OT: "There Ought To Be A Law!" | The Boneyard

OT: "There Ought To Be A Law!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Back in the day (away back!), in era of the Prince Valiant (Sundays), Superman and Mary Woth and Mutt & Jeff (weekdays), there was a popular daily syndicated cartoon (by Jimmy Hatlo IIRC) entitled "There Ought To Be A Law," and the theme was to humorously introduce situations that some ordinance might rectify. Call it slapstick satire.

Permit me to revive this theme. A major pet peeve of mine is the high volume of verbiage (often 100+ words) in a teentsy font on screen during 30-second TV commercials stating disclaimers, warning us of side effects of drugs, or enumerating restrictions about some boffo bargain (esp. car leases or insurance). I contend that:

"There Ought To Be A Law. . .that limits on-screen verbiage to 15 readable words per 30-second commercial!"

(like, "Be Careful Before You Buy!");)
OK, 'Yarders, your turn.:)

GO!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
46057250.jpg

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

This evokes thought's of Jimmy Hatlo's masterpiece cartoon: "They'll Do It Every Time." An admiring imitator of Hatlo named Al Fagaly modeled his cartoon, "There Oughta Be a Law!" after Hatlo's widely popular cartoon.

I call them both "Slapstick Satire," because they both (Hatlo and Fagaly) had fun poking fun at common situations and presenting zany solutions. Neither editorialized nor ever got serious. They were funny and entertaining. The grim picture above violates the humorous cartoon spirit that Fagaly presented and just goes to show:

"They'll Do It Every Time!" ;)

Reaction Score
Back in the day (away back!), in era of the Prince Valiant (Sundays), Superman and Mary Woth and Mutt & Jeff (weekdays), there was a popular daily syndicated cartoon (by Jimmy Hatlo IIRC) entitled "There Ought To Be A Law," and the theme was to humorously introduce situations that some ordinance might rectify. Call it slapstick satire.

Permit me to revive this theme. A major pet peeve of mine is the high volume of verbiage (often 100+ words) in a teentsy font on screen during 30-second TV commercials stating disclaimers, warning us of side effects of drugs, or enumerating restrictions about some boffo bargain (esp. car leases or insurance). I contend that:

"There Ought To Be A Law. . .that limits on-screen verbiage to 15 readable words per 30-second commercial!"

(like, "Be Careful Before You Buy!");)
OK, 'Yarders, your turn.:)

GO!
I think I I'm for a slightly smaller government than that.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
There ought to be a law that if you're going to poop on a meme without being humorous, your keyboard locks up and doesn't work. :p

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My pet peeve: Cyclist who ride side by side, and sometime three riders side by side.

If you are not traveling the speed limit, you are blocking the road.

I've put in my share of road miles, mostly when I was much younger. When I knew a car was coming, I'd fall back.

So ... There should be a law against riding side by side.

JS

Reaction Score
My pet peeve: Cyclist who ride side by side, and sometime three riders side by side.
Also, walking or jogging side by side. When walking with someone where there's no room on the shoulder, I always go to single file when a car is coming.

Some pedestrians think they have the right of way, and the cars can just figure it out.

image11.jpg

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, they do, don't they? (For all practical purposes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom