OT - The Rise, Then Shame, of Baylor Nation (NYT) | The Boneyard

OT - The Rise, Then Shame, of Baylor Nation (NYT)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Reading it at times, my mind wandered and I couldn't help but wonder if I was reading a Jameis Winston/FSU article. I wonder how many schools have stories just like this. The cynic in me thinks a fair portion of the top 10 football schools could have this same thing going on.

Reaction Score
Reading it at times, my mind wandered and I couldn't help but wonder if I was reading a Jameis Winston/FSU article. I wonder how many schools have stories just like this. The cynic in me thinks a fair portion of the top 10 football schools could have this same thing going on.

As bad as the FSU situation was in my mind, there is a difference between looking the other way when someone acts badly and the institution almost setting the stage for the bad actions to occur, and then pretending it didn't happen.

Reaction Score
As bad as the FSU situation was in my mind, there is a difference between looking the other way when someone acts badly and the institution almost setting the stage for the bad actions to occur, and then pretending it didn't happen.

If you have a look at both LSU and Washington under Emmert, I think those schools fit your definition. Both schools put extreme pressure on the victims to recant. Look up the Roc Alexander situation at UW, and look up what happened with the Dept. AD there when she interviewed the student assistant who was raped. Then look at what Emmert did.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If you have a look at both LSU and Washington under Emmert, I think those schools fit your definition. Both schools put extreme pressure on the victims to recant. Look up the Roc Alexander situation at UW, and look up what happened with the Dept. AD there when she interviewed the student assistant who was raped. Then look at what Emmert did.
What happened at LSU?

Reaction Score
What happened at LSU?

LSU wasn't a sex assault scandal. It was just Emmert retaliating against whistle blowers. I remembered it wrong. They changed grades of football players, and Emmert investigated it and covered it up. Here is a good sized section from a much longer article (this should fall within the 10% rule for copyright):

"Scandal broke in 2001-02. A university instructor accused the school of having systemic academic fraud in its football program, including plagiarized papers and un-enrolled students showing up to take notes for football players, who often slept through class. A graduate assistant also spoke out about the plagiarism problem.

"Led by Emmert, LSU investigated the fraud allegations and said they found only five minor isolated problems, resulting in a self-imposed penalty of two lost scholarships in football. "Despite isolated incidents, the allegations were largely unfounded," says LSU's 82-page report on the allegations.

"The NCAA accepted LSU's findings in May 2004 and declined to put the school on probation. But the two female accusers had sued LSU, claiming they were forced from their jobs at the university in retaliation for blowing the whistle on the powerful football program.

"Shortly after the NCAA case was settled and Emmert announced he was leaving for Washington, another LSU academic counseling employee backed up the women's claims under oath, saying there were numerous examples of favoritism for football players in academics, including changed grades and having papers written for them.

"LSU later paid the two women more than $110,000 each to settle their lawsuits.

"A person who worked for LSU as an academic counselor in athletics at the time said the investigation was a whitewash designed to minimize damage. The person asked not to be identified for fear of reprisals.

"They'd interviewed the people they wanted to," the person said. "It was typical, let's get together and do damage control and construct a narrative that will allow us to say, 'OK, we've done something wrong here, but it ain't that bad.'"

"The attorney for the accusers, Jill Craft, said that "LSU's self-report was way downplayed to what they were originally told and what my clients reported. In fact, the evidence that shook out over time revealed that the academic issues, especially in football, were systemic."

Emmert disputes that.

"The facts speak for themselves," Emmert said. "We went from an athletic program that was underperforming dramatically in the classroom to one that was performing well. We completely changed the leadership of that enterprise. We brought in a whole new (management) team. We worked closely with the NCAA and with the SEC and dealt with the issue."

"Asked if the two accusers were removed because they spoke out against the football program, Emmert said, "Not that I'm aware of, and I have no reason to believe that's a true allegation."

"It may be cynical, but with Mark Emmert, I saw a pattern," LSU physics professor Ravi Rau said. Rau said Emmert "feathered his nest" with sports success at UConn and LSU to boost his candidacy for new jobs with bigger salaries."

Reaction Score
If Baylor was capable of feeling shame things wouldn't have gone this far. They are a disgrace to higher education and athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom