OT: Syracuse As A School | The Boneyard

OT: Syracuse As A School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know we hate Syracuse, but does anyone here have a fair, non-biased knowledge on the school itself? Unfortunately, a close family member was accepted and wants to attend Syracuse over UCONN. Like does anyone here know how the academics for a computer science degree are, dorms are, how the food is, and how is overall life at the school? I would post this on the Syracuse board if I have to but I would prefer to see if anyone here knows more before creating an account and using it once. The future student would not be in the athletics program, but only going to the school itself.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, a close family member was accepted and wants to attend Syracuse over UCONN.

My advice? Cut ties with that family member.

Seriously though, Cuse is a massively overpriced private school that has public school level facilities and classroom density. Couple that with the fact that the degree isn't particularly more valuable than similarly ranked schools in the region for the price and you are looking at an overpriced education. Just my 2cents. After having graduated recently (from Storrs), if I had to go back again I'd never pick a private school, unless it was an Ivy, or Stanford/Duke.

Reaction Score
This place is the second-most biased place to ask, second to syracusefan.com

Ask elsewhere if you want a more objective opinion and/or of someone who actually went there. There are plenty of other places to find out.

Unless this is some hidden invitation for UConn fans to rag on Cuse any way we can, then cheerio and carry on

Reaction Score
Obviously I'm biased, but to me going to Syracuse over UConn makes absolutely zero sense.

The academic rankings are similar, they're both pretty much in the middle of nowhere and cold as hell in the winter, but Syracuse will cost you like 4x as much.

Speaking as someone who graduated from UConn in '09 with no student debt, it's a HUGE leg up in the world. I own a house and have a healthy 401k now. If I had a ton of debt, I wouldn't have either of those things.

Reaction Score
Currently enrolled here at Storrs, with a close friend up at Cuse. Academically very similar, dorms are nicer for underclassmen, food is below what we have here from what I tried while visiting. They enjoy partying, and the atmosphere is much more greek life oriented than here at UConn. As stated by others, massively overpriced and probably not worth the money unless you are a Newhouse student, or looking to get a dual-degree.

Reaction Score
Thanks all. To be fair the family member doesn't live in CT but in NY (didn't mention that in the OP) but then why not go to a SUNY School I said to him. I really wanted him to go to UCONN but I understand the out of state tuition problem, but then you want to go to Syracuse. I am not going to invade of force his decision, but I told him UCONN since he obviously will go to 'Cuse and they cost about the same for OOS Tuition, but would understand if he went to a SUNY School. But Syracuse?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
If you...I mean if your close relative gets there without getting freaky with Laurie Fine then you did...I mean THEY did something wrong.

Reaction Score
Thanks all. To be fair the family member doesn't live in CT but in NY (didn't mention that in the OP) but then why not go to a SUNY School I said to him. I really wanted him to go to UCONN but I understand the out of state tuition problem, but then you want to go to Syracuse. I am not going to invade of force his decision, but I told him UCONN since he obviously will go to 'Cuse and they cost about the same for OOS Tuition, but would understand if he went to a SUNY School. But Syracuse?
Well, for my theoretical future kids I'll always argue for public schools over private to get out debt free, regardless of whether the public school is UConn. Not sure about the academics of the SUNY schools but I'm sure some are better than others.

If he's insisting on Syracuse it's obviously a pretty good school. Private tuition just makes me shudder. I'm at BU for graduate school now, and if my employer wasn't reimbursing most of it I'd be at UMass Boston. Private schools outside of the Ivy League (or close to it) just aren't worth it.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Let me start this by saying I come from a household that was fortunately well off so we had a very tough time getting scholarships when it came time to apply to colleges.

I went out of state to UConn and graduated May '15. I had a small scholarship upon enrolling but due to my grades the university ended up upping my scholarship a considerable amount. Wound up paying slightly less than an in state student pays my last 2 years. UConn Bursar for as much as people obviously hate them do a really really good job. I also wound up getting a job on campus in the student activities office.

My brother also has had a fantastic experience with the Nebraska bursar office. Got a large scholarship straight from high school and then was granted an additional out of state scholarship this semester. Pays like $5k a YEAR to go to school there. Works a desk job with the intramural department. Absolutely loves his experience so far and was able to land an internship as a FRESHMAN majoring in finance through the UNL College of Business Administration. In great shape.

My sister goes to Auburn and has received not a dime back. Not one dime. They are huge sticklers in regards to financial aid (especially to families making above a certain threshold). She tried to get an on campus job and was told her financial situation didn't allow for her to work on campus for Auburn as she could "afford not to". Huh?

Lesson: Each school differs greatly when it comes to financial aid/scholarships, and a scholarship is always revokable if you don't maintain certain grade criteria, and if you excel you can be rewarded if you attend the right university. If tuition is a serious concern, I would suggest looking into schools that would be willing to give large amounts of grants/scholarships/financial aid to lower the cost. Private schools unless they are Ivy/Duke/Stanford/USC/Emory really make no sense to me but sometimes you have to let people learn on their own. Have this kid reach out to current students at both schools if he can and really consider what the financial impacts are. If he has his heart set on Syracuse then let him go. My parents wanted me to go to Clemson and we went back and forth forever before I wound up going to Storrs. Best decision of my life. Just support the kid whatever he chooses, but make sure its an educated decision.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Well, for my theoretical future kids I'll always argue for public schools over private to get out debt free, regardless of whether the public school is UConn. Not sure about the academics of the SUNY schools but I'm sure some are better than others.

If he's insisting on Syracuse it's obviously a pretty good school. Private tuition just makes me shudder. I'm at BU for graduate school now, and if my employer wasn't reimbursing most of it I'd be at UMass Boston. Private schools outside of the Ivy League (or close to it) just aren't worth it.
I had no idea you are at BU for grad school, same here! And yes I completely agree with you. Getting a 70k tuition fee bill (instruments and living not included) each year kills me a little bit on the inside.

Reaction Score

When I lived in Boston for a few years Fall '12-'15 when I was in grad school, I dated a lot of lovely smart girls from almost all the better city schools. Definitely worth it IMO ;) BU and NEU were best to me, Suffolk was pretty good to me as well

BUConn10

Reaction Score
When I lived in Boston for a few years Fall '12-'15 when I was in grad school, I dated a lot of lovely smart girls from almost all the better city schools. Definitely worth it IMO ;) BU and NEU were best to me, Suffolk was pretty good to me as well
The number of schools in this city is mind blowing. Highest proportion of 18-24 year olds in any major American city.

Reaction Score
If the cost is the same it's all about what you like, you will get a very good education at both, if he/she is a sports fan they are guaranteed to see championships if he goes to Uconn. At Cuse he/she is guaranteed to see successful December's and January's in dreary Syracuse with an early flame out in March. Also the city of Syracuse is a dump and it only seems to be getting worse.

Reaction Score
The number of schools in this city is mind blowing. Highest proportion of 18-24 year olds in any major American city.
I remember when I was visiting schools for undergrad, initially applying for engineering, I looked at UConn and NEU (mainly for their co-op). I remember hearing at some point how there are like 200k+ student-age people in the city, which is nearly a third the total population.

It really is mind-blowing when you think about it. Maybe it's because I had had more than my fair share of partying by the time I wrapped up my time at UConn, but I never cared much for the Allston bar scene where most of those college kids congregate, in Huskies 2.0. I lived in Cambridge by Central for a year and those "college" bars were fine to me; completely different, more chill feel in Harvard (unless you stumbled in to Hong Kong) MIT and Davis

Girls were still almost too easy to meet though regardless.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You won't get a serious answer here, nor at Syracusefan, if you posted the same question.

Anyone with a serious answer, please send Connecticut a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom