OT - Tony Bennett leaving Virginia? | The Boneyard

OT - Tony Bennett leaving Virginia?

Reaction Score
They've already had two kids transfer out since the end of the season, Marial Shayok being the big - and surprising name. One of the kids - Jarred Reuter - is from Massachusetts, but I imagine he is looking to move down a level. Shayock in the interesting one - to my knowledge he is not eligible to play next season, but you hardly ever see kids transfer after their junior year otherwise.

Their recruiting class for next season is very thin, their four year point guard and starter is graduating, and the novelty of Bennett's system seems to be wearing off a bit (which is not to say he isn't a great coach, just that his God status might be slipping). The IU job just opened up and word is that it's down to Alford and Bennett.

I would take Shayock in a heartbeat if he's eligible next season - he's exactly the sort of versatile, rangy defender we are lacking on the wing - and I might even take him if he has to sit out. He strikes me as the type who could be Kromah but better.

Edit: I think he is eligible to be a grad transfer.

Reaction Score
My guess based on nothing is that he ends up at Oregon or Gonzaga. That's where the Canadian kids seem to end up.

I agree @Dream Jobbed 2.0 that it is tough to see him leaving a top 25 team for our situation.

Reaction Score
I would hope not. Bennett has the Cavs back in the top 25. They are pretty decent in the ACC. I would hope that he stays but you never know. Some coaches like the challenge of moving on to a different program and seeing what they can do there.

Reaction Score
UVA basketball is so fugly like watching 3 yard and a cloud of dust Penn State football growing up (I'm from PA and never liked that kind of football). Nothing else to add.

Reaction Score
I really hate to see shayok go. Greathe defender and a very good slasher who can create his own shot and hit the midrange jumper

Our 17 class is not good but we had 2 top 100 guys from 16 redshirt this year. Shayok got pushed down the rotation when our 2 freshmen guards started playing more at the end of the season. In hindsight it's not super surprising, but again I really hate to see him go. Would be a great pickup for us here at uconn if he graduates and can be a grad transfer

Really doubt Bennett leaves for IU. It's not a better job at this point in time

Reaction Score
Another transfer...Darius Thompson

Looking more and more like bennett is gone

So much for uva being good at basketball again...now I have to go back to only being excited about soccer, lax, and tennis...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom