OT - The Sun Head Coach Search | The Boneyard

OT - The Sun Head Coach Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard a realistic name forwarded that would be an improvement over Coach T? John A mentioned a few names mostly, if not entirely, toungue-in-cheek. C'mon Tibeault haters, you got what you wanted... now what?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson suggested Phil Jackson.

psconn

Reaction Score
I'm serious. I have to believe you know that that is a ridiculous suggestion and highlights how Kara felt about Coach T.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Oh, well, if you're being SERIOUS, then I think Jenn Rizzotti is a serious alternative. She has WNBA experience as a player and international as well as collegiate experience as a head coach. She is young enough to relate to the players and full of competitive fire. It would be an excellent stepping stone to the eventual UConn job for her to win a WNBA championship with the Sun.

Reaction Score
The key thing psconn asks for is someone that we KNOW will do a better job than Mike did. I can say that isn't possible to do. The man took them to the playoffs almost every year.

There are excellent candidates for a head coaching job in the WNBA out there, but it's impossible to say that someone will definitely be able to match that.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Somewhere in the past few days I read that Thibeault may well wind up as coach and
GM of the Washington Mystics....said organization being pretty much a mess at this point.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've been one that has said its time for Coach T to leave. IMHO he's gotten the Sun to the highest level he can and it was time for a change. I can't recall a single big game with everything on the line that his team has won. He's a great coach for the regular season and okay in the first round of the playoffs but after that he hasn't gotten it done. When you have the best record in the conference, you should win and get into the finals and he hasn't accomplished that the last two years. He's won the most games in the WNBA because he coached the longest. He had 9 years to get a WNBA title and didn't accomplish it. Other coaches and GM's have been able to rebuild their teams and gotten titles and the Sun haven't.

Who should replace him, I don't know. Hopefully the Sun will get it right and chose a young dynamic coach that can win in the Conference Finals and ultimately get the Championship.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck -- you know, she coached Purdue to a National Championship in just two years.

psconn

Reaction Score
Swishin' mentions "excellent candidates"... care to throw out a name or two? I see no point in getting rid of an acknowledged excellent coach if there is no upgrade in the offing. If the Sun get this choice wrong it could kill the frachise. I doubt the Ct fanbase will tolerate a long drought.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
What about Anne Donovan? Seriously, she did well with the Seattle Storm, and losing at Seton Hall has to be wearing on her. I had heard a while back that she came to the east coast to be close to family. Well, CT is pretty close to Jersey, all things considered.....just one woman's thoughts....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm available. Though not sure how serious people might take that. :rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think Jen might be an interesting choice as she would be popular with the fans and she can coach. Can she coach pros, I'm not sure and that would be a gamble. From Jen's perspective it might also be a good career move to coach at the next level and remain in the State of CT. Obviously she's had other coaching opportunities and for what ever reason she did not want to leave Hartford. I'm sure coaching the Sun would result in a pay raise while with may other High Profile college coaches it would not be. If Geno did decided to leave after this new contract ends and Jen had success in the WNBA, she would be a natural to be Geno's replacement.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I gave them notice that I was not available.

mr006

Reaction Score
I would hope that the Sun management would have some ideas in mind before releasing the coach. If I myself had ideas, I wouldn't be doing my current job :)

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
The old misdirection card – now they'll want you more than ever. Well played.

There's only room enough in this area for two bears an' we'll run his shaggy old white pelt clear back to the North Pole.

Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck -- you know, she coached Purdue to a National Championship in just two years.

:eek:

That would keep her off the air for the WNBA season at least. Not such a bad idea....

psconn

Reaction Score
John A: "I am sure the management of the Connecticut Sun must understand by now it was a big mistake firing Mike Thibault" Worse yet: "Little birdies are chirping that the veterans are very angry about this decision. One or two may have even told their bosses that they are." "This is Connecticut. God forbid it turns into Tulsa."

Holy Crap. This makes me sick. :(

Reaction Score
Oh, well, if you're being SERIOUS, then I think Jenn Rizzotti is a serious alternative. She has WNBA experience as a player and international as well as collegiate experience as a head coach. She is young enough to relate to the players and full of competitive fire. It would be an excellent stepping stone to the eventual UConn job for her to win a WNBA championship with the Sun.

She would be nuts to take a WNBA coaching job. Cut in pay and no future. Unlikely to go from Sun to quality college coaching job. She will get one of the really good WCBB jobs when her kids get older and she is ready to move from Hartford.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Fair View -- I hope you are being sarcastic. The Championship Carolyn Peck won at Purdue was with players recruited and developed by the previous (and very talented) coach.

Peck left Purdue to coach the WNBA team in Orlando -- and had minuscule success there ------- or anywhere else in the past 20 years. I have spoken with Carolyn on numerous occasions. and have found her to be a long way from impressive. Regardless, she has a very high opinion of herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom