OT - Tattoos and college athletes | The Boneyard

OT - Tattoos and college athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I was watching the Oregon/Illinois game the other night, and trying my best not to gouge my eyes out with a fork, and I couldn't help but notice how just about every player had full sleeve tattoos on one or both arms and then some. I have a few tattoos myself so I by know means am against these guys getting as much ink as they want, but I am curious how they pay for it...

There's always the possibility they bartered with a local parlor like the OSU kids a few years ago, but where do they get the money for them??? For those of you who don't have tattoos, they're not cheap. To give you perspective, I have one on my shoulder about 3"x3" that cost me about $150 (not including tip). Extrapolate that to your entire arm and you're looking at quite a hefty price tag for a teenage kid.

With that thought for the day aside...my god Oregon is a terrible team to watch. Illinois was literally just dribbling around the 3pt line then just about handing the ball to an Oregon player as if to say they really just weren't interested in throwing the ball in or around the hoop. In response, Oregon looks for a highlight reel play to showcase their athleticism all while seemingly forgetting the finer points of offense like running a play, or passing. When they play a halfway decent team that has any kind of organized defense they are going to get smoked.

Reaction Score
So I was watching the Oregon/Illinois game the other night, and trying my best not to gouge my eyes out with a fork, and I couldn't help but notice how just about every player had full sleeve tattoos on one or both arms and then some. I have a few tattoos myself so I by know means am against these guys getting as much ink as they want, but I am curious how they pay for it...

There's always the possibility they bartered with a local parlor like the OSU kids a few years ago, but where do they get the money for them??? For those of you who don't have tattoos, they're not cheap. To give you perspective, I have one on my shoulder about 3"x3" that cost me about $150 (not including tip). Extrapolate that to your entire arm and you're looking at quite a hefty price tag for a teenage kid.

With that thought for the day aside...my god Oregon is a terrible team to watch. Illinois was literally just dribbling around the 3pt line then just about handing the ball to an Oregon player as if to say they really just weren't interested in throwing the ball in or around the hoop. In response, Oregon looks for a highlight reel play to showcase their athleticism all while seemingly forgetting the finer points of offense like running a play, or passing. When they play a halfway decent team that has any kind of organized defense they are going to get smoked.
tats are free in juvy

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I always wondered the same thing but I came to the conclusion (in my head) that they had friends that are tattoo artist's. At least that's what I want to believe in my own happy trusting world!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If I'm a tattoo artist, I give any athlete that's on TV a free tat. Free advertising.

Reaction Score
If I'm a tattoo artist, I give any athlete that's on TV a free tat. Free advertising.
Isn't that considered an illegal benefit? Totally agree with that though especially if you don't get caught

Reaction Score
I would guess 80% of D1 college basketball players receive something that is considered an illegal benefit. And I could not care less.

Reaction Score
I know several people with many tattoos which they shouldn't have been able to afford and they did not receive "illegal benefits." Shockingly, sometimes people aren't fiscally responsible.

Reaction Score
I'm glad tattoos really weren't 'in' at all when I was younger. Otherwise, I'd probably have ended up with a Ren & Stimpy one.

Along that general idea, if you're in your late teens and early 20s, has enough significant stuff in your life happened to merit full sleeves on both arms? What happens when these guys have a family, significant other, get married, start a company etc and want to commemorate that? A lot of their prime real estate would have been used because they thought a skull with flaming basketballs for eyes was cool.

At any rate, whatever these guys had done is worlds better than the random collection of comic strip characters that Devendorf sported.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I always liked Ray's response to why he wasn't inked up. "Have you ever seen what they look like when you age and your skin starts to sag?"
Like his skin's ever going to sag with the shape he keeps himself in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom