OT The 'worst' car you ever owned | The Boneyard

OT The 'worst' car you ever owned

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Well its a few more days before the 1000th win and with nothing to do today i started thinking about the worst car I ever owned. Turns out its the one I own now :( I assume pretty much everyone has their own horror story so I'll start with mine.
Four years ago I purchased a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a diesel engine. Even tho the diesel was a hefty price adder I was convinced by the salesperson's pitch about their reliability and longevity plus the fuel economy for such a large beast was impressive. Soooo. . .
On the way to visit my son in MD a warning light came on saying the vehicle wouldn't restart in 100 miles as there was an emissions failure. We ended up stranded in a dealership in MD. Some probe fell out - a known issue to Chrysler.
From almost new the car bucked horribly under certain conditions. Eventually Chrysler had the dealership change the heads - car tied up for a week. A month later on RT8 in MA (at night in the cold weather of course) the engine seized up. Chrysler had the dealer change the entire engine. Tied up for a month.
About 6 months later the transmission failed - barely and I mean barely got into the dealership's lot. Chrysler had them change the transmission. Car tied up for 6 weeks.
Then there was the time the brakes barely stopped the car and I almost drove into a restaurant. Eventually the dealership replaced some major part of the brake system (not sure what it was but Chrysler later on had a recall on that).
I don't think I'd recommend this car to anyone.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
1974 Plymouth with consistent starting problems and stalling out after stopping at stop signs, lights, etc.

Perhaps ten trips to the dealer who "fixed" the problem each time. I gave up and took it to a local mechanic I knew. In 15 minutes he diagnosed it as a problem with the inline fuel filter next to the carb which he replaced for a total charge of $10.00.

I spent the night at home sucking on a beer and staring at the wall.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mine's a tie between a 1968 Bug and a 1982 Diesel Rabbit. The Bug was pretty old when I got it, but the Rabbit was only a couple years old. I went through three head gaskets and two heads before I threw up my arms. Both cars stranded me multiple times in New Jersey and Maryland.

The Diesel engine is the simplest thing in the world. No ignition system, no carburetor. Thing is, too many car companies pretend they're like gasoline engines, but parts that work with a 10:1 compression ratio don't work with a 35 or 40:1 compression ratio. Plus, of course, there's all the other stuff (electrical, brakes) that has nothing to do with the engine.

I promised myself two things when I got my degree: I wouldn't work on my car any more and I'd NEVER buy another used car. I haven't been stranded in half a million miles since.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
1984 Maserati Biturbo coupe, the sexiest car I've ever owned. 3.0 lire twin turbocharged V6, 5 speed, burgundy with tan Italian leather interior. The only car I've ever owned that would stop people in their tracks to grab a look at it. I'd leave the grocery store to find 4-5 people around the car just looking at it.

Drove it 5,000 miles over the next three years and spent $7,500 on repairs and maintenance on it. I hated to sell it, but it was like dating a woman above your class who was using you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1984 Maserati Biturbo coupe, the sexiest car I've ever owned. 3.0 lire twin turbocharged V6, 5 speed, burgundy with tan Italian leather interior. The only car I've ever owned that would stop people in their tracks to grab a look at it. I'd leave the grocery store to find 4-5 people around the car just looking at it.

Drove it 5,000 miles over the next three years and spent $7,500 on repairs and maintenance on it. I hated to sell it, but it was like dating a woman above your class who was using you.
A%2BNew%2BLeaf%2B1.JPG

"Carbon on the valves"​

Reaction Score
Never had what I'd call a bad car despite the fact that I've only owned one new car in my long life. But reading LasVegasYank's post reminded me of a rental I had for 6 weeks when my Fiat got hit. It was a mid-70's Plymouth Volare. It was new when I got it but despite taking good care of it, after 6 weeks it rattled, the brakes were shot and was hard to start. I think the early to mid 70's, as Detroit scrambled to design lighter and fuel efficient cars while reducing emissions was the dark ages of the automotive industry. Those early compact and mid-sized cars were junk and basically died at about 40K miles.

CL82

Reaction Score
Never had what I'd call a bad car
I feel the same way. My "worst" was probably my first:
1966-country-squire1512.jpg

It had its issues but I loved that thing as it gave me mobility. Heck I still do.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A%2BNew%2BLeaf%2B1.JPG

"Carbon on the valves"​

Is that from "A New Leaf?" Wonderful movie. I saw it when it came out; it was at the drive in, I was about ten. I'd forgotten about it till probably ten years ago, when it came on AMC or TCM or something. I really loved it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Never had what I'd call a bad car despite the fact that I've only owned one new car in my long life. But reading LasVegasYank's post reminded me of a rental I had for 6 weeks when my Fiat got hit. It was a mid-70's Plymouth Volare. It was new when I got it but despite taking good care of it, after 6 weeks it rattled, the brakes were shot and was hard to start. I think the early to mid 70's, as Detroit scrambled to design lighter and fuel efficient cars while reducing emissions was the dark ages of the automotive industry. Those early compact and mid-sized cars were junk and basically died at about 40K miles.

You've never owned a bad car, but you had a FIAT?? Boy you dodged a bullet.

CL82

Reaction Score
Is that from "A New Leaf?" Wonderful movie. I saw it when it came out; it was at the drive in, I was about ten. I'd forgotten about it till probably ten years ago, when it came on AMC or TCM or something. I really loved it.
I wondered if anyone would get the reference. It is a very funny movie that has been largely forgotten.

Reaction Score
Well its a few more days before the 1000th win and with nothing to do today i started thinking about the worst car I ever owned. Turns out its the one I own now :( I assume pretty much everyone has their own horror story so I'll start with mine.
Four years ago I purchased a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a diesel engine. Even tho the diesel was a hefty price adder I was convinced by the salesperson's pitch about their reliability and longevity plus the fuel economy for such a large beast was impressive. Soooo. . .
On the way to visit my son in MD a warning light came on saying the vehicle wouldn't restart in 100 miles as there was an emissions failure. We ended up stranded in a dealership in MD. Some probe fell out - a known issue to Chrysler.
From almost new the car bucked horribly under certain conditions. Eventually Chrysler had the dealership change the heads - car tied up for a week. A month later on RT8 in MA (at night in the cold weather of course) the engine seized up. Chrysler had the dealer change the entire engine. Tied up for a month.
About 6 months later the transmission failed - barely and I mean barely got into the dealership's lot. Chrysler had them change the transmission. Car tied up for 6 weeks.
Then there was the time the brakes barely stopped the car and I almost drove into a restaurant. Eventually the dealership replaced some major part of the brake system (not sure what it was but Chrysler later on had a recall on that).

Worst: 1972 MGB roadster. Never ran well, countless parts replaced, always broke down, often at exactly the wrong time.

Best: 1996 Infiniti I30. Ran forever, very few issues. Finally donated it with 240k on it and still running well.

Favorite: 1997 BMW Z3 roadster. Still have it, drive it almost every day.

arch

Reaction Score
Tie: Fiat128 or Plymouth Horizon.
Fiat body actually separated from the frame leaving the windshield facing east and me facing south while cornering on 44E.
Horizon brakes quit on me while exiting 84E to 91S leaving me facing those big yellow collision cyclinders at 50-60 mph.

Dozens of other issues with both.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
66 Olds Cutlass Convertible. Too many problems to mention. Bought it for $600.00 in 1971. Great chick car.
66 Olds Cutlass Convertible.jpeg

Reaction Score
1936 Pot ne ack ball joint were terrible got 2 quarts of oil per mile. Gasoline? I was too busy dumping bulk oil into it. The best was a 36 for Coupe followed by 1930 Model A Coupe. Both terrifically fun cars both with rumble seats--no heaters.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Worst car: 1973 AMC Hornet. The car came bundled with my wife because her father insisted on her having an “American” car. I was a VW guy at the time of our engagement. He made the down payment, and handed the payment coupons to his daughter (and in effect to me). He was a great guy, a WWII hero, and otherwise a good father-in-law. It took awhile, but I eventually forgave him for the Hornet. It was a good looking car, but a mechanical mess.

It overheated often, and frequently killed in the midst of a slow-speed turn, which I assure you is absolutely terrifying. It refused to idle properly, and lacked anything resembling performance. It had more body roll than a Radio Flyer. It was karma (sort of) that I traded it for a new 1977 VW Rabbit.

Best car? I am about to go drive it one last time before it’s once again winter storage time: 2016 Corvette Stingray.

Reaction Score
Easily a 1977 Chevy Nova that was a couple of years old and relatively low mileage when I bought it. Just about literally everything that could go wrong with a car did, including a cracked head and the finality was when I went to start my car one afternoon and the starter literally fell out onto the ground. I gave away the car to the junkyard immediately after!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Year after year, yes, decade after decade, Jeep Cherokees have been dismal in repair incidence and it never improved when Chrysler bought them. Now a Fiat and a total foreigner it does not surprise that you've suffered this fiasco with this brand. My sympathies.

Reaction Score
My first car ,a 1960 rambler. It was a tank and drove like a battleship. Had to pump the breakes to stop it. Leaky master cylinder. Battleship grey and bench seats.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The "worst" car I ever owned, but absolutely loved, was a 1988 Ford Bronco which I bought when it was 15 years old. A 302 V8 automatic. I bought it to get me around the back roads of MT with it's ground clearance and 4 wheel drive (with the old locking hubs). It was their Eddie Bauer, so it was loaded. Loaded had a different meaning back then. The back window in the lift gate worked sometimes. Dust would filter in through the doors and the electrical, etc, holes in the fire wall. A charitable evaluation would have the suspension being "loose". It's 302 was choked by the emission controls, so it was a slug when I bought it. Off came the emission controls (relax folks, it ran cleaner by far without them), on went a low restriction air intake system, custom headers and tuned dual exhaust, quality shocks etc and I had me my bounce around vehicle. Still leaked like a sieve but it sure sounded pretty when I rev'd the engine. Alas, a worsening dust allergy, forced me to give it up. They are bringing the Bronco label back, but it won't be the same.

Reaction Score
The GM X car. Pontiac version. My wife and I called our X car a former car.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A 1988 Chevy Celebrity - What a POS!! :mad:

It spent more time in my mechanic's garage than mine.

upload_2017-12-16_11-56-47.jpeg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've had a couple of real winners. The worst was a '73 Plymouth, bought new. It stalled on the way home from the dealer. We kept it for 2 years and it was nothing but headaches. Failed to start, stalling at stoplights and leaking everywhere. A close 2nd was a 1988 Celebrity. Weekly "check engine" lights, peeling paint and melting engine parts.

My best car was a 1994 Dodge Ram PU bought new. I just retired it last year.

RMB - We are on our 3rd Jeep GC. All bought new and we've probably put a total of 200K miles on them. They have been in the shop for repairs twice. One for a key fob/lock problem and one for a leaking windshield.

Reaction Score
'94 Mercury Tracer...electrical problems from day one. That's the only car I ever bought that I didn't drive until the day it died. Best car (I'm gonna get killed for this one)-2003 Ford Focus...the kids drove it for years after I'd moved on to other cars. Finally sold it -still running perfectly, but with a shaky front end -at the beginning of 2017.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom