OT: The Day Martina Navratilova Lost | The Boneyard

OT: The Day Martina Navratilova Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always wished the best for her. I saw her play in the Civic Center for the Boston Lobsters way back when. IIRC, it wasn't very long after she defected and she looked so alone.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Fantastic story. Thanks for the link.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well crafted piece, but when Navratilova is quoted saying, "I didn't mind losing," ---- just no way. She always did, big time.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
True, Dobbs... But I'll quote (or misquote) one of my favorite quotes from her: Someone was asking her about the pressure she felt to win... "Winning was easy. I always admired those who lost -- and lost often. Because they had the courage to come back tournament after tournament, in spite of the losses. They wouldn't give up."

My most favorite was when she broke Chrissie's winning streak. "You said it was a record that would never be broken," said the reporter. "I lied," she replied.

Reaction Score
When Navratilova was in her prime, I always rooted against her. I was an Evert fan. It wouldn't ruin my day if Navratilova won, it's just that I rooted for Chris and her records etc.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sometimes worthy opponents: Hana Manlikova, Tracey Austin, Jana Novotna

Reaction Score
Just incredible how much women's tennis has changed in a short span of time. Back in her day, I thought Martina was incredibly powerful.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Just incredible how much women's tennis has changed in a short span of time. Back in her day, I thought Martina was incredibly powerful.

Two things:

1) Martina and Chris Evert both wore the same dress size (size 6). Martina used to become infuriated with how the media described her physique, as she felt she was being described as "manly" and in a way that made her seem like she was some sort of overgrown beast by newspaper reporters and journalists.

2) Serena Williams is twice Martina Williams' size. Not literally, but Serena has one of the most muscular physiques and powerful frames out there, as far as female athletes go. And yet, Serena is regarded as a sex symbol. She has been in the SI Swimsuit Issue, she is a red carpet regular, she wears extremely revealing outfits designed to show off her physique, etc.

It is interesting how things have changed in certain ways from 30 years ago.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

She was (and is).

My idea of a great fundraiser is to have and old school/new school mixed doubles exhibition where they have to use the old wooden Kramers and Wilsons. It would be amazing to see the impact on the "modern" game.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Two things:

1) Martina and Chris Evert both wore the same dress size (size 6). Martina used to become infuriated with how the media described her physique, as she felt she was being described as "manly" and in a way that made her seem like she was some sort of overgrown beast by newspaper reporters and journalists.

2) Serena Williams is twice Martina Williams' size. Not literally, but Serena has one of the most muscular physiques and powerful frames out there, as far as female athletes go. And yet, Serena is regarded as a sex symbol. She has been in the SI Swimsuit Issue, she is a red carpet regular, she wears extremely revealing outfits designed to show off her physique, etc.

It is interesting how things have changed in certain ways from 30 years ago.

Martina also got ticked off when she was reported having a left arm so much bigger than the right.

Reaction Score
Don't post here a lot, but I do read frequently. Love that this was posted. I was a HUGE Navratilova fan and remember this match well. It was the only loss she suffered that year...she went either 83 or 84-1. Unstoppable. Navratilova was always keyed into whatever was going on in the stands and occasionally carried on conversations with folks in the stands. Lieberman and Richards' argument over Richards changing the strategy for this match distracted Martina enough to do her in. Richards quit right after that match.

Navratilova, for me, ranks in the top 3 greatest female athletes of all time. Her dedication to her training and diet forever changed the landscape in women's sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom