OT Terrence Jones | The Boneyard

OT Terrence Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
i don't think we should bring squid into this, it's not his fault. but on topic, you have to be a real a-s-s to do that to a homeless man, especially while he was sleeping. hope Jones gets what he deserves.

Reaction Score
Another quality product of Calipari. Guarantee that Jones' actions wont cause any negative press to the esteemed University of Kentucky. Whereas, if this was a UConn alum we would probably receive the death penalty and ESPN talking heads would be ranting about the thug players we bring in.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

Calipari gets the blame for this? So when kids from Kentucky go in the lottery it's got nothing to do with him, but when they act like drunk dingleberries they're "products of Calipari"?

Reaction Score
Calipari gets the blame for this? So when kids from Kentucky go in the lottery it's got nothing to do with him, but when they act like drunk dingleberries they're "products of Calipari"?

Why not? Terrence Jones stayed at Kentucky twice as long as any other top recruit that went there.

Reaction Score

No I wasnt attributing TJ's poor character as the Squid's fault, guess my wording was poor. Was just trying to say if this was one of Calhoun's players he would be lambasted by the media for recruiting thugs, but at programs like UK, UNC, etc their reputation is left untarnished.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You really go out of your way to protect the squid! Are you his wife octopussy?

Reaction Score
You have to be a really vile person to do that to a homeless person. This guy is a disgrace.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Squid is no more responsible for jones than JC is for toraino and mike Hayes. Let it go.

Reaction Score
It's the Bleacher Report so I don't expect any semblance of journalism there but there so much unknowns to this story. Jones CAN'T be that stupid.

Reaction Score
Your optimism about the bounds of human stupidity is charming.

Reaction Score
Before I read the article I was ok was it an aggressive pan handler its not like I have never dealt with them in Hartford (they all want drugs anyways well most of them). To go up to a sleeping homeless guy and stomping on him you are the scum of the earth at least Ron Artest's malice at the palace was in the heat of passion, this guy deserves a lengthy suspension.

K

Kemballin'

Ok, so basically I agree this was at least somewhat a product of Calipari. Granted this kid was obviously pretty messed up before going to Kentucky, but keep in mind, being in the company of somebody like the squid probably didn't help. Do any of you seriously think that a cheater who has no respect for any of the other coaches or teams is a good role model? The reason we don't accredit the lottery play to the squid is because he didn't do anything to change them. And believe it or not, I'm accrediting this to the squid because he didn't do anything to change Jones. A truly great coach can bring in a player with some deep issues like Jones, and turn his life around, make him a better person, be a positive influence on him. The reason this is aggravating is because this shows even more that the squid doesn't really influence any of his players.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Squid is no more responsible for jones than JC is for toraino and mike Hayes. Let it go.
I'm not defending or attacking the Squid particularly on this issue. The op was discussing the media's relationship with Calipari vs. JC. After what UConn went through the past four or so years I feel his gripe has merit even if he chose an example with little merit.

BigErn constantly takes issue with anything to do with people's offensive remarks about Calipari and is non discriminatory imo. To me it is an over the top defense of someone who is not part of the UConn family and who has had an acrimonious direct and indirect relationship with the program this forum supports. I have an issue with how he approaches posters when they present their feelings about this subject. His point of view has merit. His approach does not. Your simple answer would have sufficed. I hope this clarifies this for you and @boog204.

Reaction Score

I prefer to think of it as attempting to maintain some semblance of rational thought, rather than "protecting" someone. This board's Kentucky/Calipari complex is embarrassing.

Reaction Score
BigErn constantly takes issue with anything to do with people's offensive remarks about Calipari and is non discriminatory imo. To me it is an over the top defense of someone who is not part of the UConn family and who has had an acrimonious direct and indirect relationship with the program this forum supports. I have an issue with how he approaches posters when they present their feelings about this subject. His point of view has merit. His approach does not. Your simple answer would have sufficed. I hope this clarifies this for you and @boog204.

First of all, read the post from "Kemballin'" immediately above yours. It's lunacy.

Second, I have no idea what your problem is with my "approach." I asked a question. Does the fact that I asked a question hurt your feelings? To you that's "an over the top defense"? I mean, you're clearly enamored of your own intellect, but you seem to be way off the mark on this one. I noted the inconsistency of simultaneously blaming Calipari for whatever foibles his players have while also contending that he deserves no credit for what they do on the court. And to you that's an "over the top defense"? I think you need to rethink that one.

And, for the record, this board's collective fixation on Calipari is embarrassing. It's not a mandatory requirement of posting on here that you buy into all the tinfoil hat nonsense that gets thrown around about UK.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
First of all, read the post from "Kemballin'" immediately above yours. It's lunacy.

Second, I have no idea what your problem is with my "approach." I asked a question. Does the fact that I asked a question hurt your feelings? To you that's "an over the top defense"? I mean, you're clearly enamored of your own intellect, but you seem to be way off the mark on this one. I noted the inconsistency of simultaneously blaming Calipari for whatever foibles his players have while also contending that he deserves no credit for what they do on the court. And to you that's an "over the top defense"? I think you need to rethink that one.

And, for the record, this board's collective fixation on Calipari is embarrassing. It's not a mandatory requirement of posting on here that you buy into all the tinfoil hat nonsense that gets thrown around about UK.
I get what you're doing. I have no problem with bringing balance or rationality to the forum. I've engaged periodically with it myself. What I see to be the major difference between us is that you have zero tolerance for irrationality regarding certain things. I may feel the same way you do about people being irrational in a particular topic but I see a value to letting people vent.

I prefer to wait until the mob appears to be getting out of control before stepping in. At that point the value of venting is superseded by my perception there is a potential to do violence. It's a gray area when to step in and when to let things play out.

I chose to engage you because I respect you as a poster. I also feel you are not fragile and I could use our discussion as a teaching moment to others.

I felt some advice would be worthy. I guess I didn't need to be snarky with my first post but I really wanted to get your attention because of the value I perceive that you bring to this forum. Incessant challenge loses effectiveness and respect over time. I have no problem with scolding someone. But I use it as a last resort. Scolding or isolating people gets the job done quickly if the result intended is to make people afraid to express themselves. But it doesn't allow people to make a committed change. The way to get the most effective change is to let people determine if the way they are looking at or doing things is in their best interest and/or the greater good of the world. Most of us have moments of irrationality but on the whole are very rational. It's hard to move in the best direction when someone puts a foot on our neck.

This is my advice to anyone. If someone does or says something and that action creates anger or resentment within us, we first should try to understand why it has that effect on us before proceeding to react. Or if we do react in the heat of the moment to reflect later on why that behavior triggered us. Most of us justify our actions and reactions and there is alway something that gives us justification. So this is less about the way we should proceed but more about why things bother us. There is usually a reason why one guy can laugh at abuse and another one can't. None of us have the same computer and programming. Our input/output is contingent upon this. We can fix other people somewhat, but can only really fix ourselves. That doesn't mean we don't offer advice or try to guide one another.

Reaction Score
Ok, so basically I agree this was at least somewhat a product of Calipari. Granted this kid was obviously pretty messed up before going to Kentucky, but keep in mind, being in the company of somebody like the squid probably didn't help. Do any of you seriously think that a cheater who has no respect for any of the other coaches or teams is a good role model? The reason we don't accredit the lottery play to the squid is because he didn't do anything to change them. And believe it or not, I'm accrediting this to the squid because he didn't do anything to change Jones. A truly great coach can bring in a player with some deep issues like Jones, and turn his life around, make him a better person, be a positive influence on him. The reason this is aggravating is because this shows even more that the squid doesn't really influence any of his players.
that was a coherent, rationale argument. well done.

K

Kemballin'

fryface.jpg

^Not sure if serious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads