OT : Stupid things you're stupid at

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Mano, Oct 29, 2016.

1. zyron

zyron

Does your wife cut your food for you now?

uconnfan68 and intlzncster like this.
  2. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

When you can get yourself 7+ stitches from a box cutter, you know you've got something special.

3. Northbound

Northbound

Gross/net, capex/opex, sports odds,

temery likes this.
  4. 80shusky

80shusky

I have been pronouncing the word supposedly wrong my entire life. And I know it. I always pronounce it "supposobly". My parents are both English majors and my father is a writer. But I still can't pronounce it correctly. I even know it when I say it and it pisses me off. But it is stupid, and I'm stupid at it. Luckily, when I am making presentations I usually catch myself before I say it, and pronounce it correctly. All the other times, "supposobly". Doh!

5. Huskybass

Huskybass

I am an excellent bass fisherman. I really am, and humble too.

I SUCKED at wood shop and metal shop in junior high school. Sucked as in would have failed both if I hadn't befriended the kids it came natural to and had them help me. Total stunod in the shop.

I also really suck at getting back on a ladder to go down. Going up is no problem but getting back on the ladder is hell for me. That split second of uncertainty is my most uncomfortable feeling.

bobbygt, temery, RichZ and 6 others like this.
  6. 80shusky

80shusky

I painted houses during summers in college and always hated getting back on the ladder from a roof. You just feel like you are going to fall off.

7. Devland

Devland

I have a theory that every person has a word that they can't pronounce correctly. Mine happens to be the word aluminum. As a retired engineer I have been in meetings where I have had to use the word and I would tense up when I knew it was coming up. So we use tin foil in our house.

8. 80shusky

80shusky

You might be right about that. When I was in Ireland many years ago fishing a local told me to go up to the bend where the aluminum plant was. He pronounced it ah-loo-mineum. I'm sure he pronounced it correctly for an Irish person but it always stuck with me. So, if that is the way you pronounce it, you can always say you are Irish!

9. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Or English, Australian, Kiwi, South African....

Although, some pronounce it like: al-you-mineum

80shusky likes this.
  10. Devland

Devland

That's not the way I pronounce it but I have heard that pronunciation. I know how it's supposed to sound. It just never comes out correctly. It's a mental block thing.

11. 80shusky

80shusky

Cool. Didn't realize that for some reason. The word doesn't come up in regular conversation all that much I guess.

12. August_West

August_West Arby's is probably better than what you eat

I can point that out to our shared boss. Might light a fire under you.

uconnfan68 likes this.
  13. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

I'm also awful at going to play golf and making it a 5 hour day rather than a 10 hour day. That damn 19th hole, she'll just never understand I guess.

Oh well 10:12 tee time today with 16 guys, don't worry about dinner my love.;)

uconnfan68 and Kitaman like this.
  14. Leebo

Leebo

I played golf in Japan for the first time today... Tee time was 8:05. Got off the 18th hole at 3:30. They do break the two nines into two separate tee times with a dedicated lunch break in between, but that was still ridiculous.

15. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

That's not golf I'm afraid. I played at Great Neck in New London in a proAm 2 weeks ago on a Thursday and it took 5 hours and 45 minutes and that makes me want to stop playing because that's WAY too long for golf. Takes away drinking time #1....but 7 hours and 25 minutes? I would not have been on the course after 9 in that case. I can't yell at people that long.

tomtom80 likes this.
  16. willie99

willie99

this my strength in life, not sure that's a good thing though

17. willie99

willie99

listening to my wife of 32 years, seems like everything she says goes into my spam box

having patience with our football coaches

respecting career politicians

losing weight

18. HskysNvrSlp

HskysNvrSlp fespn

Ireland and most of the world(apart from the U.S. and Canada) spell it aluminium but both variations are recognized by the IUPAC.

Im stupid at words and speaking. Conversing, message boards, small talk- I get anxious and constantly second guess myself. Creative writing has never been a problem but social interactions are difficult.

19. Deepster

Deepster

Youre not really trying. I used to be the same way and finally had a boss pull me aside about it. He asked me if I'd be late for a meeting with the CEO. Naturally, I said no. He said that, at some point between him and the CEO, I decide the person isn't important enough and I don't care. Made me look at it differently and made me not like when people show up to my meetings late.

You just have decided you don't care enough, Dove.

polycom likes this.
  20. Dream Jobbed 2.0

Dream Jobbed 2.0 Formerly DiacosArmy

Getting the garbage bag to stay up in the can.

OkaForPrez and 8893 like this.
  21. RoderickSpode

RoderickSpode 7th Earl of Sidcup

Yo-yos. I could not get that damn hunk of plastic to come back to me if my life depended on it.

8893 likes this.
  22. Mano

Mano Certified Bonehead

[​IMG]

UConn Dan and mauconnfan like this.
  23. WhereistheDove?

WhereistheDove?

It gives me a certain level of extra comfort to do it myself. Never underestimate the potential stupidity/laziness of someone who works at a pep boys/jiffy lube type place. My car also happens to have a top mountes filter and a drain valve which means I can change the oil with about 1 minute of actual effort and zero mess. The bottom mounted filters make things a bit messier.

CTMike and intlzncster like this.
  24. Dream Jobbed 2.0

Dream Jobbed 2.0 Formerly DiacosArmy

I got my oil changed at Economy a few weeks ago. On the way home I was getting an awful sound when I went over bumps. When I got home I was I surprised to find they only half way put the splash guard back on. Kinda makes me wonder what else they screw up.

CTMike and Horatio like this.
  25. WhereistheDove?

WhereistheDove?

I have too many mechanic friends that have told me too many stories about the morons they've worked with. Almost all of those stories are centered around their time at big chains. My favorite was an AWD car that came in for an oil change, where they drained the front diff and then overfilled the engine oil. Needless to say, completely destroyed the diff. Also one where they drained the engine oil and then forgot to fill the oil back up. The good mechanics are generally not working at those type places.

Kitaman and Horatio like this.