OT: Summer vacation destinations? | The Boneyard

OT: Summer vacation destinations?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I was thinking of planning a mini summer vacation and was looking for ideas from other Boneyarders.

I have been going to Lake George, NY the past few years. I have also been to Cape Cod, and the southern Jersey Shore (Wildwood). I have never gone to Ocean City MD/Virginia Beach/Myrtle Beach......

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I have kids and we went to Virginia two years ago (Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach) and had a great time. We didn't make reservations but just drove from the Williamsburg area to Virginia Beach and spent three days at a hotel right on the beach with a great view of the sunset. We'll probably check out Ocean City Maryland this year. Cape Cod is a can't miss and eastern Long Island coast is great if you can rent a place but I've heard it's very expensive.

Reaction Score
Mid-coast Maine is really nice in the summer, especially if you have the time to travel down the many peninsulas north of Portland or go out to some of the islands (good ferry system). The east end of Long Island is also fun; the North Fork has lots of wineries and Montauk great surf; again easy ferry ride between the two.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Mid-coast Maine is really nice in the summer, especially if you have the time to travel down the many peninsulas north of Portland or go out to some of the islands (good ferry system). The east end of Long Island is also fun; the North Fork has lots of wineries and Montauk great surf; again easy ferry ride between the two.
Maine is great too. I would have mentioned it but it's a long drive. Acadia National Park is about as close to pristine natural beauty as it gets.

Reaction Score
I'd recommend the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

We did Plum Island, MA in early August last year and were miserable in 60 degree cold and rainy weather.

Until these weird weather patterns settle down, we'll be heading well south of the Mason-Dixon line in the future.

Reaction Score

We did Plum Island, MA in early August last year and were miserable in 60 degree cold and rainy weather.

Until these weird weather patterns settle down, we'll be heading well south of the Mason-Dixon line in the future.

I second the Outer Banks. I've been to most of the places mentioned and liked them all, but absolutely loved the Outer Banks. Drove from Mass to the OB 3 years in a row while my kids were still in school and we still talk about how much we liked it.

Reaction Score

These days, you need to hit Plum Island, MA in March....perfect weather!!!!

Reaction Score
You looking to rent a house or stay in a hotel/inn?

You can save a bunch of time and go to Bethany Beach instead of driving all the way to the OB.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was thinking of planning a mini summer vacation and was looking for ideas from other Boneyarders.

I have been going to Lake George, NY the past few years. I have also been to Cape Cod, and the southern Jersey Shore (Wildwood). I have never gone to Ocean City MD/Virginia Beach/Myrtle Beach......

Best place in the world: www.gotahoenorth.com

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Lake Winnepausaukie in NH and North Conway area.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
At first glance that looks like "Got a Hoe North .com"

Funny enough, it used to be www.Gotahoe.com before it was changed as part of a consolidation with another convention bureau in Tahoe. The phone number was 800-gotahoe. People would often laugh when they saw the phone number. For some reason they noticed that more than the website.

Reaction Score
Tahoe is awesome. I went there last summer and really enjoyed it. Somewhat hard to get to, but I stayed a night in San Fran and drove over, which was about a three or four hour drive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My inlaws live on Cape Cod. I wouldn't go there.

Not sure how old you are, if you're married, kids, etc. That tends to make a difference.

Bar Harbor and the Acadia National Park is a great suggestion. Good restaurants, bars, etc., especially if you stay right downtown. The national park is like going to a different world - the top of Cadillac Mountain is one of my favorite places on earth. (Bring a bike - ride up Cadillac.)

Block Island is fun. It's an island. Those are fun.

If you like Lake George, consider the Finger Lakes region. They have a lot of lakes. Those are fun.

Outer Banks - can't miss.

Myrtle Beach - can't miss. (Many years ago, when the earth had just cooled, me and some friends went to Myrtle Beach. The only thing I really remember is that we saw Hootie and the Blowfish playing in some bar before they became Hootie and the Blowfish. Hootie and the Blowfish ruined this brush with fame for me when they turned out to be a sucky pop band.)

I like Burlington, Vermont as well. Nobody else seems to like it as much as I do, but I really like it there. I might be a lesbian.

If you have kids, give Disney all of your money and go on a Disney cruise. They have Mickey Mouse on a boat. Those are fun.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Lots of good suggestions. Thanks. Yes I'm married with children...

Reaction Score
Ocean City, Md is a great place. Going this year myself. Also like San Diego, Hilton Head Island and Paradise Island. The Cape is always a convenient destination. I only go where there are beaches.

Reaction Score
Fishy hit up a bunch - finger lakes wine country = great. Way, way underrated = Fire Island. Terrific for kids - 31 miles long, quarter mile wide. You get around by foot or bicycle - beaches are awesome. And only 45 minutes from NYC. It feels tropical, bamboo, cool little towns and parks.

Reaction Score
I have kids and we went to Virginia two years ago (Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach) and had a great time. We didn't make reservations but just drove from the Williamsburg area to Virginia Beach and spent three days at a hotel right on the beach with a great view of the sunset. We'll probably check out Ocean City Maryland this year. Cape Cod is a can't miss and eastern Long Island coast is great if you can rent a place but I've heard it's very expensive.
We did the same route - spent a couple days at Colonial Williamsburg, did Busch Gardens then spent the rest of the week on Virginia Beach doing the whole honky tonk boardwalk thing. LOTS of fun for all ages.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Tahoe is awesome. I went there last summer and really enjoyed it. Somewhat hard to get to, but I stayed a night in San Fran and drove over, which was about a three or four hour drive.
160 flights a day in/out of Reno (40 miles) and a few hundred in/out of Sacramento (90 miles). No reason to fly in to SF and drive. Unless of course you want to spend time in SF, drive through Napa and then hit Tahoe. Now that's a good trip right there!

Reaction Score

Outer Banks in NC is great for a real get away.

Reaction Score
160 flights a day in/out of Reno (40 miles) and a few hundred in/out of Sacramento (90 miles). No reason to fly in to SF and drive. Unless of course you want to spend time in SF, drive through Napa and then hit Tahoe. Now that's a good trip right there!

I'm a huge Giants fan and I don't get out to Northern California very often. So when I booked the trip to Tahoe and found out that the Giants had a series against the Phillies the weekend before in San Fran, I had to jump on the opportunity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Big area you didn't mention is budget, but you've got great ideas so far.

I've been to Tahoe during the summer- awesome.
Outer Banks- awesome.
Disney Cruises- awesome.
Finger Lakes- awesome.
Orlando Parks- awesome.
San Diego- awesome.

Anywhere from Cape Cod to Va Beach- forgetaboutit. Personal opinion- having lived in Va Beach for 9 years and having driven along US1 between Va Beach and Joisey is that it's the arm pit of American beaches. General rule of thumb is that if it's on the Ocean and within an 8 hour drive of NJ it's worth skipping (because the people who live in NJ will be there).

I would also recommend the Florida Keys, and the gulf coast of Florida from Tampa/St Pete through Pensacola where I live. Best beaches anywhere.

Reaction Score
Just like a lot have said, outer banks is great. Went there for the first time last summer and i just booked a house for early june with a handful of friends for a week. easy to find places with very reasonable lodging prices. Couple of really good seafood shacks down there too, and you can't help but like brew-thru where you can pick up some beer in the safety of your car

parasailing, hiking the dunes, some airplane museum, tons of minigolf, and some pretty nice beach areas make for a good time. kitty hawk, and naggs head (most touristy) are my favorites so far

SJ

Reaction Score
I absolutely love York/Ogunquit/Wells Maine. There is a trolley, quaint shopping for the ladies, arcade and taffy making for kids, an ocean river you can tube or kayak on, and a beautiful coast. I drove up a small part of the coast last year finding lighthouses and war forts. Pretty cool!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom