OT: The Darien/NC incident still a hot button topic.... | The Boneyard

OT: The Darien/NC incident still a hot button topic....

Reaction Score
Not so much what happened, but the behavior of Darien HS students in response.

Jeff went light on those kids, if a kid from Bridgeport interfered with an officer he might have an entirely different outcome. If I found out my kid sent an email like those described he'd deliver a hand written apology to Jacobs' office.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What happened to all this journalistic freedom Mr Jacobs you have been spewing and backing those who speak their minds?
The man who defends athletes who say bombastic and immature (MHO) things towards politicians and team owners yet when the tables are turned on him, things somehow change
Just what I would expect from the dolt, a double standard.
Now that I've said that - I am in no way defending the violence nor am I supporting kids writing disrespectful things - those two things are completely wrong and punishable
However, Jacobs, grow a pair and suck it up - did you really need to publicize this and seek pity points?
I am so happy he is gone from the Courant

Reaction Score
Letting the QB play was a terrible decision by the Darien Principal. Seriously, what went through her scalitoing head?
Winning is more important than anything else.

Reaction Score
What happened to all this journalistic freedom Mr Jacobs you have been spewing and backing those who speak their minds?

Speak your minds, for sure, but be accountable for your words. He should have outed the kids by name, and named their parents as well.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There's something to be said about the moral effects of living with and around such excessive wealth. I feel bad for kids who grow up like that--entitled and really don't know any better. Obviously not true across the board, but it certainly seems to lead to that often

Reaction Score
Lmao the high school classic “No one likes you”

Edit but Jacobs, as he has repeatedly demonstrated, is indeed a total dope, based on his purposely inflammatory “is this Darien? Or 2018? Or both?” As if there is any possibility that this attitude with youth is isolated to a single town in CT. This is what, the fifth generation that is growing up in a society that glorifies resistance to authority and disrespect for elders? Look around the country, bud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
this is what, the fifth generation that is growing up in a society that glorifies resistance to authority and disrespect for elders? Look around the country, bud.
Generational feuds are a lot older than that.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Lmao the high school classic “No one likes you”

Edit but Jacobs, as he has repeatedly demonstrated, is indeed a total dope, based on his purposely inflammatory “is this Darien? Or 2018? Or both?” As if there is any possibility that this attitude with youth is isolated to a single town in CT. This is what, the fifth generation that is growing up in a society that glorifies resistance to authority and disrespect for elders? Look around the country, bud.

There are definitely degrees of entitlement from town to town. I noticed that when I played high school sports. The worst behaved teams that we played were also the wealthiest. Hall lacrosse had the worst attitudes I'd ever seen! Although we were out in Hebron, which isn't super wealthy, and had some sportsmanship issues, so who knows

Reaction Score
Speak your minds, for sure, but be accountable for your words. He should have outed the kids by name, and named their parents as well.
I agree with this. Say what you want but take responsibility for it. As farms the original incident goes, the quarterback should have turned in his gear. If he was from Bridgeport or New Haven or Hartford he wouldn’t have been allowed to play and would have been blasted everywhere. Because he is from Darien it is all fine and dandy and just a youthful indiscretion.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Norwalk and went to McMahon. It’s always been like this. Once in HS my friend was working at Dunkin‘ Donuts and a kid from Darien threw the change back at him and told him to keep it as “he needs it being from Norwalk”. Needless to say a bunch of McMahon kids went to the Depot hangout (a local Darien hang out spot near the Noroton Height train station) that weekend and pounded the crap out of the Darien kids.

Not that I was there or anything...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think it's Jacobs' natural instinct - but the only way to get attention/paid is to go full troll... so that is what he's been reduced to. He's got a family to feed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll admit the level of snark Jacobs had in that article in regards to all comments about his orginial article was thoroughly enjoyable

Non-linear snark is his calling card.

He seriously spent a whole article saying high school kids used two minutes of their life on their mobile device to call him names.

Next up is Tyler Phommachanh'ing his house and some shaving cream on his car windshield. They may even walk on his lawn or do the classic flaming pile of poo on the door step.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Norwalk and went to McMahon.
Darien HS coach Rob Trifone was at Mcmahon awhile. When they played Darien he had the "blue collar vs privileged" mantra.
Not only did he go to the dark side, he lives in Darien too! ... But he is a helluva coach.

Reaction Score
Darien HS coach Rob Trifone was at Mcmahon awhile. When they played Darien he had the "blue collar vs privileged" mantra.
Not only did he go to the dark side, he lives in Darien too! ... But he is a helluva coach.

I remember when he was at McMahon. He was there when I was a student. I think he had some affair with someone in the school while his wife was also a teacher at the time if memory serves. He’s a dirtbag.

Reaction Score
There are definitely degrees of entitlement from town to town. I noticed that when I played high school sports. The worst behaved teams that we played were also the wealthiest. Hall lacrosse had the worst attitudes I'd ever seen! Although we were out in Hebron, which isn't super wealthy, and had some sportsmanship issues, so who knows

Halls issue was their embedded inferiority complex with Conrad in literally every sport!

Reaction Score
For the most part it’s on the parents. It doesn’t always work, but you need to teach your kids how to behave and how to treat people.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I wonder how many emails Jacobs actually received. Do kids outside of the team itself and it's immediate orbit really care about team sports that much?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom