OT:Tiny pet peeve | The Boneyard

OT:Tiny pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

Reaction Score
C'mon Dan ... you should of congratulated cohen for not posting another message bashing P & D ... that would of been the correct response ... :)

Reaction Score
If you had to small pet peeve this forum, nary a thread wouldn't come under assault. Heck, there's a multipage thread about the bb head coach's inability to grasp subject-verb agreement.

My hugest concerns is not the grammar, its the substance of the arguements. And that starts with those posters that think Pasqualani's body of work isn't sufficeintly established soes to give us an idea that UConn needs to look at him as sunk costs and move on to a dynamic head coach short of the three year review mark standard in football.

Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

You have too many spaces between small and grammatical. You could have put a colon after the word example. "Etc" should be "etc.".

You should of proofread better.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have a pet peeve with the people who write "lot's" instead of "lots", Cohen. It's just a small grammatical thing.
Correct. Bad proofing. However, I didn't single anyone out, now did I. As someone who hired people and who needed them to know how to use the language, it was, as I said, a small pet peeve. Lots of sensitive people here.

Reaction Score
Correct. Bad proofing. However, I didn't single anyone out, now did I. As someone who hired people and who needed them to know how to use the language, it was, as I said, a small pet peeve. Lots of sensitive people here.

You don't work for the Harftord Courant - do you?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

No, you didn't single anyone out- and I wouldn't have fit your pet peeve model anyway- but you had to have been aware that your post made it fair game for yourself to be singled out and criticized had any errors been found in your post. Oh, and "now did I." should have a question mark at the end, not a period.

OK I'm done joshing you. Have a good day.

Reaction Score
dude............seriously?

Reaction Score
I don't take to correcting people, it's a wasted efford. However, my pet peeve is when people write 'are' instead of 'our' . How does someone confuse the two?

Reaction Score
Could be why ward and susan aren't reading any of the emails

Reaction Score
When I first joined this board, back in it's Rivals incarnation, I noticed a lot of typos. Not just the usual stuff, but the names of football and basketball head coaches, the starting QB, the buildings that the teams play in, etc.

At first, I considered correcting them. Then, I wondered if I was missing an inside joke. Finally, I realized it was just a message board and that I really don't care.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have to admit that stuff like that does bother me a little bit, but mostly from my own posts rather than from the posts of others. As long as I can understand what the poster is trying to say, I usually won't call them out on it. There was one time where I called someone out on the BY for using a triple negative (I don't think I had ever seen one before) because I couldn't tell if he was agreeing with me or arguing with me.

My pet peeve that I will ask Boneyarders not to do (like it matters what I ask) is to try your best not to misspell the names of recruits and players when you create threads for them. It is probably feels a lot better for these guys when they view the fansite of the university they just gave a verbal to and to see their name look the way it should. It's not a big deal, but it's just a nice thing to have...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that when I correct someone's grammar, it is done tongue in cheek. These corrections are done as a parody of people who do actually care... it's the internet for crying out loud. If people can upload videos of horses fornicating with people on the internet, you can type should of on a message board. I don't give a fack how people spell on here as long as the substance of the post is clear without the post needing to be read more than once. JMO.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member