OT-The amazing human will to survive. | The Boneyard

OT-The amazing human will to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having gotten sucked out in riptide once, and having to keep telling my wife that if we panicked we would die over and over again, I really can't imagine what Konrad had to endure in the water for that length of time. What conditioning and will. Well done sir.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Having gotten sucked out in riptide once, and having to keep telling my wife that if we panicked we would die over and over again, I really can't imagine what Konrad had to endure in the water for that length of time. What conditioning and will. Well done sir.

Having been a Dolphin at one time likely helped.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and say there's more to this story.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and say there's more to this story.

Agreed. I tend to believe people don't fall out of their own boat unless they are drunk. And if they are drunk, I tend to believe they are not going to swim 12 miles to shore.

There has to be more to this story.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And if they are drunk, a tend to believe they are not going to swim 12 miles to shore.

Not 12 miles, but while at Harbor Park I had a buddy suddenly decide to swim to Portland. Drinking may have been involved.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed. I tend to believe people don't fall out of their own boat unless they are drunk. And if they are drunk, I tend to believe they are not going to swim 12 miles to shore.

There has to be more to this story.

If he was on a 36' boat by himself that was on autopilot he could easily get knocked over while trying to rig his fishing gear. Going 9 miles offshore by yourself is idiotic.

I am reasonably certain he wasn't wearing a life vest.

If it turns out to be true, it's a miracle. Not just hypothermia but also dehydration and jellyfish stings. Add in anxiety and you don't even have to get to sharks before you realize how badly the odds are stacked against you.

There's less than 1% of professional athletes who are in training who could stay afloat for 10 hours straight, never mind actually swimming and progressing towards shore.

Reaction Score
I'm telling you I had the scare of my life when my wife drifted a few feet further out than she should have at surfers beach in Isabela, Puerto Rico. She called me cause she couldn't swim back and within seconds we were both being pulled out in a rip tide. In our struggle she ended up no longer being pulled out but I kept going. A wave crashed on top of my head that felt like a ton of bricks and knocked both of my contacts out. I went into auto pilot and kept repeating if you panic you will die. I was rescued by surfer but the adrenaline dump I experienced as soon as my feet touched sand was unreal. Nearly collapsed, stepped on a sea urchin and didn't even feel it. The whole thing lasted like 2-6 minutes tops. I can't imagine Konrad's ordeal.

I seriously considered divorcing my wife over that incident. I think I would have went through with it if she hadn't gotten pregnant on that vaction.

On our honeymoon in Hawaii, we would pull over any pretty beach we saw and were sometimes the only ones in the water. Knowing what I now know about riptides I can't believe we did that sheet. I've become petrified of water despite knowing how to swim.

Reaction Score
I knew Rob when we were kids. We grew up in the same town a few years apart. Played town summer league basketball against each other. Great guy, good family, glad he's ok.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
When you're in the ocean, and if conditions are favorable, you can maybe see a couple hundred yards if you bob up an down. I assume he saw the glow of lights from the mainland as it got dark and headed towards them. Either way, my hat goes off to the young man for his presence of mind, his will to survive, and his mental and physical stamina Regardless whether he'd been drinking or not, figuring out the right direction to swim and then going NINE MILES in nine hours in the middle of the freaking, shark invested ocean is an epic accomplishment. Maybe HCBD will see the story for what it exemplifies, be inspired, and invite him to speak to the team. They could all use a real life story like this from a fellow baller facing long odds and the will to survive.

Reaction Score
He got lucky there were favorable ocean currents at the time. He could be a great swimmer and if they were going the wrong way it would have been futile. Got caught in the edge of a riptide at the Cape with my 9 y o daughter. Had my feet set and was holding her arm while leaning into the flow and had to take tiny steps to not get picked up by the current and carried out. The lifeguards had to go out to rescue 2 kids using a rope with a spool on shore to real them in. Changed my outlook on the ocean and my abilities that's for sure. Mind you that was before the Great Whites started patrolling the edge of the sandbar in numbers which adds to the fun now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reading the riptide comments.....

Most riptides are only 50-100 deep and 20-30 yards wide. Yet they can make a strong, confident swimmer timid and unsure. And in the open water that can spell death in seconds.

I don't think my kids could swim two laps in a pool, but they know what to do in rip currents, heavy seas and high tides. I'll take that trade-off.

Reaction Score
FWIW: There are a couple of differences in what happens close to shore swimming. Three basics - undertow, rip current and rip tide. What most people commonly refer to as 'riptide' is actually rip current. Undertow is just what happens close to shore. If you get caught in undertow when you're trying to get on ground, you really just need to stay calm until the next 2 or 3 waves roll you onto solid footing again. Most people that have been in rough surf have experienced this. You fell yourself get knocked off your feet and moved around a while, but the waves just roll you back up on shore and you feel relieved.

The changing underwater topography of sand near shore, creates rip current. you'll get areas where changing and slowly moving underwater 'inlet' forms along beaches, or may exist due to some kind of underwater rocky formation, and the waves and tide moving, will create a fast moving jet of water that sucks a lot of sand with it. If you've ever stood at the edge of the water and let the waves bury your feet, think of that. Just large scale. The water moving out between your legs after a wave crashes and the sand moving around as you sink in. THis is what most people refer to as "riptide", but it's really rip current. If you get caught in one, it will suck you out to water that's overhead but not usually deeper than 10-20 feet at very most and depending on the underwater topography it could be very close to the shore or can carry you out 100 yards or possible a little more. Remain calm, and you can try to swim parallel to shore, but you may find yourself pretty far away from where you want to be, once the current lets up. Best path is diagonal back into shore if you are a strong swimmer, and if not, just tread water and wait, and hopefully you weren't dumb enough to swim alone.

Actual rip tides are things that if you are swimming in, you are probably swimming in the middle of some sort of boating channel, and that's just dumb if it's recreation. Rip tides happen at either natural or man-made inlets that extend above the surface of the water, and involve huge volumes water, and if you're caught in one, you are going for a ride in the water that will probably take you a few hundred yards up to a thousand yards out, if not farther, so keep your head up and tread. IF you have a vest on, you're basically riding a grade 1 or 2 rapid without the canoe or kayak to ride in, so enjoy the ride. If you have fins on, you have a chance of swimming out of it before it decides to let you out of it. If you don't have either, tread water, keep your head up and wait.

As for the Syracuse fullback, like I said before, lucky it was South Florida waters.

Reaction Score
It was probably a rip current. Like I said at some point my wife stop being pulled and I kept going. I was treading water and telling myself to stay calm. There was beach full of people and no one could notice us of see us yelling for help. Trying to keep the wife calm was the hardest part. She started crying. I kept thinking a wave was going to carry me in, instead one crested about three feet over me, slammed into me and knocked out my contact lenses out.

I formulated a plan, since there were to large rock structures with an opening in the middle (is that an inlet?) That I was going to swim OUT toward the closest one because if I got sucked out beyond that I was done. Swimming toward shore was useless as ecerytim I looked up I was further out.

Experiences like that make a believer out of you because two surfers appeared out of nowhere and he was taken aback to hear me screaming to him for help. The other one helped my wife who was much closer to shore than me.

The Konrad thing to me is just incredible. There must me some kind of higher calling for him for sure.

Reaction Score
It's a remarkable story, and a testament to the power of human mental strength and willpower. Take 100 random people, and all 100 probably don't make it to shore. Physical strength had nothing to do with making it to shore for him.

All I can say again, is lucky it was south florida waters. Had he been fishing anywhere not too much farther north, he's dead no matter how mentally tough he is. there are things you can overcome, and there are things that will kill you no matter what you do if you're not prepared. Cold ocean water kills, quick.

Reaction Score
For hoohahs, I just did a little look.

Here's a Coast Guard pdf that has a nice lethal hypothermia threshold table. Page 36.

http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/coldwater1.pdf

Here's a similar Navy chart. page 40

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Pub/5010-3.pdf

The most remarkable thing about this, is that the presence of a flotation device in this scenario, would probably have led to his death. The fact that he didn't have one, kept him moving and got him to shore at the very upper limit of time before hypothermia would win. With a flotation device, he's more likely to put much less effort into swimming. But then again, with a flotation device, maybe passing boats for the coast guard chopper actually see him too.

Life vests do save lives though.

Reaction Score
I'm blown away with this story. Hope it isn't a lie, cause it really is one of the most incredible things I have ever heard. BTW, my wife says our episode was closer to 10-15 minutes. This mofugger saw a shark???? Holy fugg.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Not 12 miles, but while at Harbor Park I had a buddy suddenly decide to swim to Portland. Drinking may have been involved.

Swimming from Middletown to Portland imho is just as daunting - if not more so - than what that dude went through. As beautiful it is to look at from the shore, there are unbelievable currents in that section of the Connecticut River.

Sadly, I had an uncle (who I never met, this happened years before I was born) who was playing outside his house on the shore of the river in Cromwell when he fell in, was swept downstream by the current and never made it out. My family told me that when the authorities found him hours later, he was about a mile upstream from where he fell in! Apparently the river flows backward as well as forward around there, and at an equally swift rate of speed. Unreal.

So I am assuming that you talked your buddy out of that stunt, otherwise he would've made the evening news one way or the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom