OT: The tales of a college basketball student manager | The Boneyard

OT: The tales of a college basketball student manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Article from Dana O'Neil at ESPN.com. Just kind of interesting to see what student managers do.

I'm curious, do we have any former UConn student managers on here? If so, what years did you work? So do they tell you that whatever happens with the team can't be repeated? Would be interesting to hear any good stories that you can tell.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I was a student manager for my first semester only - 1993. It's not for everyone. Limited experiences so limited memories but what I can recall:
  • All of the guys were very cool and respectful.
  • Best part was after-practice shootarounds with guys like Sheffer, KO, John Gwynn (I think he was playing in the CBA and would stop in to work out, he would only count "shots made" if they didn't touch the rim)
  • Eric Hayward got yelled at - a lot
  • Doron dunked during practice warmups for the first couple of practices. After seeing guys like Kirk, Ray and Donyell, he switched to layups only.
  • They would do a rebounding "gauntlet" drill where each guy would have to box out a teammate from the top of the key and grab a rebound. You kept going if you didn't get the rebound. Marcus Thomas was the smallest guy on the team. He got stuck in the gauntlet - he was completely exhausted, just could not get a rebound to save his life and got progressively more tired. I think someone felt sorry for him and finally dogged it so he could grab a board.
  • Joe was one of the managers. Did not know him well but RIP.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
All I can add to this discussion is that being close friends with the team manager is a hell of a good gig. Lots of great seats in Maui, Final Fours, etc. and some really neat opportunities to meet players, coaches and their families. My experience is that the coaches and players have a ton of respect for the managers and treat them tremendously well. If he or she happens to read this post, thank you! Miss you!

Last edited:

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
All I can add to this discussion is that being close friends with the team manager is a hell of a good gig. Lots of great seats in Maui, Final Fours, etc. and some really neat opportunities to meet players, coaches and their families. My experience is that the coaches and players have a ton of respect for the managers and treat them tremendously well. If he or she happens to read this post, thank you! Miss you!

Always better to be friends with the guy who owns the boat rather than the guy who owns it. :)

Reaction Score
Currently waiting to here back about my managerial application for this upcoming season. Wish me luck. Tons of kids apply for the gig.
Hear*. I swear college has made me more intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom