OT: Test #534B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #534B

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Which names appear in "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover"?

15..Explain key card Blackwood.

16..What Div 1 football team just tied the record for consecutive 30+ points per game?

17..The fellows who lost their Olympic medals over a black power salute?

18..ID Emperor Puyi.

19..A prisoner escapes from Scarpia's dungeons in _____.

20..ID Heidi Fleiss.

21..What's the theme of Paul Ehrlich's non-fiction best seller?

22..What were 2500 U of Florida students up in arms about?

23..One hit wonders artists? Ride, Captain, Ride; In the Summertime; Hey There, Lonely Girl.

24..Hits 3 homers for the Dodgers?

25..Her fellow-slayer(?) called Sarah Michelle "B".

As always, waiting patiently.

Reaction Score
14. Jack, Roy, Gus, Stan, Lee
17. Tommy Smith and John Carlos
20. She was the "Hollywood Madam" -- pimp that catered to the Hollywood crowd
21. World's overpopulation
23. ???, Mungo Jerry, Donny Osmond? (He wouldn't be a one-hit wonder, though)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
14. Stan, Lee, Roy, Gus, Jack. (in a particular order, but not this one)
16. Alabama??
17. Tommy Smith, ?? Carlos?
20. Madame to Hollywood.
22. white supremacist speaker at their college
23. Blues Image, Mongo Jerry, for the 1st two.
24. When? In a series, game, year??

Reaction Score
16. USF - actually I think they broke the record.

18. The last emperor of China. Made a puppet by the Japanese during WWII.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
19. Puccini's opera Tosca.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
14.. Jack, Stan, Roy, Gus, Lee (Thank you Dear!)

17.. Tommie Smith and John Carlos

20.. Heidi Fleiss, the Hollywood Madam, operated a prostitution ring. Her clients were wealthy and famous.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
14..Jack, Roy, Stan, Gus, Lee

15..One of my favorite bidding gadgets. There are five aces -- the four suits plus the king of trump, and the queen of trump is a key card. There are a few ways to respond, but my favorite is: Clubs, 0 or 3; Diamonds, 1 or 4; hearts, two without the queen; spades, two with the queen; some play that notrump shows A-K-Q of trump, but I'm not crazy about that.

18..The Last Emperor of China?

19..Count of Monte Cristo?

20..The Hollywood Madame who kept a list of clients?

22..Spencer's talk on campus

23..Blues Traveller (it was actually a fantastic album); Mungo Jerry; East Side Story

25. Eliza Dushku?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14. Stan, Lee, Roy, Gus, Jack. (in a particular order, but not this one)
16. Alabama??
17. Tommy Smith, ?? Carlos?
20. Madame to Hollywood.
22. white supremacist speaker at their college
23. Blues Image, Mongo Jerry, for the 1st two.
24. When? In a series, game, year??

24,..If you knew, then you'd know.

Reaction Score
15. First of all, the official name of the convention is Roman Keycard Blackwood. After the bidding has established the likely trump suit, a player interested in slam will bid 4NT, asking for the number of "keycards" held by his partner. There are basically 2 varieties, 3014 (somewhat described by Bigboote) and 1430 (used by most of the players I know.) There are 5 "keycards," the 4 aces and the king of trump. Bigboote, if you're playing with 5 aces, you need to change decks. 5 clubs shows 1 or 4 keycards (or 3 or 0 in the 3014 variety). 5 diamonds shows 3 or 0 keycards (or 1 or 4 in the 3014 variety). The Queen of trump is NOT a keycard, but the possession or non-possession of the queen of trump can be shown when showing 2 keycards. 5 hearts shows 2 keycards without the queen of trump, while 5 spades shows 2 keycards with the queen of trump. Additional schemes can be used to determine either the number of kings held or the holding of a specific king.

19. Actually, no one escaped from Scarpia's dungeons in Puccini's Tosca. In Act II, Scarpia is holding Tosca's boyfriend, Cavaradossi, in a cell in the Farnese Palace in Rome. Tosca agrees to have sex with Scarpia if he releases Cavaradossi. In order to get Tosca to sleep with him, he signs an order to carry out a mock firing squad, after which Tosca stabs and kills Scarpia. In Act III, on the roof of Castel Sant'Angelo (yes, the very same Castel Sant'Angelo that figured so prominently at the end of Angels & Demons,) Cavaradossi goes before the firing squad. Tosca thinks it is just a sham, and that Cavaradossi will escape, but Scarpia had given his henchman a coded message that it was, in fact, to be a real execution. When Tosca realizes that Cavaradossi is dead, and as the soldiers are coming to arrest her for Scarpia's murder, she jumps from the parapets to her death.

24.Enrique Hernandez against the Nats just last week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
14. Roy, Jack, Stan, Gus, Lee
17. John Carlos and Tommie Smith
22. A speech on campus by Richard Spencer
23. In the Summertime - Mongo Jerry; Hey There Lonely Girl - Eddie Holman

Reaction Score
15. I think Blackwood is calling for Aces in Bridge. A 4NT bid in certain circumstances is forcing, the partner gives the number of aces in his hand with clubs being 0 or 4, diamonds 1, hearts 2, spades 3. 5 NT bid following can ask for kings. The idea is to gauge the chances of a slam.
20. New York madam whose rolodex included a goodly number of important people.
21. Ehrlich -- this is one of the mew malthusians I think -- concerned with population outstripping resources. (The Population Bomb?)
22. having a Nazi speak on campus.
25. Buffy the Vampire slayer as played by Sarah Michell Gellar on Weedon's television show as opposed to the movie. The other slayer was played by Eliza Dushku.

Reaction Score
19. OK, I just realized that there was someone who escaped from Scarpia's dungeons. Act I opens with Cavaradossi's friend, Angelotti, a revolutionary, having escaped from the dungeons. He comes to the church where Cavaradossi is painting. Cavaradossi assists him in escaping, which is why Scarpia arrests Cavaradossi and tortures him in Act II to find out where Angelloti is hiding. Angelloti's escape totally escaped me (pun intended), in part because he is a minor character, only appearing very briefly in Act I, and in part because he's a McGuffin, a device that drives the plot, but nobody really cares about him (to paraphrase Alfred Hitchcock).

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Mrs. SVC heads a fivesome of name droppers.

15..Well, Game you leave out "key card", but Big & chj save you. But the 3 of you would be labled
wastrels and sinners by some religious groups.

16..Ed4 is through the crossbars with U of South Florida.

17..Names can escape smarty pants, and he's only about 53. Just wait, fella.
No such affliction visits VAUC, husky, K9 nor SVC.

18..Ed4 & Big once provided his concubines.

19..Phew, glad chj cleared that up, or he'd be at war with rbny.

20..Heidi would actually hot foot it to NY to service Game, he says. The rest of you had to come to her.

21..Game, husky and K9 lost in the crowd.

22..The Meyers quartet cite the fellow who evokes strong feelings.

23..A head spinning array of answers. No one has all 3. Respectively, Blues Traveler, Mungo Jerry, Eddie Holman.

24..Hey chj & dish, enlighten Meyers, will you?

25..Storm, Big and Game get credit for Eliza.

Part B is perfect.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
23..A head spinning array of answers. No one has all 3. Respectively, Blues Traveler, Mungo Jerry, Eddie Holman.
Uh, no. Blues Image.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Uh, no. Blues Image.

DOH! I started it, even more embarrassing because I've listened to the album a few times in the last few months. Plus I have no idea where I got East Side Story from for Lonely Girl. I really thought that was it, but I searched and there's not even a band called that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom