, coolers, bags etc.

Best generic advice is to wear comfortable shoes, hydrate and bring a hat and shades. DO NOT BE THE WHO WEARS HIS GOLF SHOES WHILE WALKING THE COURSE!!!!!

Reaction Score
I would suggest a practice day. You can follow a favorite player and listen to him and his caddy talk and figure out the course.

I also highly recommend watching Ayers on the driving range and putting green. See how pro's practice with a purpose and fine tune their game.

I always thought it was jest to see pro's hitting approach shots to a green away from that day's pin only to see it be the Sunday pin.

As for everything else, website will have details on yes/no for chairs, umbrellas, coolers, bags etc.

Best generic advice is to wear comfortable shoes, hydrate and bring a hat and shades. DO NOT BE THE WHO WEARS HIS GOLF SHOES WHILE WALKING THE COURSE!!!!!

"DO NOT BE THE WHO WEARS HIS GOLF SHOES WHILE WALKING THE COURSE!!!!!"

Love that Chin haha, so true.

Reaction Score
I think I'm going to get 2 tixs for me and my golf buddy. First timer here so I have some questions.

Suggestions on best day? (We can go even on weekdays, looking for low crowd day).
Are Ground Tix sufficient (vs Sponsor Club) for watching players?
Best hole(s) to camp out in? (view/less crowds)
Lawn chair recommended?
Can we bring food/sandwich?
Any suggestions on how to enjoy the day and watching golf/players?
Best time to arrive?

By the way we're open to Monday-Wednesday, doesn't have to be round play. Just looking to marvel and be humbled at how pitiful our games are in comparison.

Network your way into a corporate tent or don't go. A/C, free drinks, free food. Swag. Easy access in and out. And if you really want to walk around for a bit and see a few holes or golfers? Go ahead. But then go back to the nice cool tent with free booze.

Reaction Score
Network your way into a corporate tent or don't go. A/C, free drinks, free food. Swag. Easy access in and out. And if you really want to walk around for a bit and see a few holes or golfers? Go ahead. But then go back to the nice cool tent with free booze.

Bingo I don't go without the corp tent as much as I used to. I mean it's still ok but if I'm not in a cool tent sipping cold ones and eating shrimp cocktail, then I'd rather spend that 5-6 hours with 3 1/2 hours golfing with the boys and a couple hours in the 19th!

Reaction Score
Swag? A hat you'll never wear again or a cheap umbrella?

I am going and in a tent. Food is ok. Booze so-so. But nice break if you walk course a little and then come in a watch a hole or 2.

They've done a great job with the tourney in the last few years. It's odd it drew so well way back and now is very average yet the amenities are much better now and that fan fest thing is incredibly cool. Sign of the times with CT economic malaise.

Reaction Score

I am going and in a tent. Food is ok. Booze so-so. But nice break if you walk course a little and then come in a watch a hole or 2.

They've done a great job with the tourney in the last few years. It's odd it drew so well way back and now is very average yet the amenities are much better now and that fan fest thing is incredibly cool. Sign of the times with CT economic malaise.
Used to be the #2 tournament in attendance on the tour (Phoenix was #1). Haven't been in years because every time I go I wish I was playing instead.

nadav

Reaction Score
Used to be the #2 tournament in attendance on the tour (Phoenix was #1). Haven't been in years because every time I go I wish I was playing instead.

It still is. 225,ooo last year and it wasn't in its customary spot -- 2nd highest attended tournament in the world. But very average by JSM standards. They are expecting 300-325k this year.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you were in the wrong tent, amigo.

Reaction Score
Bro,

They had 400k+ in 2002 and they have the best field they'll ever have this year with basically #2, 3 & 5 players in World

It still is. 225,ooo last year and it wasn't in its customary spot -- 2nd highest attended tournament in the world. But very average by JSM standards. They are expecting 300-325k this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wear some comfortable shoes and walk around. Go to those holes way in the back where there aren't so many spectators. A few years back I was back there and caught a guy I didn't know and saw him just nail three holes in a row. Turns out it was Jason Day and now he's great and I can say I remember him when. My tip is to go in open to anything and just go where the moment strikes you. If you want to put down roots, I suggest the 15th hole. A Par 4 where they can drive the green. You can see the drive coming in and you can see them get into all sorts of trouble if they miss the green.

nadav

Reaction Score
Bro,

They had 400k+ in 2002 and they have the best field they'll ever have this year with basically #2, 3 & 5 players in World
Bro, how is the second best attended tournament in the world, 'very average'?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Personally, I skip the front nine. 11 is a nice little elevated par 3... can watch people drop it in and then tee off on 12... 15/16/17/18 is where the getting is good, but those tend to be crowded. No outside food or beverage allowed.

If anyone is looking to unload tickets... pm me please. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If anyone is looking to unload tickets... pm me please. :)

The late Randy Smith used to have an occasional column of one-liners called Do You Want to Bet...? I'll always remember Do You Want To Bet...if you can't find a free ticket to the GHO, you aren't trying hard enough. That doesn't seem to be the case these days. I've only been offered one freebie in the last 5 years. That's good, I think.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I always go on the Pro-Am day which is a blast and the golfers are more open to stopping and talking briefly and even sign an autograph if you like one. Get there early and find a good spot to watch.

Have a great time and enjoy the best field in 15 years or so.

Reaction Score
I always go on the Pro-Am day which is a blast and the golfers are more open to stopping and talking briefly and even sign an autograph if you like one. Get there early and find a good spot to watch.

Have a great time and enjoy the best field in 15 years or so.
You are right. This is a great field.

Reaction Score
15 is my favorite. Short par 4, so a lot of the guys will go for the green in one -- good eagle opportunities -- or can hit it in the water on the side. Either way -- an exciting hole. As others have said, can see some other holes from there as well. Pro am day always fun and you can usually see some Huskies. I know KO, Ray, Calhoun, Geno have all played in the past.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tee shot on 17 always intrigues me. Water all along the right, hills and bunkers on the left. From an elevated tee.

Any of us hack, up to and including single digits handicappers, crap their pants looking at that shot.

Pro's? Stripe it 275-290 down the fairway. Find a target and swing assertively at the target.

Reaction Score
Tee shot on 17 always intrigues me. Water all along the right, hills and bunkers on the left. From an elevated tee.

Any of us hack, up to and including single digits handicappers, crap their pants looking at that shot.

Pro's? Stripe it 275-290 down the fairway. Find a target and swing assertively at the target.

I feel like most of the pros are hitting irons and fairway woods off of that tee now.

Reaction Score
If anyone happens to have an extra tent/box on green passes available let me know, please!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hang out around 15, 16, 17 you can see all three holes with out much walking
There is a bank left of the 17th fairway. Sit there and watch incoming 15. The 16th and 17th.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom