OT: The End of the NFL | The Boneyard

OT: The End of the NFL

Reaction Score
Mark Twain once quipped that reports of his death were greatly exaggerated. But what of the NFL?

In the Time magazine issue of Sept. 18, Sean Gregory writes on page 25 that a “dark shadow” has been cast over professional football's future. Why? Because of the Colin Kaepernick “boycott” and because of the brain damage done to so many who have played the game. Add to that the annual allegations of wife/girlfriend beatings, and you have an unsavory product. Well, if not unsavory, at least the collective cause of a 9% drop in last year's TV ratings. Bang.

Avoiding the politics of the Kaepernick affair, it seems unlikely to me that the NFL will sink because of the young man's behavior. When the unemployed QB came to Baltimore recently to audition for a back-up job, he is reported to have said that he would be willing to stand for the national anthem if that would help. But no teddy bear. The league seems to have decided it can do without controversy.

As for the brain injury, the results of a recent JAMA report are startling. In the cases of the examination of 110 brains from deceased NFL players, fully 99% had a degenerative brain disease. It seems pretty clear that running into large people at high speed is dangerous to your health and is likely to shorten your life and/or destroy the quality of it. Some young players have recently retired to avoid future harm. The inherent violence in football is why I, a life-long fan, stopped watching the sport (and boxing many years ago). Am I not alone?

Frankly, I don't believe that the NFL is in any danger of disappearing. Not because of Colin, or damaged brains, or beating up on women (or my abandonment). There's too much money to ignore—as with boxing (see Mayweather, Floyd). The drop in TV watching may be due to the flood of alternative entertainments, especially the ubiquity of high-quality streaming options.

But who knows?

Reaction Score
From your computer to God's ear (or His Apple Watch, or whatever....)

I watch NFL sometimes and good college games also, but I don't feel great about it, and it's become so ritualized that it's getting boring. If enough parents keep their high schoolers from playing, that will gradually have an effect on quality of play. But sports is America's civic religion and there is no fall sport to replace football, since, unlike lacrosse and soccer, it can be played in bad weather. Hard to see how Americans will gather around something else.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When I watch the NFL, I get a creepy feeling also. It's like standing outside a seedy bar and standing by the window trying to glimpse the stripper. It just feels dirty.
wtf-face.jpg

I have no words...

Reaction Score
Mark Twain once quipped that reports of his death were greatly exaggerated. But what of the NFL?

In the Time magazine issue of Sept. 18, Sean Gregory writes on page 25 that a “dark shadow” has been cast over professional football's future. Why? Because of the Colin Kaepernick “boycott” and because of the brain damage done to so many who have played the game. Add to that the annual allegations of wife/girlfriend beatings, and you have an unsavory product. Well, if not unsavory, at least the collective cause of a 9% drop in last year's TV ratings. Bang.

Avoiding the politics of the Kaepernick affair, it seems unlikely to me that the NFL will sink because of the young man's behavior. When the unemployed QB came to Baltimore recently to audition for a back-up job, he is reported to have said that he would be willing to stand for the national anthem if that would help. But no teddy bear. The league seems to have decided it can do without controversy.

As for the brain injury, the results of a recent JAMA report are startling. In the cases of the examination of 110 brains from deceased NFL players, fully 99% had a degenerative brain disease. It seems pretty clear that running into large people at high speed is dangerous to your health and is likely to shorten your life and/or destroy the quality of it. Some young players have recently retired to avoid future harm. The inherent violence in football is why I, a life-long fan, stopped watching the sport (and boxing many years ago). Am I not alone?

Frankly, I don't believe that the NFL is in any danger of disappearing. Not because of Colin, or damaged brains, or beating up on women (or my abandonment). There's too much money to ignore—as with boxing (see Mayweather, Floyd). The drop in TV watching may be due to the flood of alternative entertainments, especially the ubiquity of high-quality streaming options.

But who knows?
I don't think the NFL is going anywhere soon.

I don't condone domestic violence, but do you really think that's new? Suspect it's just the reporting of it that's new. And that's a good development IMO.

Regarding Kaepernick, it was reported (by Ray Lewis, so FWIW...) that he would have a job already in Baltimore if his girlfriend hadn't sent out a tweet comparing the team owner to a slave owner. He auditioned for Miami too, but going around in a Che Guevara t-shirt just doesn't play well with the Cuban fan base there. I respect his protest, and I think there are some teams that need a quarterback and would look past his national anthem thing, but he keeps shooting himself in the foot. Is he doing this on purpose so he can remain a martyr?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last year SF 49er's record was 2-14. Colin is a really bad luck person.
This year no team wants him because no one wants to have a 2-14 record.

Colin Kaepernick's act is a non-starter for Jeffrey Lurie's Eagles | Marcus Hayes

Kapernick threw for 16 tds against only 4 interceptions... Had a passing rating of 90.7. I think the reason they went 2-14 has more to with having the least talented roster in the NFL as well as having a crap coach.

LOL @ the eagles.. How many super bowls has that franchise won... Must be tough to be the only franchise in their division without at least three super bowl titles. Clowns :cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
wtf-face.jpg

I have no words...

It might have been better had I none as well? Happy here anyway. My new UConn "Jonathon" tee shirts showed up today in the mail, so it's all good.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The inherent violence in football is why I, a life-long fan, stopped watching the sport (and boxing many years ago). Am I not alone?

Same here, but I stopped 35 years ago.

As for a fall sport, is there any gap between baseball and basketball (or hockey) any more? Soccer is gaining momentum, and it is a fall sport in many places.

Reaction Score
The violence has turned me off. The excitement of great hits is really a turn off. People are getting hurt and we revel in the gotchas. A list of team injuries one year showed, if I recall correctly, that each team had many injured players. That to me is not fun. I'm glad that guys can make good money doing that but on the other hand there are so many injuries. The guys who have gone off the deep end, and many are class people, does not sit well with me. I played soccer in college and thought that it would take over in the states but its a long time coming. There's danger in soccer too, kicks and other injuries but not as devastating as football.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry, I still enjoy football - but, some caveats. I am pleased that (especially college) steps have been taken to at least try to reduce injuries, they might have lost me if they continued to ignore the situation. I accept that injuries are part of the game, they are the part I least enjoy. We were 9 rows up from Eric LeGrand's injury.

My biggest complaints with the college game are the length of the game and the coaching salaries. As to the NFL - it is their arbitrary and odd punishments and reactions to controversies. As to the bad behavior with women, I am a "one second chance" person, after appropriate legal punishment. I know there are some folks who think "no second chance" and I understand it, but it really bothers me when I still hear people hating on Ray Rice, who has dedicated his post football life to speaking out about domestic violence.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When I watch the NFL, I get a creepy feeling also. It's like standing outside a seedy bar and standing by the window trying to glimpse the stripper. It just feels dirty.

See.....this is why I always go inside.

Why 'feel' dirty when you can be dirty???:rolleyes:
I don't know if it's so much being "dirty" as being a "cheapskate". Go in, pay her. (or him) :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From your computer to God's ear (or His Apple Watch, or whatever....)

I watch NFL sometimes and good college games also, but I don't feel great about it, and it's become so ritualized that it's getting boring. If enough parents keep their high schoolers from playing, that will gradually have an effect on quality of play. But sports is America's civic religion and there is no fall sport to replace football, since, unlike lacrosse and soccer, it can be played in bad weather. Hard to see how Americans will gather around something else.
Huh?

CITY-SOCCER-master1050.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love football and still watch it religiously, but like many posters I have become uncomfortable with some of the consequences of the collisions.

Just about every single male in my family played football, including my grandfather, father, brother, myself and my son. On balance, playing football was a positive experience for all of us. But my brother and I both suffered concussions playing the game in college. While I loved watching my son play the game, I'm glad his playing days are over.

If my son and his wife produce a grandson some day, I would be just fine if he decided to play anything other than football, including the clarinet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kapernick threw for 16 tds against only 4 interceptions... Had a passing rating of 90.7. I think the reason they went 2-14 has more to with having the least talented roster in the NFL as well as having a crap coach.

LOL @ the eagles.. How many super bowls has that franchise won... Must be tough to be the only franchise in their division without at least three super bowl titles. Clowns :cool:

Cold.png

Reaction Score
Football injuries became much more personal when my son suffered a concussion in front of me while I was helping with the chain gang during one of his games. That was the last one he played in. Not too upset about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom