OT: The scope of the recent Dodgers-Red Sox trade. . . | The Boneyard

OT: The scope of the recent Dodgers-Red Sox trade. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . redefines the term "blockbuster."

Also evokes the advice of the immortal W.C. Fields: "Never give a sucker an even break."

Begin with an ownership group fronted by Magic Johnson purchasing the Dodgers for over two Billion bucks from the chintzy McCourts. Fast forward to their acquisition of a batch of talented players from many other teams (read about that elsewhere if you wish).

Then they became enchanted with the notion that first baseman Adrian Gonzalez (solid hitter and Gold Glove fielder) would be the player to lead the Dodgers to the promised land. So they went after him, much to the surprise and delight of the beseiged Red Sox management.

The Dodgers got their man. He is now 31 and his best years are likely behind him. The Dodgers are on the hook to pay him $127 million over the next 6 years. In 2018, when he is 36, they will pay him $21.5 million.

To get Gonzo, the Dodgers also had to take Josh Beckett, formerly an ace but now renowned for a diminishing fastball, a general orneryness, and an insatiable appetite for fried chicken (and beer to better slosh it down, during games, in the clubhouse yet). He was 5-11 with the Sox, is now 0-1 with the Dodgers, and will be paid $31.5 million over the next two years (including $15.75 million in 2014 at age 34).

Apparently, in an act of extreme chutzpah, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington tried to foist John Lackey on the Dodgers but that was so over-the-top that it was indigestible. So he graciously sent them Carl Crawford instead. CC spent two injury-plagued seasons in Boston, he is now 31 and has 5 more years and $102.5 million to go on his contract. And, oh yeah, he just underwent Tommy John surgery so won't play this season.

The thought that leaps to mind: What were they thinking?

Reaction Score
This is a down year for the Sox, and this trade is the end of a bad period for the Sox. It's also probably going to get worse in Boston before it gets better. I hope they accept that and don't spend all the money this year on bad free agents. That's what landed them Crawford and Lackey, the best players in a bad free agent year.

What I don't understand is the national media's take on the trade. They seem to universally think the Dodgers did well here. The Dodgers got absolutely fleeced in a historical manner here. It's inconceivable to me that they actually took on all these contracts. Even considering they can, why would you overpay this much. Even the most homer Sox fan wouldn't of suggested anyone would take on Crawford's contract little lone give prospects in return for it.

The only guy I've heard with that point of view was Buster Olney who said he was polling baseball executives who to a man couldn't believe they took on the contracts and gave up prospects.

Reaction Score
. . . redefines the term "blockbuster."

Also evokes the advice of the immortal W.C. Fields: "Never give a sucker an even break."

Begin with an ownership group fronted by Magic Johnson purchasing the Dodgers for over two Billion bucks from the chintzy McCourts. Fast forward to their acquisition of a batch of talented players from many other teams (read about that elsewhere if you wish).

Then they became enchanted with the notion that first baseman Adrian Gonzalez (solid hitter and Gold Glove fielder) would be the player to lead the Dodgers to the promised land. So they went after him, much to the surprise and delight of the beseiged Red Sox management.

The Dodgers got their man. He is now 31 and his best years are likely behind him. The Dodgers are on the hook to pay him $127 million over the next 6 years. In 2018, when he is 36, they will pay him $21.5 million.

To get Gonzo, the Dodgers also had to take Josh Beckett, formerly an ace but now renowned for a diminishing fastball, a general orneryness, and an insatiable appetite for fried chicken (and beer to better slosh it down, during games, in the clubhouse yet). He was 5-11 with the Sox, is now 0-1 with the Dodgers, and will be paid $31.5 million over the next two years (including $15.75 million in 2014 at age 34).

Apparently, in an act of extreme chutzpah, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington tried to foist John Lackey on the Dodgers but that was so over-the-top that it was indigestible. So he graciously sent them Carl Crawford instead. CC spent two injury-plagued seasons in Boston, he is now 31 and has 5 more years and $102.5 million to go on his contract. And, oh yeah, he just underwent Tommy John surgery so won't play this season.

The thought that leaps to mind: What were they thinking?
They are hoping that California sunshine rolls back a few years on those guys. They want immediate results.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Shoot I was hoping the Dogers would take Bobby Valentine, too. Oh, well, you can't get everything, or rather, get rid of everything.

Reaction Score
Shoot I was hoping the Dogers would take Bobby Valentine, too. Oh, well, you can't get everything, or rather, get rid of everything.
Valentine started his major league career as a Dodger. He was a major prospect who had a few very good years, but injuries limited his playing ability. He was feisty and competitive then as he is now.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
BobbyV caught his spikes in a chain link fence...a horrible and career ending/limiting injury.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One of two things will happen.

If Valentine returns, he will surely insist on hiring his own coaches. It is simply unimaginable that he was saddled with coaches selected and hired by management.

If Valentine is let go there may be some credence to the suggestion (by Curt Schilling) that Varitek will get the job.

Reaction Score
Agree it's amazing how this has been covered. Think the press would have noticed if the Sox had gotten Vin Scully? Wild-spending Dodgers got taken to the cleaners, and the Sox are much better off (with some good young pitching coming in). Kudos to Cherington for pulling this off...now we'll see if he can sanely rebuild a team that needs some work.

Historically, what do you think were the most lopsided trades? Flood/Broglio? Robinson/Pappas? Bagwell/Andersen? Not lopsided (just stupid): Colavito/Kuenn.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Agree it's amazing how this has been covered. Think the press would have noticed if the Sox had gotten Vin Scully? Wild-spending Dodgers got taken to the cleaners, and the Sox are much better off (with some good young pitching coming in). Kudos to Cherington for pulling this off...now we'll see if he can sanely rebuild a team that needs some work.

Historically, what do you think were the most lopsided trades? Flood/Broglio? Robinson/Pappas? Bagwell/Andersen? Not lopsided (just stupid): Colavito/Kuenn.

Excellent post...stupid Frank Lane!!!!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Well, the top of the list HAS to be the Red Sox selling pitcher Babe Ruth to the Yankees! No trade will ever top that.

But, the Mets trading 24 year old Nolan Ryan to the Angels for Jim Fregosi has to be right up there.

In 1993, The Dodgers traded Pedro Martinez to Montreal for Delino DeShields. Martinez won the Cy Young in 1997.

The Cubs traded Lou Brock to the Cardinals in 1964.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
More recently, the Sox acquired Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe from Seattle for a fading Heathcliff Slocumb

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
More recently, the Sox acquired Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe from Seattle for a fading Heathcliff Slocumb
I was just going to post that. You beat me to it.

Reaction Score

You might be thinking Lou Brock there. Curt Flood refused to accept a trade to Philadelphia, an unpopular decision back them; Extremely gutsy. We all know the result today whether we ever heard of Curt Fllo or not.

Reaction Score
You might be thinking Lou Brock there. Curt Flood refused to accept a trade to Philadelphia, an unpopular decision back them; Extremely gutsy. We all know the result today whether we ever heard of Curt Fllo or not.
Absolutely, thought Brock, wrote Flood. Well, same number of letters!

Reaction Score
Absolutely, thought Brock, wrote Flood. Well, same number of letters!

I have posted a story on the Boneyard I enjoy telling of the homerun I saw Lou Brock hit in the Polo Grounds as a Chicago Cub. I swear that ball was still rising when it hit the Rheingold sign 475 feet out.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I would love to see Tek come in for BobbyV.

Reaction Score
I agree with the media that the Dodgers did well here. They picked up two excellent players in Gonzalez and Crawford, regardless of what Sox fans and the Boston media think of them. In return the Sox get a free agent to be in Loney, two average hitters in Sands and DeJesus, one middle of the rotation starter (TINSSAPP) prospect (AA), and a future reliever coming off TJ surgery.

And a bunch of salary flexibility for the same people to spend that bought DiceK, Lackey, Crawford, and Gonzalez.

And I got a reason to change my avatar

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
I agree with the media that the Dodgers did well here. They picked up two excellent players in Gonzalez and Crawford, regardless of what Sox fans and the Boston media think of them. In return the Sox get a free agent to be in Loney, two average hitters in Sands and DeJesus, one middle of the rotation starter (TINSSAPP) prospect (AA), and a future reliever coming off TJ surgery.

And a bunch of salary flexibility for the same people to spend that bought DiceK, Lackey, Crawford, and Gonzalez.

And I got a reason to change my avatar
RedSox1.jpg

You don't think the Sox simply need new clubhouse leadership – like their captain stepped up and provided throughout the Beer & Chicken rally collapse teaching moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom