OT: That'll teach you Ohio State | The Boneyard

OT: That'll teach you Ohio State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a complete dumpster fire this game was for Urban....almost looked like Shady called Diaco for game planning advice.

Reaction Score
Top to bottom, the ACC Conference was the best college football conference in America this season, imo.

Reaction Score
Ohio State had no business being in the Fiesta Bowl, it should have been Penn State

We'll see today but I argued that before. OSU didn't even win their conference title. Penn St is not only B1G Champion.....they beat OSU. It's clear the committee got caught up in imagery and Urban Meyer. As an OC Ed Warinner may not be Tom Herman. The question is whether he's Joe Moorhead.
I'm rooting for the Lions.

Reaction Score
IMO, Less ESPN interference was the order of the day looking more to ratings. Last year, the ratings on National semi finals were horrible.
They did not want to leave out the west coast in Washington and wanted and needed Urban Meyer, personal opinion.
Time to go to an eight team playoff and end this nonsense.....p5 conference winners, G5 representative and 2 at large berths.... get rid of 4 nonsense bowls.... IMHO.....
Follow the money

Reaction Score
We'll see today but I argued that before. OSU didn't even win their conference title. Penn St is not only B1G Champion.....they beat OSU. It's clear the committee got caught up in imagery and Urban Meyer. As an OC Ed Warinner may not be Tom Herman. The question is whether he's Joe Moorhead.
I'm rooting for the Lions.

The Rose Bowl is on Monday. NFL today.

Reaction Score
Next year, the OSU, how about you win your conference before showing up in the National Championship semi finals. Or at least win your division. Please dont ever, crash the party when you didn't earn it, no matter how much lobbying Kirk Herbsteit does on Game Day.

I enjoy seeing Ohio State getting crushed as much as the next guy, but it almost sounds like you are blaming them for being in the game. Penn State probably would have been annihilated as well, hell most teams would have been by Clemson yesterday. I do tend to believe that if you don't win your league, then you shouldn't be in a four team playoff, but the cure for that is to go to 8. P5 champs get in and then 3 at large bids for the best of the rest. Sure number 9 will complain, but that's just how it goes.

Reaction Score
I enjoy seeing Ohio State getting crushed as much as the next guy, but it almost sounds like you are blaming them for being in the game. Penn State probably would have been annihilated as well, hell most teams would have been by Clemson yesterday. I do tend to believe that if you don't win your league, then you shouldn't be in a four team playoff, but the cure for that is to go to 8. P5 champs get in and then 3 at large bids for the best of the rest. Sure number 9 will complain, but that's just how it goes.
8 teams but 5 p5, 1 g5, and 2 at large. All inclusive.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I just hope Bama and Clemson can absorb the recruiting hit that comes when recruits find out both schools are defense-first and their offense barely gets to 30 points.

Reaction Score
Ed Warinner is no Tom Herman

Agreed, and it doesn't help that JT Barett can't throw for * and the OSU Receivers flat out stink. The real presence of a great running back is missing as well. Weber is ok, but Zeke Elliot he is not.

Reaction Score
This game just confirms what people already knew — that the committee invites teams based on brand longevity, not actual merit or résumé that season. The playoff is just an invitational for the football blue bloods.

The CFP is a product that networks are trying to sell. So in that regard top brands will always get the most consideration because they bring in potentially the most revenue. This will always be the case for the most part until they go to an 8 team playoff that includes conference champs. Personally as a PSU Alum, I didn't have a huge issue with OSU being selected for the playoff even though we beat them. On paper they had the best resume outside of Bama. That said, I did know that they would get shelled against either Clemson or The Tide. Urban's offense only works against athletically over matched teams. Luckily for him this is like 75-80% of the time. When the defense is capable of matching up however, they're screwed. Bottle up the QB run game and force him to pass. Pressure out of him. Game over.

Reaction Score
8 teams but 5 p5, 1 g5, and 2 at large. All inclusive.

You and Colt are both right in your thinking. The G5 will never be individually given a seat at the head table, but at the very least collectively they should have access. This year would have made for a heck of a tournament. Based off final rankings:

1)Bama*
8)WMU

4)Washington*
5)PSU*

3)Clemson*
6)Michigan

2)OSU
7)OU *

(* denotes P5 Champ)

Edit-
Where the optics for something like this would look bad would be if a number of P5 Conference Championship Games had upsets and a bunch of 3-4 loss teams filled the bracket and a handful of 1-2 loss teams stayed home. That said if this was the format everyone agreed to, I would be OK with it. Better than an entirely subjective selection for all included teams like it is now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO, Less ESPN interference was the order of the day looking more to ratings. Last year, the ratings on National semi finals were horrible.
They did not want to leave out the west coast in Washington and wanted and needed Urban Meyer, personal opinion.
Time to go to an eight team playoff and end this nonsense.....p5 conference winners, G5 representative and 2 at large berths.... get rid of 4 nonsense bowls.... IMHO.....
Follow the money
Looking for ratings! Then don't schedule these games on New Years Eve.

Reaction Score
Not saying I 100% agree with the guy but he does do a good job of bringing up contrarian points

Reaction Score
What is needed is for D1 football to organize itself into eight 10 team conferences (that would give UConn a seat at table). Each conference member play all 9 of other members each season. Then the eight conference winners go to a playoff. This way Ohio State is out period.

Reaction Score
What is needed is for D1 football to organize itself into eight 10 team conferences (that would give UConn a seat at table). Each conference member play all 9 of other members each season. Then the eight conference winners go to a playoff. This way Ohio State is out period.

Eventually there will be four conferences. Within those four conferences there will be two divisions of eight. The winner of each division will play for their conference title and then the conference champions will play in a four game playoff. I can see this happening in about 10-15 years.

Reaction Score
Eventually there will be four conferences. Within those four conferences there will be two divisions of eight. The winner of each division will play for their conference title and then the conference champions will play in a four game playoff. I can see this happening in about 10-15 years.
Problem with that plan . . . only 64 teams total. P5 currently has 65 counting ND. So UConn would still be out with that format.

Thats why I like my plan better (8 conferences with 10 teams each and round robin schedules that you don't have with divisions). And, with 80 teams, UConn should be included.

Reaction Score
Problem with that plan . . . only 64 teams total. P5 currently has 65 counting ND. So UConn would still be out with that format.

Thats why I like my plan better (8 conferences with 10 teams each and round robin schedules that you don't have with divisions). And, with 80 teams, UConn should be included.

Your plan is never going to happen though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34