OT: Tennis Year End Championships | The Boneyard

OT: Tennis Year End Championships

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Second only to the Majors, the top 8 players square off in a round robin. The men's contest have no Americans, and they are covered by the Tennis Channel.

Unfortunately though Sloane and Madison were the US Open finalists, they did not accumulate enough points through the year to be ranked in the top 8. Ah, but Venus did.
Now this year we are in Singapore, so that leaves us with inconvenient tv viewing, like at the Australian.
And speaking of tv, I had a major hunt to find coverage. It's being shown on BEIM, which for my zip code is 831(Spectrum).

Because I have a sports package, I get it. We kick off at 5am tomorrow.
Here are your participants. Cheer loudly.

Home - BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Venus has had 3 matches as the opening to these championships. She lost her initial contest to Katerina Pliskova, usually the best server among the 8. Then she needed to beat the French Open winner, Jalena Ostopenko. That amounted to 3 plus hours and a 3-set triumph.
Then 2 days later, she needed to recover and face the woman who knocked her out of the Wimbledon final, Garbine Muguruza.
I couldn't watch with high optimism, as Garbine has owned Venus in about 5 previous slugfests. But the amazing 37-year old surprises again, eliminating the Spaniard in straight sets.
The other group of 4 finishes up tomorrow morning EST, and that will determine the semifinal match-ups.

Here is the write-up of Venus' match, which just ended 1 1/2 hours ago.

Venus downs Muguruza to reach Singapore semifinals

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The semis are set for Saturday.
Karolina Pliskova vs. Caroline Wozniacki about 4am
Venus vs Caroline Garcia about 7:30am

Three K(C)arolines, like moons, circling 1 Venus. Whoever heard of such a thing?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The finals are now set. It took the Woz an 11-9 1st set tiebreak to set the stage for her win, 6-3 in the 2nd.
Venus had a tougher road, losing the first set, also a tiebreak. Double faults were a deficiency, including 2 in that tie break.
She came back to hold her serve perfectly in sets 2 & 3, while breaking Garcia 3 times. Another 2 1/2 hour contest for the 37 year old with the auto-immune disease. How does she do it?
She says it's because of plenty of sun screen, fruits, and veggies. Go figure.
Now I'm glad her opponent will be the Woz, cause Venus has a tough time with Pliskova.
I know, I know, be careful what you wish for. And the Woz has had a very good year.
At times like this I think of Moses. What? Moses?!
Yeah, cause Venus made the
Aussie finals, but didn't win. Venus made the Wimbledon finals, but didn't win.
Will she be thwarted once again from entering the Promised Land?

Tomorrow at 7:30am.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom