OT: The Lion Whisperer | The Boneyard

OT: The Lion Whisperer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
He reminds me a lot of the bear whisperer from a few years ago. The last thing heard from him wasn't a whisper though.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
He reminds me a lot of the bear whisperer from a few years ago. The last thing heard from him wasn't a whisper though.

I hope you don't mean the foul mouthed, unbalanced guy that brought tragedy to his girl friend and himself.
I think this lion guy is made of healthier stuff.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

He wasn't a whisperer. He was an idiot, who, as noted, not only got himself killed, but his girlfriend. He forgot the most basic, most important fundamental - respect. Respect for the strength, capacity, and wildness of a great animal. This doesn't just apply to predators. More folks are injured in Yellowstone by bison than any other animal - because the bison doesn't behave nervous or intimidated by humans, folks come too close to 'em. The people forget that's a half-ton wild animal, designed to defend itself against wolves, lions, and bears (oh, my!). Some idiot with a Minolta doesn't stand a chance, should the bison opt to create some space.

Years ago, in Maine, I saw a scenario that was rife with nasty possibilities. There was a big, big, bull moose grazing in someone's yard, just 30 feet into somebody's front yard. A line of cars had parked to take pictures. There was a steady flow of traffic, in between the cars parked on either side of the road. Some overweight soul, in sky-blue tight shorts, decided they had to get reeeaalll close to the moose for a picture. They placed themselves between a rock and a hard place - between a 1,000 lb bull moose, and a line of cars, backed by a flow of steady traffic. And, started getting closer to the moose.

Through the providence that protects stupid people, the moose only reared his head up and stared at the moron. If the moose had decided to charge, the photographer had only two choices: hit by moose, or hit by car. Ya gotta leave yourself a better option than those.

Reaction Score
To me, guys like this are human granola bars. Kept around for when the lion pals get hungry.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
My guess is that the visuals show a guy accepted by the pride and that is all inclusive. Since lions are a social animal, I would not expect any individual lion to turn on the human. Bears however, are solitary beasts. Any one of these 1000 pound animals is free to decide himself to attack.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
People are totally dumb around wild animals. At the Grand Canyon I saw people with little kids go to within a few yards of moose to try and get pictures, despite warning signs all over the place to stay away from animals.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
People are totally dumb around wild animals. At the Grand Canyon I saw people with little kids go to within a few yards of moose to try and get pictures, despite warning signs all over the place to stay away from animals.
Yep. You should try living in Africa as we did for 10+ years. Every year a handful of tourists were killed by wild animals, largely as a result of their own stupidity.

Even here on Hilton Head, tourists routinely think it'd be cute to feed an alligator or take a photo standing next to one.

And Wire, yes, lions are "social animals" but trust me... they have bad days too.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yep. You should try living in Africa as we did for 10+ years. Every year a handful of tourists were killed by wild animals, largely as a result of their own stupidity.

Even here on Hilton Head, tourists routinely think it'd be cute to feed an alligator or take a photo standing next to one.

And Wire, yes, lions are "social animals" but trust me... they have bad days too.

Sure, pap, but the bottom line is the guy is doing what he wants. Are risks involved? Well, yes, but even America has scads of risk-takers.
Like soldiers. As Pink Floyd asks us in song, "Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom