OT: the Tao of Married life | The Boneyard

OT: the Tao of Married life

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Straying from a food thread.

This just happened to me this afternoon running around doing errands.

My wife yells at me ( rightly so, it's dangerous) when I occasionally check text messages while driving. I'm pretty good about not doing it but I'm on call 24/7 for my job and sometimes need a glance .

Anyway, today my wife starts sending me all kinds of messages, which I don't answer (because I'm driving ) and then sent 5 follow ups berating me for not answering her. The rub there is she KNEW I was driving.
When I finally called her and explained my eureka moment of her female hypocrisy, she somehow stayed convinced that this case was different.

What things does your spouse do that make want you to check yourself into the puzzle factory?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll bet anything you heard some variation of:

"Oh please. You know you would have answered immediately if it was one of your [music/sports/beer/food/"internet"] buddies."

And I'll double-down that she's got a less than 50% timely response rate for your texts, because she: "didn't get your text until later for some reason;" "must not have had reception;" or "must have had my phone off and didn't know it."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was going to hardware store to get a couple of new sprinkler heads (Spoiler alert: total cost for sprinkler parts was $30. I'll take that every year).

I'm heading home when Mrs. Diesel calls. I answer on Bluetooth.

Here's the conversation.

Mrs- Are you still at hardware store?
Me- No. I'm about two minutes from being home.

20 seconds of silence.

Mrs- Fine.

I get home and am informed I was a dick on phone.

Reaction Score
That would, unfortunately, be an incorrect assumption.

I would have went to my stand by, "it wasn't me", then I would have went to the back up, "how. . . What. . . When. . . Who. . .?"

Reaction Score
The wife double standard. I say something, and I get criticized. She says the same thing, and I don't criticize her because I could care less she said it. However, I point out the double standard. Never ends well.

This, this, this, and this... I've only been married a few years so I'm still learning. But the double standard thing drives me absolutely insane. My problem is I only bring it up not when she does it but when she criticizes me for doing it. As you state, this does not end well.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'd love to jump in with some funny quip about my wife, but I'll be honest: she puts up with more s#!t from me than I do with her, and it's not close. She's pretty low-maintenence, and I can be kind of hard to deal with when UConn or the Mets have a rough night.

Reaction Score
A wise man (who I thought was insane when he told me this) told me before I got married that the best way to keep the peace was to always get the last words in....he then said they're "Yes Dear".....problem is my wife knows I'm patronizing her when I pull that so I lose anyways, I'll never learn to just comply.

Reaction Score
This, this, this, and this... I've only been married a few years so I'm still learning. But the double standard thing drives me absolutely insane. My problem is I only bring it up not when she does it but when she criticizes me for doing it. As you state, this does not end well.
+100

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Ironically, she tells me to choose my battles.

And then she gets mad at me when that was the battle I chose to choose.

That's annoying.

Reaction Score
I'd love to jump in with some funny quip about my wife, but I'll be honest: she puts up with more s#!t from me than I do with her, and it's not close. She's pretty low-maintenence, and I can be kind of hard to deal with when UConn or the Mets have a rough night.
For this you shall get no likes due to our collective jealousy and spite.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I get very little grief from my wife - far less than I deserve, any way. I must be incredibly annoying to deal with and she rarely complains.

The only exceptions would be....

1) She'll routinely expect me to be at places where I'd need a rocket ship to even have a chance. If I'm an hour away, she'll ask if I can be home in 45 minutes. Even if you have a very solid reason for saying no, like not owning a helicopter, I feel like you still get perceived demerit for having said no.

2) This has happened before but it just happened now and it involves you people. Nights after UConn games I tend to get a lot of texts and no matter which one of my friends sent it, the Boneyard gets blamed...zls just texted me about the hockey game and my wife half-woke up on the couch and said, "Oh, would you please tell that stupid website to go to bed."

Reaction Score
I get very little grief from my wife - far less than I deserve, any way. I must be incredibly annoying to deal with and she rarely complains.

The only exceptions would be....

1) She'll routinely expect me to be at places where I'd need a rocket ship to even have a chance. If I'm an hour away, she'll ask if I can be home in 45 minutes. Even if you have a very solid reason for saying no, like not owning a helicopter, I feel like you still get perceived demerit for having said no.

2) This has happened before but it just happened now and it involves you people. Nights after UConn games I tend to get a lot of texts and no matter which one of my friends sent it, the Boneyard gets blamed...zls just texted me about the hockey game and my wife half-woke up on the couch and said, "Oh, would you please tell that stupid website to go to bed."

That's just great. Mrs. Fishy will go on her own throat punching rampage....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom