OT Summer League | The Boneyard

OT Summer League

Reaction Score
The summer league began on Monday but it begins in earnest today with Vegas. 5 years ago nobody cared. Tonight it is a spectacle. I am excited to see Zion square off against Barrett. Tons of celebrities, sold out venue, etc. I have a feeling that Zion is going to be more Blake than LeBron and people will be unfairly disappointed.

PS - hoping to see Jalen get some good run alongside Zion. I foresee an alley or two from this combo. Edit: hopefully he can get a single minute.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Summer League delayed by earthquake. 7.1 Magnitude around L.A they are saying? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
They are now saying the tremors were less from the quake and more form the 4-18 performance form Barrett.

Knicks fans should be excited!;)

All my Knicks fans I talked to were excited about him. Id cite his college sitting percentages. Dude at a.c. restaurant last night called him James Harden without the shot. In said 1 he didn't have his handles. And 2. Jake's Harden without a shot isn't that good. Temper your expectations. He said I was too critical.

Rj didn't look good at anything. I'm hoping he was star struck and nervous or something. He had no floor presence. Reminded me a lot of Frank tnilikina. He has ALOT of work to do to compete in the NBA.

Knox other than being bullied by Zion looked a lot better out there. I'm hoping he has been working on his game and this won't just be a summer league performance.

Reaction Score
All my Knicks fans I talked to were excited about him. Id cite his college sitting percentages. Dude at a.c. restaurant last night called him James Harden without the shot. In said 1 he didn't have his handles. And 2. Jake's Harden without a shot isn't that good. Temper your expectations. He said I was too critical.

Rj didn't look good at anything. I'm hoping he was star struck and nervous or something. He had no floor presence. Reminded me a lot of Frank tnilikina. He has ALOT of work to do to compete in the NBA.

Knox other than being bullied by Zion looked a lot better out there. I'm hoping he has been working on his game and this won't just be a summer league performance.
James Harden early on in Oklahoma was much different than the James Harden you see in Houston. First pro game for Barrett. Chill out and give the kid some time.
Plus James Harden although great individually will probably never win a championship. His style of play does not allow for it.

Reaction Score
Barrett looked like the player he is--right now, anyway--last night. Nothing surprised me about his performance. He's a project, which I said was one of my biggest red flags for him: you shouldn't be a project at this point in your career when you've had all the developmental advantages he had growing up.

He can't shoot, his tunnel vision is a problem and he struggles getting to the rim and finishing around guys his size or bigger. One of the biggest misnomers all college season was that he's a great finisher. He's not. He throws up some wild prayers with regularity. He's going to get a lot of his points on cuts and hustle plays as a rookie. I don't think the Knicks used him as the PnR ball handler a single time in the first half; they at least gave him a few chances in the second half.

Reaction Score
James Harden early on in Oklahoma was much different than the James Harden you see in Houston. First pro game for Barrett. Chill out and give the kid some time.
Plus James Harden although great individually will probably never win a championship. His style of play does not allow for it.

Besides improving his skills and becoming a master of the game on offense, James Harden somehow became much more athletic in his mid-twenties than he was in college and early years in the nba. I always found that unique.

Reaction Score
They are now saying the tremors were less from the quake and more from the 4-18 performance from Barrett.

Knicks fans should be excited!;)
You got to see everything I've seen in Barrett since he stepped on the floor at Duke. He has no right, he has tunnel vision/doesn't look for teammates, can't shoot, and isn't an elite athlete. Other than that he's wonderful, lol.

Reaction Score
So all of last year’s final reports come in and say that the Celtics Tatum was one of the real problems in the team. Not just Kyrie Irving. That Tatum wanted the ball and stopped passing. So is it the rookie Tatum that we will see this year. You know the guy that learned team ball from Coach K or will it be sophomore Tatum that has learned to hog the ball.
Just seeing what the Celtics got out of Tatum this past year should make one worry.
Now Gordon Hayward was an all star two years ago. Nice player. But last year could not really play a lot of minutes because of his ankle nor could he play any real defense because that ankle won’t let him make sharp cuts. What will the Celtics get this year the Hayward of an all star capability or the guy that is a relic of what he once presented on the court?

Reaction Score
So all of last year’s final reports come in and say that the Celtics Tatum was one of the real problems in the team. Not just Kyrie Irving. That Tatum wanted the ball and stopped passing. So is it the rookie Tatum that we will see this year. You know the guy that learned team ball from Coach K or will it be sophomore Tatum that has learned to hog the ball.
Just seeing what the Celtics got out of Tatum this past year should make one worry.
Now Gordon Hayward was an all star two years ago. Nice player. But last year could not really play a lot of minutes because of his ankle nor could he play any real defense because that ankle won’t let him make sharp cuts. What will the Celtics get this year the Hayward of an all star capability or the guy that is a relic of what he once presented on the court?

Odd place to post this but okay..

Certainly a possibility Tatum was a problem. The whole going put to clubs on back to back nights was probably him along with a few of the other guys.

Kyrie is also a 27 yr old man. Tatum just turned 21. Not saying the behavior is inexcusable, just that he has more time to be influenced positively. Plus he makes about 20 million less a year, haha. Worth the risk at that price.

Tatum also was not the LEADER of the team like Kyrie professed to be. Kyrie's example led to bad locker room and selfish plays from a few guys on the team.

Now, if I we see another year of selfish iso long 2s from Tatum? Ditch him. Because he looked like hot garbage post all star break.

Hayward will be better. Looks to be in better shape already

Reaction Score

Well I’m good with wanting a much better Tatum both in the game itself an mentally. Wouldn’t have been afraid to see them trade him in a nice deal for more needs quite honestly.

The thing I giggle at in your reply is “.....learned team ball from Coach K..” LOL have you watched his one and dones close the last few years he’s hardly holding them back on their individual one on one games. You haven’t seen any freshman taken out in couple years for taking ill advised shots it’s basically NBA offense anyway. Team game is score as many times down the court you can.

Reaction Score

Certainly a possibility Tatum was a problem. The whole going put to clubs on back to back nights was probably him along with a few of the other guys.

Kyrie is also a 27 yr old man. Tatum just turned 21. Not saying the behavior is inexcusable, just that he has more time to be influenced positively. Plus he makes about 20 million less a year, haha. Worth the risk at that price.

Tatum also was not the LEADER of the team like Kyrie professed to be. Kyrie's example led to bad locker room and selfish plays from a few guys on the team.

Now, if I we see another year of selfish iso long 2s from Tatum? Ditch him. Because he looked like hot garbage post all star break.

My point was you judge Barrett on one game.
I’m judging these two Celtics on an entire year’s work.
It is similar to Giannis. Most analysts never expected him to become what he has accomplished so far. Too early to judge RJ. But if you want to laff at the Knicks go ahead.
Seems like the Lakers and the Lnicks aren’t what they use to be.

Reaction Score
My point was you judge Barrett on one game.
I’m judging these two Celtics on an entire year’s work.
It is similar to Giannis. Most analysts never expected him to become what he has accomplished so far. Too early to judge RJ. But if you want to laff at the Knicks go ahead.
Seems like the Lakers and the Lnicks aren’t what they use to be.

Didn't even realize that was in reference to barrett. Must be someone I have on ignore.

Reaction Score

Hayward May be in better shape. Still will depend on that ankle as far as real cuts and turns. Not on offense where he knows where he wants to go, but in defense.
His ankle is like Durant’s Achilles. No one can be sure what they will have in the long run. Not until they are on the floor.

Reaction Score
Hayward May be in better shape. Still will depend on that ankle as far as real cuts and turns. Not on offense where he knows where he wants to go, but in defense.
His ankle is like Durant’s Achilles. No one can be sure what they will have in the long run. Not until they are on the floor.

Yes? Your tone is contentious but you're not actually arguing anything that isn't obvious.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hayward will be much better just playing with Kemba. The criticism of Tatum is fair. Brown was all in and so was Hayward in terms of running Stevens’ offense. That hurt Hayward’s production as he passed to guys who chose not to run the offense and get the ball back to him.

I think Tatum will get or already got “the talk”. If he wants to be what he can be, he needs to improve his outside shooting and play team basketball. He needs to put forth the effort on the defensive end as well. He’s got the talent to be a star, if he wants it and is willing to do what is needed.

As for the summer league, Carson Edwards put up 20 with good efficiency. Rob Williams had decent numbers including 9 boards. Jason Williams is looking like a very smart pick after all. Just a very savvy player and good passer at the PF spot.

Reaction Score
Yes? Your tone is contentious but you're not actually arguing anything that isn't obvious.
Ok...thanks for the observation. Not contentious at all. But if you feel that way, your call.
Stating the obvious about for the many that don’t see.

Reaction Score
Swim Cash and JA. Might be formula to help JA advance to the pro team and if not, then hopefully the G league.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tatum will be a different player as he adjusts to a team without Kyrie. Kyrie has been a questionable personality in every team he payed on starting with Duke (I know it was limited but he was caustic in the locker room - according to several sources)
Barrett has played, what 2-3 summer games???????????? Let's be real about it. Remember - he started slow at Duke also

Reaction Score
RJ Barrett has mega bust written all over him, no shot, no handle, no instincts, no game.

On the other hand the Knicks seem to have found another second round gem. Iggy ball is about to take over NYC. IgSanity!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom