OT (Thankfully) - What is the worst college football team of the last decade? | The Boneyard

OT (Thankfully) - What is the worst college football team of the last decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eh, it was their first year in FBS.

But, our defense was good in 2012, but I've never seen a defense dominate a game like we did in that opener against UMass that year.

Reaction Score
Phew :confused:

NESN10:38am via WordPress.com
UMass Dubbed Worst College Football Team Of Last Decade By USA Today wp.me/p2AlCJ-1ajB

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/what-is-the-worst-college-football-team-of-the-last-decade/

UMass Dubbed Worst College Football Team Of Last Decade By USA Today wp.me/p2AlCJ-1ajB

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/what-is-the-worst-college-football-team-of-the-last-decade/

A true measure of the state of today's media. Why on earth would any writer take the time for this? Someones' idea of fun, I guess.

Reaction Score
Umass made a major mistake attempting to move up to FBS level. They have no money, few care about college football in the state, and nobody in the Mass. State legislature is going to give them the resources to effectively future compete at the FBS level in my view. The school is located out in the rural boondocks of Western Mass. The school has little to no history in college football, and is simply not a magnet for out of state football recruits with other better options to attend school and play football at an FBS level. Thats how I see Umass out there in Amherst, anyway.

Reaction Score
Umass made a major mistake attempting to. move up to FBS level. They have no money, few care about college football in the state, and nobody in the Mass. State legislature is going to give them the resources to effectively future compete at the FBS level in my view. The school is located out in the rural boondocks of Western Mass. The school has little to no history in college football, and is simply not a magnet for out of state football recruits with other better options to attend school and play football at an FBS level. Thats how I see Umass out there in Amherst, anyway.

Yawkey....although I can appreciate your view being from Boston, you have not really given an accurate view of UMass. My job there interfaces with the athletic dept, the student body, and to some degree the alumni assn. I can tell you for a fact that since President Caret and Chancellor Subbaswammy have been on board, the university has made a commitment to athletics that UMass has never seen before.
Now, are they primed now to be a force in FBS football? Absolutely not. Are they 100 % all-in to get there? Yes. Unfortunately for UMass, their first coaching hire in FBS was an unmitigated disaster. Molnar hurt the program much more than he helped it. He alienated fans and alumni. The recent hire of Whipple was made to mend those fences. I can tell you for fact that season ticket sales are already going through the roof. Part of that is the 3 games in Amherst next year, but part of it is Whipple as well.
Financial donations are also through the roof. Molnar's $836,000 buy out was funded by a direct donation and rumor has it that the same person is subsidizing Whipple's salary to make it respectable.
I really don't want to tie up a ton of bandwith on a UConn site defending UMass, but I just wanted to respond to your post. I didn't take it as a slam, but I just wanted to address the misconceptions

Reaction Score
I'd like to see UMass succeed. Would make for a great renewed rivalry with UConn. Will it happen? If people want it bad enough and work hard enough it will. But like someone else said, why in the world would someone write about the worst football team of the last decade and pin that on UMass who's only had 2 seasons into D-1? If the guy really wanted to drag some program through the mud like that do some work and figure out who has under achieved (or really stunk it up) the most for the entire 10 years.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yawkey....although I can appreciate your view being from Boston, you have not really given an accurate view of UMass. My job there interfaces with the athletic dept, the student body, and to some degree the alumni assn. I can tell you for a fact that since President Caret and Chancellor Subbaswammy have been on board, the university has made a commitment to athletics that UMass has never seen before.
Now, are they primed now to be a force in FBS football? Absolutely not. Are they 100 % all-in to get there? Yes. Unfortunately for UMass, their first coaching hire in FBS was an unmitigated disaster. Molnar hurt the program much more than he helped it. He alienated fans and alumni. The recent hire of Whipple was made to mend those fences. I can tell you for fact that season ticket sales are already going through the roof. Part of that is the 3 games in Amherst next year, but part of it is Whipple as well.
Financial donations are also through the roof. Molnar's $836,000 buy out was funded by a direct donation and rumor has it that the same person is subsidizing Whipple's salary to make it respectable.
I really don't want to tie up a ton of bandwith on a UConn site defending UMass, but I just wanted to respond to your post. I didn't take it as a slam, but I just wanted to address the misconceptions
I'd like to see UMass succeed, but there is the other huge problem you didn't address: interest. We mock BC fans about how they're fifth fiddle behind Pats, Socks, Bruins, and Celtics. Well, you guys, as unfortunate as it is, are even lower than BC. I think this is a major factor for not only you guys, but for all of New England in terms of interest in college football. As a New England resident, you have so many professional franchises to root for. Not only those four in Boston, but you also have the Yanks, Giants, Rangers, Knicks, and even the Jets and Mets. For whom does the population of Nebraska have to root, other than U Nebraska? Nowhere else in the country are so many great, historic franchises so densely packed. New England is basically the size of Alabama itself if you cut off the less populated areas of Maine.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see UMass succeed, but there is the other huge problem you didn't address: interest. We mock BC fans about how they're fifth fiddle behind Pats, Socks, Bruins, and Celtics. Well, you guys, as unfortunate as it is, are even lower than BC. I think this is a major factor for not only you guys, but for all of New England in terms of interest in college football. As a New England resident, you have so many professional franchises to root for. Not only those four in Boston, but you also have the Yanks, Giants, Rangers, Knicks, and even the Jets and Mets. For whom does the population of Nebraska have to root, other than U Nebraska? Nowhere else in the country are so many great, historic franchises so densely packed. New England is basically the size of Alabama itself if you cut off the less populated areas of Maine.

Great point and I agree wholeheartedly...I mentioned in another post that I thought UMass needed to establish their identity and I believe that identity is a solid MAC level program for starters. I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility that UMass can build up McGuirk a little and draw 20,000-23,000 for home games and be competitive in that context. I never meant to say that UMass should have the expectations UConn has at this point. I also think that if UMass sets their sights too high they will be setting themselves up for failure.

Reaction Score

Fair enough. I'll defer to your assessment here as you clearly seem much closer to the happenings there at Umass than I. Whipple has been under the radar screen as a Head Coach candidate for a bit. He was a rather hot commodity in the coaching circles a few years back and I do know that in some quarters of the BC fan base then some wanted Whipple after Jags was let go. So given the Umass situation of late, on the whole, this hire seems like a real good hire for Umass. I hope he can turn it around there, just as I hope that BC and Uconn can do so as well with their recent Coaching changes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

What I would like to see is UMass becoming the #2 College FB team (after UConn) and have them join (with us) the B1G. Yes, I know it wouldn't happen, but it would be great for HS FB in New England. We need to play UMass (they are our second oldest rival next to URI, which will never go D1A) for the good of HS FB in New England.

Reaction Score
We need to play UMass (they are our second oldest rival next to URI, which will never go D1A) for the good of HS FB in New England.

I agree. While Umass is a bad FBS program right now, and not up to the level of Uconn, there is a good and solid football history and tradition between these 2 state public Universities in New England. A game with Umass in a few years should generate far more local interest within Southern New England casual football fans than a Umass- Hofstra football game or a Uconn- Tulane football game. It be good for High School football too in New England, just as you said. I'm from the Boston region, and I'd go see this game, whether it was in Amherst, Hartford, or Foxboro.

Reaction Score
I agree. While Umass is a bad FBS program right now, and not up to the level of Uconn, there is a good and solid football history and tradition between these 2 state public Universities in New England. A game with Umass in a few years should generate far more local interest within Southern New England casual football fans than a Umass- Hofstra football game or a Uconn- Tulane football game. It be good for High School football too in New England, just as you said. I'm from the Boston region, and I'd go see this game, whether it was in Amherst, Hartford, or Foxboro.

I think UMass will be a solid FB school, and we should have a game yearly with them (Thanksgiving weekend). It will never rival THE GAME (Yale Harvard), but we could call it the Tobacco Valley Game..

Reaction Score
UMass had Victor Cruz, an NFL all pro, on its roster and still stunk. Amazing.

Reaction Score
I think UMass will be a solid FB school, and we should have a game yearly with them (Thanksgiving weekend). It will never rival THE GAME (Yale Harvard), but we could call it the Tobacco Valley Game..

Kind of like ND playing Army every year.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
i would just like to say i made a thread about playing umass and was verbally abused by everyone and now everyone wants to play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom