OT: Tiger's return...how will he do? | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger's return...how will he do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Tiger Woods targets October tournament for return

Will he get to Jack's 18 major wins? He is at 14. Next to zero chance...imo.
Will he pass Sam Snead's record of winning 82 PGA events? He is at 79.
Long shot but a shot.

If he is reasonably competitive...occasionally in the mix late on Sundays...his return will be great for the good of the game.... whether folks are rooting for him or against him.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Besides his body and his long game having to hold up for 4 rounds, particularly his driving, his putting would have to be much closer to what it was in the old days as well. His physical problems have rightly been the most scrutinized, but he was also a very good putter for years and years when he was gathering all that hardware. HAVING SAID THAT, putting is mysterious.... and he could put it all together over a weekend. You know never know.

He's also had some rather shocking (for him) wobbles in his short game during the last couple years on the occasions where he did play.

In short, I agree that the chances of him matching or passing Jack are very low at this point. But it will be fun to watch him try, and I agree that it will be a boost for the game. Not that there aren't new stars now that are drawing fans and attention, but there is nothing to boost fan interest like Tiger in the hunt.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Although 40 isn't old by golfing standards, with all the surgeries, Tiger's body might be an "old" 40. I, too, doubt that he'll be able to recapture major-winning form, and I'd put the odds of him exceeding Snead's 82 at less than 50/50.

Whether he likes it or not, he might be pushed into "elder statesman" status well before age 50. Some golfers have embraced that role - Palmer, Byron Nelson, Player. Some have seemed to struggle with it - Trevino, Norman. I'm not sure that Tiger would make the transition gracefully.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
As much as I would like him to do well, I don't see it happening. Not only age and injuries, but I suspect that he no longer has the drive.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Johnny Miller (spelled that one right, right Vowel - ah never mind) is widely quoted today as saying Tiger can win maybe 6-8 more tournaments. For example: Johnny Miller says Tiger Woods can still win 6-8 more tournaments

As much as I'd like to see that for the good of the game, I think Miller's prediction is like Carnac stuff. Tiger's leg injuries plus the back injuries plus his tendency to over swing with a wood in his hands make this comeback a tall order. I think the second most interesting thing about the comeback is whose clubs will be in his bag. There's a dog fight.

Reaction Score
Johnny Miller (spelled that one right, right Vowel - ah never mind) is widely quoted today as saying Tiger can win maybe 6-8 more tournaments. For example: Johnny Miller says Tiger Woods can still win 6-8 more tournaments

As much as I'd like to see that for the good of the game, I think Miller's prediction is like Carnac stuff. Tiger's leg injuries plus the back injuries plus his tendency to over swing with a wood in his hands make this comeback a tall order. I think the second most interesting thing about the comeback is whose clubs will be in his bag. There's a dog fight.

Is this the same Johnny Miller who twice told Jack Nicklaus there was "no chance" of making a 102 foot putt ?

(Can someone post the video from 2010 ? I'm hopeless.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiger's first step it to play pain free.

The second step is to play well in ALL facets of the game. Will his full swings be painful? Will he chipping be much better? Will his putting be anything close to what it was?

The third step is to compete. Where is his mindset? Does he have doubts? Is this the Tiger of 1997-2008 or the Tiger of 2008-2015? The depth of high-level competition is greater than ever. Players are no longer afraid of Tiger. The intimidation factor is gone and very unlikely to be recaptured.

I think that Tiger has a shot at 3 wins if he can get to the third step. He plays some courses VERY well.

Tiger's chances of 5 more majors are below 1% in my opinion. He plays Augusta and some other places very well, but the competition is deep. If he won only one more major, that would be a substantial accomplishment.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He's toast over and done. Yesterday's news and may well never win anything again.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I hope he does well. He was a true great at his sport, but he paid a very high price for a series of repeated errors in his personal life. Then his body began to repay him for the repeated motion injuries the game gave to him. It all had to be emotionally crushing to a young man with a big ego and a good reason to have it.

That he is trying to come back again at all tells me that all the money he's won, and that amounts to a fortune, is not enough to replace the feeling of being a winner.

And his constant winning WAS "good for the game."

Reaction Score

I doubt that there's a dogfight about the clubs. With him it's always about the money. He knows his days are numbered and nobody is going to pay him what Nike did to play their clubs. He and his agent likely have a lesser known company lined up that will give him part ownership and let him design and market his own signature line. As the only big name involved, if they sell big he makes a boatload of $$ and if not he can always sell out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He and his agent likely have a lesser known company lined up that will give him part ownership and let him design and market his own signature line

Interesting thought BobbyJ! Let's see what he plays in October. He won't have had time though to have his own line up and running by then though??? or maybe huh. Michaelson started outdriving Tiger after he went with Nike and Phil said it was the inferior Nike product.

Reaction Score
Interesting thought BobbyJ! Let's see what he plays in October. He won't have had time though to have his own line up and running by then though??? or maybe huh. Michaelson started outdriving Tiger after he went with Nike and Phil said it was the inferior Nike product.
Well he has his custom made Nike clubs for now and if he hasn't already, he can give his specs to another company to build and test new ones. And because he still endorses their clothing and shoes, Nike might even provide backup clubs until he's settled with new ones.

Reaction Score
No need to speculate. We'll get a look at his "new game" after the latest injury in october, november and december. Its a longshot at best with his injury history but if by some miracle he can stay injury free he could still play in another 40 or so majors by age 50 and numerous other tournaments. There is no other sure thing on the tour at this point with a lot of golfers sharing in tournament wins so while 4 more majors is a longshot possibility, with good health he gets the 3 plus tour wins without too much problem imo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As much as I would like him to do well, I don't see it happening. Not only age and injuries, but I suspect that he no longer has the drive.
65124194.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS