OT - Temple took out Wichita State... | The Boneyard

OT - Temple took out Wichita State...

Reaction Score
i feel like wichita are finally and slowly being exposed. they got into the tourney from that despicable conference called the MVC because of their previous reputation, (like gonzaga does) even if they don't even get 1 quality win from their non conference slate. thanks temple!

Reaction Score
Like I said in the Temple game thread, how is Temple 10-10
Their fans think the coach REALLY sucks and should be FIRED.

A good case can be made they are correct.

Anyways I was very high on Temple coming into the season. So that teams total lack of consistency caught me off guard.

Reaction Score
They've beaten Clemson, Auburn, South Carolina, @ SMU, Wichita but lost to La Salle, GW and Tulane. Curious if they can make a run once they get to Orlando in March.

Reaction Score
They've beaten Clemson, Auburn, South Carolina, @ SMU, Wichita but lost to La Salle, GW and Tulane. Curious if they can make a run once they get to Orlando in March.
Their schedule is fairly soft down the stretch. If they can get on a bit of a roll, they can still earn an at large bid.

thedrowsyowl

TU student from CT
Reaction Score
Their fans think the coach REALLY sucks and should be FIRED.

A good case can be made they are correct.

Anyways I was very high on Temple coming into the season. So that teams total lack of consistency caught me off guard.

Temple student/fan here: if you visit the Temple Basketball Fans FB group (which is private, but that's not the point), you'll see that the fanbase has the same opinion on Dunph that you guys have on Ollie: that he should be gone after this season. This win nonwithstanding, Temple has the talent to not be 12-10 with losses to Tulane, George Washington, and La Salle. We also had the world's STUPIDEST loss against Cincy at home (technical called on Fran because of his water bottle slipped onto the court), got beat on an OT buzzer beater vs Memphis, and only scored 39....yes 39...at UCF.
Fran is also 3-16 in the tournament in his career. Let that sink in. At least Ollie has a championship....or at least a sweet 16. A lot of fans are sick of the fact his teams are not tough physically or mentally, and at least he used to have good regular seasons--now that's gone.
Unfortunately, Temple does NOT fire coaches, and the fanbase is in the dark about his contract, so he's likely here until 2021.

Reaction Score
Temple student/fan here: if you visit the Temple Basketball Fans FB group (which is private, but that's not the point), you'll see that the fanbase has the same opinion on Dunph that you guys have on Ollie: that he should be gone after this season. This win nonwithstanding, Temple has the talent to not be 12-10 with losses to Tulane, George Washington, and La Salle. We also had the world's STUPIDEST loss against Cincy at home (technical called on Fran because of his water bottle slipped onto the court), got beat on an OT buzzer beater vs Memphis, and only scored 39....yes 39...at UCF.
Fran is also 3-16 in the tournament in his career. Let that sink in. At least Ollie has a championship....or at least a sweet 16. A lot of fans are sick of the fact his teams are not tough physically or mentally, and at least he used to have good regular seasons--now that's gone.
Unfortunately, Temple does NOT fire coaches, and the fanbase is in the dark about his contract, so he's likely here until 2021.
Sorry to hear that. At least we are hearing rumblings that this could be it for KO. I hope our administration isn't naive and finds a way to move on. Hope you guys can find a similar solution if needed soon as it is tough to see your program become a mediocre in anaverage conference.

thedrowsyowl

TU student from CT
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. At least we are hearing rumblings that this could be it for KO. I hope our administration isn't naive and finds a way to move on. Hope you guys can find a similar solution if needed soon as it is tough to see your program become a mediocre in anaverage conference.

For some reason, Temple does not historically fire coaches (except for firing Bruce Arians, which put our football program back like 10 years but...)
The best-case scenario is that Dunph gets out of his own way, grooms Aaron McKie to be head coach-in-waiting, we actually win a tourney game, and that's that.
The other big thing is the media LOVES LOVES LOVES Dunphy. He's objectively a good guy. Runs a squeaky-clean program, teaches a class, is a Big 5 legend (they say the same things every game), but most of the fanbase feels he's not getting the job done, which is winning games in the tournament. It's a tough situation. I hope both Temple and UConn (my hometown school) get back on track, the conference needs that.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
really as insane as it sounds Temple can still get an at large bid with the wins they have. SOS of 3 and RPI of 42 puts them right there. 3 winnable games (@ Tulane, ECU, @ USF) coming up and all of a sudden they're 15-10 (7-6).

Reaction Score
... by two in OT @ home.
Looks like Wichita was fools gold for our conference, or we are better than those on this board believe, cuz the shockers ain’t shocking anyone here in the mighty aac.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Looks like Wichita was fools gold for our conference, or we are better than those on this board believe, cuz the shockers ain’t shocking anyone here in the mighty aac.

hahahahahaha

pj

Reaction Score
Wichita was a bad long-term investment for the league, but after ECU and Tulsa, might as well keep doubling down.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Wichita was a bad long-term investment for the league, but after ECU and Tulsa, might as well keep doubling down.
Yup. Once they are exposed, we are left with the third most popular team in Kansas, whose existence is basically at the whim o the Koch brothers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So people are off the Greg Marshall train now?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
really as insane as it sounds Temple can still get an at large bid with the wins they have. SOS of 3 and RPI of 42 puts them right there. 3 winnable games (@ Tulane, ECU, @ USF) coming up and all of a sudden they're 15-10 (7-6).
As long as nobody calls them "very winnable."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Time will tell. Wichita took the next step and challenged itself. It would be much worse all the way around if they did just as well in the American.
There once was a team that started in the MVC , went to C-USA, then Big East, and out maneuvered UConn for the final P5 slot in the ACC. Time will tell where that one goes too.
And then there was that one out of the Yankee Conference...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
WSU missed shots they normally make and there wasn't a whole lot of defensive pressure on them by Temple. The team on the court at the end of the game is not the team that WSU starts and considers it's strong 5. I am not taking anything away from Temple's win - it was a really good win. And as far as Dunphy is concerned the guy knows basketball and seems to get some really good athletic players to Temple.
Tulsa beat SMU last night in a game that SMU was never really in it but SMU had 3 starters out, still Tulsa has put together some good wins
I disagree when folks say the AAC is a mediocre league - its an up and coming league in both Football and Basketball - it's just doesn't have that P5 label and the $ that come with it. Being outside the P5 hurts everyone in recruitment. That's what sucks the most. Even Jay Wright has said that recruiting at Nova has taken a big step back since the OBE disbanded.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Like I said in the Temple game thread, how is Temple 10-10

They have several good wins and bad losses. They are inconsistent. Like UConn, but better.

Reaction Score
So people are off the Greg Marshall train now?
Not me...but the idea WSU was going to steamroll themselves into the Final4 and easily win the AAC like many in the national media projected was pretty ridiculous. Having said that I expect WSU to still be a legit 2nd weekend threat in the NCAA Tourney. Solid team for sure.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Wichita State only beat 1 NCAA Tournament team all last year, and that happened to occur DURING the NCAA Tournament. They were way overrated thanks to gaudy metrics and by virtue of playing UK so close that hype rolled over into this season. They have nice players, certainly ones that are capable of pulling upsets in the tournament. However over the course of the season, the lack of athletes will wear on you. They are all the way down to #62 defensively. I don't think their fans understood the step up in competition. Houston, Temple, SMU, Cincinnati and even UConn and Memphis to an extent have high major caliber athletes on the wings. Wichita is too slow defensively to keep up. They can barely guard simple pick and rolls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom