OT: Test #535B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #535B

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Whose commercial? Where the rubber meets the road.

15..In '92, the first Canadian team wins a World Series. The participants?

16.."Take me along, if you love-a me." Whose ad and how did it backfire?

17..Of the 250 top grossing films of 2016, what % are directed by women?

18..This 37 year old multi Slam winner just announced her retirement at the end of the WTA year end championships?

19..Link the doo wop group The Crests to Molly Ringwald.

20..Benjamin O. Davis was a first. For what?

21.."I will be so happy, I will kiss me mother-in-law. ______! Title and artist?

22..How does the sinking of the Titanic affect Downton Abbey?

23..The Prez who dedicated the Statue of Liberty?

24..Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, has a violent end. Explain.

25..Which Nixon crony does 18 months in Safford Arizona prison?

Time for your home runs.

Reaction Score
19. Sixteen Candles, the movie (with Molly Ringwald) and the song (by The Crests with the fabulous Johnny Maestro)

21. Harry Belafonte....

All day, all night, Mary Ann
Down by the seaside, sifting sand

23. Grover Cleveland (former Governor of NY) in 1886. Rededicated by Ronald Reagan (former Governator from Calyfornia---oh, sorry, Ahnold was the Governator) in 1986 ( as I watched from Battery Park)

Wire Chief, link questions 19 and 23

Reaction Score
14. the name that's knowns is Firestone
15. Toronto Blue Jays beat the Atlanta Braves
16. United Airlines, not aware of a backlash
17. 8%
19. the Crests sang sixteen Candles, and Ms Ringwold was the star of the movie similarly named
20. First black US Army general.
22. The heir to Downton Abbey was killed on the Titanic which then made distant cousin and lawyer Matthew Crawley next in line.
23. Grover Cleveland

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
14.. Firestone

15.. Toronto Blue Jays versus Minnesota Twins

20.. Benjamin O. Davis Sr. rose through the U.S. Army ranks to become the first black general. Probably he was also the only U.S. military general to have a son become a general. Benjamin O. Davis Jr., was the first black general in the U.S. Air Force.

23.. President Grover Cleveland

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
14..Firestone

15..Blue Jays, Braves

17..2%?

19..Sang Sixteen Candles; starred in Sixteen Candles

23..Cleveland

Reaction Score
15) Toronto Blue Jays, Minnesota Twins
24) She is murdered along with Arch Duke Francis Ferdinand, and their deaths start World War 1.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
19. Sixteen Candles, the movie (with Molly Ringwald) and the song (by The Crests with the fabulous Johnny Maestro)

21. Harry Belafonte....

All day, all night, Mary Ann
Down by the seaside, sifting sand

23. Grover Cleveland (former Governor of NY) in 1886. Rededicated by Ronald Reagan (former Governator from Calyfornia---oh, sorry, Ahnold was the Governator) in 1986 ( as I watched from Battery Park)

Wire Chief, link questions 19 and 23

Of course, chj.
The Lady's torch, like 16 candles, illuminates.
Grover preferred Crest Toothpaste.
And speaking of crests, the Statue sits on one.
Johnny later fronted the Brooklyn Bridge, which shares a connecting waterway with Ms. Liberty.
On a class trip to Liberty Island, Molly and 4 others acted up, so they were given Saturday detention as the Breakfast Club.

I'll stop now, as you would wish me to do.

Reaction Score
Of course, chj.
The Lady's torch, like 16 candles, illuminates.
Grover preferred Crest Toothpaste.
And speaking of crests, the Statue sits on one.
Johnny later fronted the Brooklyn Bridge, which shares a connecting waterway with Ms. Liberty.
On a class trip to Liberty Island, Molly and 4 others acted up, so they were given Saturday detention as the Breakfast Club.

I'll stop now, as you would wish me to do.

Good try, Wire Chief. You threw the kitchen sink in there and were on the right track with one of your arrows. Johnny indeed fronted the Brooklyn Bridge, which was dedicated three years earlier in 1883 by Cleveland's predecessor, Chester A. Arthur.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Good try, Wire Chief. You threw the kitchen sink in there and were on the right track with one of your arrows. Johnny indeed fronted the Brooklyn Bridge, which was dedicated three years earlier in 1883 by Cleveland's predecessor, Chester A. Arthur.

Hey, that's no less of a reach than are mine.

Reaction Score
15. Toronto Blue Jays over Atlanta Braves in 1992 WS. Dave Winfield off Charlie Liebrandt for game winning hit in Game 6.

The following season the Blue Jays had the Joe Carter walk off to beat the Phillies.

Downton Abbey: the heir to the Abbey and I believe fiancé to Lady Mary was killed in the sinking of the Titanic.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
16..Back in the day where IDing passengers was casual, United offered a bargain to the business traveler.
He could bring his wife along, so many businessmen brought their "wives". Then United sent mailings home about that experience. Can you guess how the fecal matter hit the whirling blades?

21...Spelled Marianne. You did not fill in the blank.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..VAUC leads a trio with Firestone.

15..Well, it is a comfort that the Braves were picked here 3-2 over the Twins pickers.

17..VAUC is as close as one can get; 7%.

18..Storm is on target with Hingis.

20..Yup, 1st black general.

21..If you were familiar with the original hit by Terry Gylkison, you heard him say PHOOEY! Other versions did not include that.

22..Yes, they lost an heir.

23..The Big Quartet cite Grover.

24..Husky notes that Sophie made a real bad choice of seating companion.

25..Ah, you missed it; it was Ehrlichman.

So, put this into the archives now.

Reaction Score
21. Well, I'm not too proud to pick a nit every once in a while. Especially when I'm erroneously chided for a misspelling by a misspeller. The original song by Raphael de Leon written in the mid 40's was spelled "Mary Ann." It wasn't until the 50's when the Easy Riders with Terry Gilkyson (not Gylkison) recorded it under the spelling "Marianne."

Reaction Score
the Twins won in 91 over Braves with Jack Morris famously outdueling John Smoltz in Game 7 that went to extra innings. the home team won in each of the seven games. Stupid Metrodome. Stupid Kent Hrbek. Stupid Lonnie Smith.

The last out in the 92 World Series was an Otis Nixon attempt to bunt his way on. Stupid Otis Nixon.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
21. Well, I'm not too proud to pick a nit every once in a while. Especially when I'm erroneously chided for a misspelling by a misspeller. The original song by Raphael de Leon written in the mid 40's was spelled "Mary Ann." It wasn't until the 50's when the Easy Riders with Terry Gilkyson (not Gylkison) recorded it under the spelling "Marianne."

A clear case of one being able to have it both ways.

Reaction Score
20.. Benjamin O. Davis Sr. rose through the U.S. Army ranks to become the first black general. Probably he was also the only U.S. military general to have a son become a general. Benjamin O. Davis Jr., was the first black general in the U.S. Air Force.

One would imagine that it is rare for the son of a general to become a general. I only know of one such case, Hoyt Vandenberg, for whom a dormitory is named at the USAF Academy, and Hoyt Vandenberg, Jr. who was the Commandant of Cadets at the USAF Academy when I first arrived there in 1975.
I am not sure, but McArthur's father may also have been an Army general.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
One would imagine that it is rare for the son of a general to become a general. I only know of one such case, Hoyt Vandenberg, for whom a dormitory is named at the USAF Academy, and Hoyt Vandenberg, Jr. who was the Commandant of Cadets at the USAF Academy when I first arrived there in 1975.
I am not sure, but McArthur's father may also have been an Army general.

I searched for a list of USA Generals. While checking for common last names I realized I did not see either Ben O Davis listed. In fact I could find them on only one list. Weird! BTW, the O is for Oliver. Sr, had a daughter. Yep! Olive! In any case I terminated my search.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom