OT: The Definitive Guide to Cord-Cutting in 2016, Based on Your Habits | The Boneyard

OT: The Definitive Guide to Cord-Cutting in 2016, Based on Your Habits

Reaction Score
I'm wondering what the "UConn fan" style would look like? As far as I know, there isn't any system that will show all of our games (football and basketball) because of CBSSN. To be honest, the whole reason I still pay for cable is because I get SNY, CBSSN and most of the ESPN channels, about 98% of our games.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain Playstation Vue doesn't offer SNY and I'm almost positive it doesn't offer CBSSN (and am not sure about the other ESPN networks like ESPN U and ESPNNEWS). So basically this "Sports Addict" solution they offer is only if you're a Yankees fan or only watch ESPN.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm wondering what the "UConn fan" style would look like? As far as I know, there isn't any system that will show all of our games (football and basketball) because of CBSSN. To be honest, the whole reason I still pay for cable is because I get SNY, CBSSN and most of the ESPN channels, about 98% of our games.
I'm fairly certain Playstation Vue doesn't offer SNY and I'm almost positive it doesn't offer CBSSN (and am not sure about the other ESPN networks like ESPN U and ESPNNEWS). So basically this "Sports Addict" solution they offer is only if you're a Yankees fan or only watch ESPN.
Yeah, I never really consider cutting the cord because this is the conclusion I reach every time I look into it. As a Mets fan I at least feel a little better about getting both the Mets and Huskies on SNY.

I do need to see if there is a bundle that keeps all the sports stations but eliminates a lot of the premium movie channels that we never use.

Reaction Score
So currently i have access to ESPN Watch, will that let me see a majority of games? I wonder what i would gain by getting sling tv... I'd like to avoid it, but if i have to get it to watch i will.

Reaction Score
Sling won't get you any closer.

I've really been struggling with this. I cancelled cable in the offseason, but I still have internet, and the networks through Xfinity (for NFL games). The cost difference between what I have now, and the cable tier that gets me CBSSN is like $100/month. I'm tempted to just go to a bar for those games and invest in drinks and food instead of Comcast's profits. But I can't DVR games very well if I don't have the channels.

I do have a login for Xfinity from my parent's cable, but I don't think it'll let you watch those channels without being on the local network.

Sling is fine and all, but you can't record/rewatch most sports content.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I just cut the cord. I've got PlayStation Vue. The only channel that I miss is CBSSN. CBS's online offerings are really awful too. I'm out of market for my NHL and MLB teams so I'm paying for those packages anyway even with DirecTV. I do get Comcast Sports Net Philly with PlayStation view... so you might get something similar where you live... maybe SNY but I can't say for sure. I'm on Vue's Elite tier...

I'm saving about $100/month vs DirecTV and I get effectively the same content. No I don't get every regional sports network, but there was a ton of repeat content. I suppose if I watched local NESN programming other than Red Sox games I'd care... but I never watched that stuff.

Reaction Score
I do have a login for Xfinity from my parent's cable, but I don't think it'll let you watch those channels without being on the local network.

Nope, it works anywhere. I use my parent's Xfinity login from my home 45 minutes away and it works just fine.

Reaction Score
Nope, it works anywhere. I use my parent's Xfinity login from my home 45 minutes away and it works just fine.

I got a blackout notice the other day for something. They flag certain events as blacked out online in either local markets, like ESPN3 will black out events that are being broadcast on regional networks, or the cable operator will black out live content on certain channels when you aren't on your home network. It's not everything, just certain events.

Have you done this with CBSSN? SNY? I guess I'll give it a shot this season and see how it goes early on.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
IMHO, this article isn't worth half the bandwidth it occupies, if only because "sports addict" is a misnomer.

As a 39 year old father and husband, I can probably count on one hand the games I've watched from from beginning to end that did not involve my favorite team in that sport over the last half decade. I'm not as much a sports addict as I am a UConn/New England pro/Washington Redskins junkie. Most cord cutting alternatives grant reasonable access to national channels and "broad appeal" games, but most non-NFL programming are on regional networks and it's probably not worth the services to carry all of them.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I can help people with cord cutting.

When My daughter was born (and this is 100% unadulterated story) They had to give my wife an episiotomy (I dont want to look up the spelling, thinking about it again is bad enough, anyway for the lay people who cant read my phonics it means they had to cut her down there to facilitate the baby getting out.) So anyway there was a lot of blood and Im a squeamish. So as they are finally pulling my Daughter out with the aid of a suction cup and a cut nether region, I half-faint from the site of all the blood. the nurses leave the drs side as he is delivering and put me in a chair. and someone gave me a smelling salt. Not but seconds later the baby is fully delivered and Im still a bit woozy but awake and they ask me to come cut the cord.

Well I was so freaked out still, and my ears were still ringing, so I didnt really understand the instructions. They handed me a sharp implement and I guess the Dr. was holding an area of the cord and I was supposed to cut "in between" the area he was presenting.
In my state I didnt grasp that fact and Cut closer to my wife and well outside the "area" presented. I wondered why the Dr. slapped my hand as I went to cut, but it was too late. But when he slapped my hand Id only cut 1/2 way through.

It created some kind of issue I cant quite recall.

Anyway as a service to all future fathers the NY times needs to do a guide on THAT type of cord cutting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can help people with cord cutting.

When My daughter was born (and this is 100% unadulterated story) They had to give my wife an episiotomy (I dont want to look up the spelling, thinking about it again is bad enough, anyway for the lay people who cant read my phonics it means they had to cut her down there to facilitate the baby getting out.) So anyway there was a lot of blood and Im a squeamish. So as they are finally pulling my Daughter out with the aid of a suction cup and a cut nether region, I half-faint from the site of all the blood. the nurses leave the drs side as he is delivering and put me in a chair. and someone gave me a smelling salt. Not but seconds later the baby is fully delivered and Im still a bit woozy but awake and they ask me to come cut the cord.

Well I was so freaked out still, and my ears were still ringing, so I didnt really understand the instructions. They handed me a sharp implement and I guess the Dr. was holding an area of the cord and I was supposed to cut "in between" the area he was presenting.
In my state I didnt grasp that fact and Cut closer to my wife and well outside the "area" presented. I wondered why the Dr. slapped my hand as I went to cut, but it was too late. But when he slapped my hand Id only cut 1/2 way through.

It created some kind of issue I cant quite recall.

Anyway as a service to all future fathers the NY times needs to do a guide on THAT type of cord cutting.
A guy I used to work with (back when you and I first met) was a bit of an odd duck (among other things, he had a framed Mensa membership certificate on his office wall), and he once shared with me a poem he wrote for his sister after she underwent an episiotomy. Unfortunately for all of us I still remember it:

Episiotomy
It doesn't please a lot of me
It hurts me through and through
From where I pee pee
To where I poo poo

Reaction Score
I need to get rid of Cox Communications ASAP. I barely watch TV outside of sports and only have expanded basic cable and internet. My monthly bill has increased by $40 this year. I am paying $183 a month. Any better, reliable options in Glastonbury?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
IMHO, this article isn't worth half the bandwidth it occupies, if only because "sports addict" is a misnomer.

As a 39 year old father and husband, I can probably count on one hand the games I've watched from from beginning to end that did not involve my favorite team in that sport over the last half decade. I'm not as much a sports addict as I am a UConn/New England pro/Washington Redskins junkie. Most cord cutting alternatives grant reasonable access to national channels and "broad appeal" games, but most non-NFL programming are on regional networks and it's probably not worth the services to carry all of them.
I am right with you, 41 with 2 and 4 y/o's. I struggle to watch UConn games and maybe the Pats or Giants, that's pretty much it.

If I cut the cord, I'm not doing it without ESPN networks, CBSSN and FS1/2. Need DVR, that's the only way I get to watch anything I want aside from live sports. I'd prefer Sprout, Dis Jr and Nick Jr for the kids plus on demand. The wife likes a combo of bravo, lifetime and other assorted channels. PS Vue is getting closer to what I want but still not there yet.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
With all the options, why isn't cable being more competitive?

Reaction Score
With all the options, why isn't cable being more competitive?
It's more complex than people realize. The cable companies have to pay a monthly fee to networks for their programming, hundreds of channels can sure add up. The real profit for cable companies is on the Internet and phone side and on tv once customers are out of their promotional discounts. As things continue to evolve, only the very strong will survive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom