OT: The Case for Italian Basketball | The Boneyard

OT: The Case for Italian Basketball

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good read:

Opinion | Forget the All-Star Game. Start Watching Italian Basketball.

Some very good differences; here's the part I liked best:

Take the case of the New York Knicks, who currently hold the worst record in the N.B.A. There is nothing much left for the Knicks to play for or their fans to watch this season.

By contrast, Italian basketball teams near the bottom of the league run the risk of relegation to the second division, which is a bad result for everyone. That’s why the fight near the end of the season can be just as fierce at the bottom as it is as the top.
If the Knicks had to worry about being consigned to the minor leagues, the folks at Madison Square Garden might think differently about how to handle the final months of the season. If the Knicks were demoted to play against the Maine Red Claws, New York fans would probably have some choice words and creative hand gestures for their team’s poor management. Italian basketball fans would have some advice on how to do that better, too.

Reaction Score
Italian teams also don't require a draft to get talent, they can sign whoever the hell in the world they want. If the Knicks could do that, they might still be a mess, but a mess that would be a lot better than they are.

End the draft, let the free market reign.

Reaction Score
American professional sports are Franchises with agreed revenue sharing. It’s just another playground for the way too rich people to exploit normal folks without putting in any effort or financial risk. Dolan is literally the prime example of the American dream. Inherit your families fortune and coast through life only lifting a finger to keep the poor poor. He’ll probably run for president.

Reaction Score
Free Market? Perhaps for the owners and the profit they can make. However, salary caps, luxury tax, etc. ensure that the operational costs are kept in check so that profits can be realized. Anything but free market.

Reaction Score
Italian teams also don't require a draft to get talent, they can sign whoever the hell in the world they want. If the Knicks could do that, they might still be a mess, but a mess that would be a lot better than they are.

End the draft, let the free market reign.

Ending the draft would make it nearly impossible for any mid- small market team to have any legitimate chance. The large market teams would sign any and all talent and create their own minor league/ training clubs and just play the numbers game

Reaction Score
Ending the draft would make it nearly impossible for any mid- small market team to have any legitimate chance. The large market teams would sign any and all talent and create their own minor league/ training clubs and just play the numbers game

No max salaries. I like this idea in theory but the PA would despise it.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thought this was going to be about the Italian player at Texas tech we missed out on?
Oh.. and add Italian sports cars and cookies to the previous list

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thought this was going to be about the Italian player at Texas tech we missed out on?
Oh.. and add Italian sports cars and cookies to the previous list
Can we add Italian women to that list? I'm still hoping cloning can be perfected, so that we can make multiple clones of Sophia Loren, and Gina Lolobrigida.

Reaction Score
American professional sports are Franchises with agreed revenue sharing. It’s just another playground for the way too rich people to exploit normal folks without putting in any effort or financial risk. Dolan is literally the prime example of the American dream. Inherit your families fortune and coast through life only lifting a finger to keep the poor poor. He’ll probably run for president.

How do pro sports franchises exploit you? How does Dolan keep people poor?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This actually happens in a lot of the European and Asian leagues. I guess the equivalent here would be one of the NBA teams being sent down to g-league status, but then what becomes of their affiliate? Powerade League?

Reaction Score
How do pro sports franchises exploit you? How does Dolan keep people poor?
By charging too much for cable. One or two more years of poor UConn performance and I can cut the cord ;)

Reaction Score
By charging too much for cable. One or two more years of poor UConn performance and I can cut the cord ;)

That's not exploitation, as you said you can cut the cord whenever you like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom