OT: Taking A Survey On Stupidity | The Boneyard

OT: Taking A Survey On Stupidity

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I feel sorta proprietary about Yellowstone and I just really wish that Old Faithful had been just a little bit early Friday when that jerk (stoned?) was doing his thang.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yellowstone probably gets more than its fair share of stupidity. The fact that there are signs everywhere telling you to not try to ride the bison or put your children on top of them for photos means someone has tried it. A 2,000 lb. animal with sharp horns and hooves, what could possibly go wrong? SMH.

I'm certain people have died there leaving the boardwalk trails and walking in areas that are clearly indicated to stay out of, they punch thru the thin crust of earth and are boiled alive in a thermal feature.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wait, there's more, also friday I believe:

That's great that the elk could take a little time out from the all important task of fighting another bull to trot over and knock the crap out of a touron. You notice how a few of the photographers start to back away but most of them didn't even budge? There's something about National Parks, some of the visitors turn their brains off. It's like they think they are at Disneyland or something and they fail to register that these are large wild animals that sometimes behave unpredictably.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Year ago I was at Glacier NP w/ my dad. There was a mountain goat in the parking lot at Logan Pass licking up some antifreeze that had dripped from a car. A crowd of people surrounded it. The goat started stamping its foot and waving it's head around. That is a clear signal of "back off, I'm getting a little bit irritated." The sign was ignored by the crowd. My dad and I left the scene, we weren't going to get gored and didn't really want to see it happen to someone else.

Reaction Score
stupidity-sign-670x335.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yellowstone probably gets more than its fair share of stupidity. The fact that there are signs everywhere telling you to not try to ride the bison or put your children on top of them for photos means someone has tried it. A 2,000 lb. animal with sharp horns and hooves, what could possibly go wrong? SMH.

I'm certain people have died there leaving the boardwalk trails and walking in areas that are clearly indicated to stay out of, they punch thru the thin crust of earth and are boiled alive in a thermal feature.

Yup, they have and did. Two of the 5 guys who tromped all over a major thermal feature last year, tracked down and in the process of prosecution, died in another national park this year doing something stupid too. Karma is a beach.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Year ago I was at Glacier NP w/ my dad. There was a mountain goat in the parking lot at Logan Pass licking up some antifreeze that had dripped from a car. A crowd of people surrounded it. The goat started stamping its foot and waving it's head around. That is a clear signal of "back off, I'm getting a little bit irritated." The sign was ignored by the crowd. My dad and I left the scene, we weren't going to get gored and didn't really want to see it happen to someone else.

The goats there are incredible. They have no fear and as the summer goes on they, like the Park Service Rangers, get more and more weary of the tourists.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thank you for saying that stupidity is OT! ;)

Thanks for participating! ;)

I was hoping to have others post videos along those lines, but once you birth a thread you just have to let it be free!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have found the solution for really, really stupid tourist!

M1uxHYbxb28hPunfdcAHMcCIYavK3Hzdd8YIbS8d1IRXOcE84caqrKLfso6vREUGeQT9USdb0DSbIudtFPboYgRGwk0glNE0Hs4AKj_qzf2___DvOOvjRinF8FAC4-o2eaSuayahNDov7-o=s0-d-e1-ft

Meet Roosevelt . I suspect he's always hungry. Just a guess.

Got time on your hands? Check out the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. I'm not affiliated, except we have been members for quite a while and thses animals are amazing. If you ever visit Yellowstone you have to go to this place in west Yellowstone. Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center -

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The bears at the discovery center are paid to test outdoor products, mostly garbage pails, but occasionally something like this:

YHSeR9jDNlJXxiLQR8OGnBabxBM-DeOfTie100BVZshdlEYeiiIbrgUmk1MUln_F39VNM2RUnDlWJCAM0EsXON2mbOQYRSFxH_ck_iM3kVAHVwx7Rt_9oeZySKIn6lhhbmhqRYAXHHytZBU=s0-d-e1-ft

Yup, that's Roosevelt and he's one of the smaller male grizzlies.

There, now I'm done with my summer vacation slides show.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle has a pair of grizzlies. They have an annual event where they set up a mock campsite in their enclosure. Then they let the bruins loose to have some fun. They just wreck tents, coolers etc. It's meant to be an educational tool on why it's important to keep a clean camp in bear country. Also shows that bear canisters really are effective.

Last edited:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Mrs. Bear and I were out in Yellowstone 4 years ago, this week. We saw several folks, all of whom appeared to be overseas tourists, walking on the "DON"T WALK HERE" areas, all in search of a picture/selfie. We had the impression that there's a lot of non-English speaking/reading tourists who's tour guides need to give a good talking-to.

Reaction Score
There should be a, TOO STUPID TO LIVE! law where you can legally put a qualifier out of their misery!
An example, A guy in New Haven a couple of years ago, overnight robs a 7 11 store and breaks the front door glass with his hand cutting it deeply.
steals some stuff and walks home in the snow the 2 blocks to his apt.
The police track the blood to his front door and they ring the bell, the thief comes to the door with a towel on his deep cut hand.
The police arrest him and he asks them, "How did you find me so fast?"
TOO STUPID TO LIVE LAW!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom