OT: - Steak Thread Reopened | The Boneyard

OT: Steak Thread Reopened

Reaction Score
For some reason closed down. Anyway I wanted to second what has been said about sous vide especially for all of you medium rare people. There is one on Amazon for $ 96 called precision cooker. I have the Anova given as a holiday gift. what they do is temp control and water circulation in one of your own pots, they clip to the side. The steak is in a freezer bag open at the top and clipped to the top edge of the pot. Nothing could be easier. You can marinate in the bag or season before you throw the steak on the grill. I bought dirt cheap London Broil for $2.50 a pound, marinated it with Montreal seasoning and Soy Vey Terriyaki, did 6 hours about 130 degrees, then 3 minutes per side very hot grill. It's even great cold as a steak sandwich. Serve it to guests who will think you spent $20 a pound. Of course if you do a ribeye or cap ribeye we are talking heaven.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For some reason closed down. Anyway I wanted to second what has been said about sous vide especially for all of you medium rare people. There is one on Amazon for $ 96 called precision cooker. I have the Anova given as a holiday gift. what they do is temp control and water circulation in one of your own pots, they clip to the side. The steak is in a freezer bag open at the top and clipped to the top edge of the pot. Nothing could be easier. You can marinate in the bag or season before you throw the steak on the grill. I bought dirt cheap London Broil for $2.50 a pound, marinated it with Montreal seasoning and Soy Vey Terriyaki, did 6 hours about 130 degrees, then 3 minutes per side very hot grill. It's even great cold as a steak sandwich. Serve it to guests who will think you spent $20 a pound. Of course if you do a ribeye or cap ribeye we are talking heaven.
Do they have one that will allow me to cook a whole cow sous vide once @MadDogRevival slaughters it for me?

Reaction Score
Have to try that.

I got a dry aging kit last Christmas. Bought some strips from BJs. Honestly, nothing special. Not sure I got the best seal or such.

I guy I work with does it religiously and raves about how good it vs. just regular steak. And he buys generic Costco steaks.

Reaction Score
2in ribeye, slow cooked and then reverse seared on the komado in a cast iron skillet w/ bacon grease some garlic and rosemary.

Quit being a puta with those filets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is supposed to be the Holy Grail for sous vide meats. I am still waiting to try it. I have done sous vide brisket from 12-36 hours several times, finishing in the oven to get the charred exterior. Brisket cuts vary dramatically so sometimes the dish is solid and sometimes it is amazing. I know I want the point cut but I haven't figured out the best meat/fat ratio to get the optimal product.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I really wish I knew about this thing when I was able to eat steak whenever I wanted.

Reaction Score
I really wish I knew about this thing when I was able to eat steak whenever I wanted.

Just curious, is this limitation on steak due to your cholesterol? Seems to me that carbs are the problem. Grass fed meat in large quantities and low carbs seem to be great for my cholesterol.

My problem is that I absolutely love meat but eating low carb is a major challenge for me since good bread with butter is probably my favorite food and I love pizza etc. I can eat really high protein but I still end up slipping in too many carbs to maintain the low carb benefits of fat burning and lower cholesterol. I have to stay low calorie but eat a wide range of foods for sanity sake.

However, the best cholesterol readings I've had were obtained by eating a low carb, high protein/fat diet. Lots of olive oil, grass fed butter, steak, chicken, fish and vegetables. The acceleration for even lower readings was enhanced by exercise. At times I worked out and for other periods I took a 20-30 minute brisk walk. Regardless, that reduced my readings even more. I realize everyone is different.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
So I have to confess, I had never heard of sous vide before this thread and now has me totally intrigued. For those that have one do they recommend one over another? I see amazon features one for like $89 bucks but why is that so much less than the Anova one? The wifi option sounds convenient as you can start when away from home but is that the only difference? Thanks in advance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I have to confess, I had never heard of sous vide before this thread and now has me totally intrigued. For those that have one do they recommend one over another? I see amazon features one for like $89 bucks but why is that so much less than the Anova one? The wifi option sounds convenient as you can start when away from home but is that the only difference? Thanks in advance.
Take a look a this.

My hesitancy is I don't want to find a place for another machine but this thread makes it tempting.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Cholesterol isn't too bad. Chronic Kidney Disease diet.

Just curious, is this limitation on steak due to your cholesterol? Seems to me that carbs are the problem. Grass fed meat in large quantities and low carbs seem to be great for my cholesterol.

My problem is that I absolutely love meat but eating low carb is a major challenge for me since good bread with butter is probably my favorite food and I love pizza etc. I can eat really high protein but I still end up slipping in too many carbs to maintain the low carb benefits of fat burning and lower cholesterol. I have to stay low calorie but eat a wide range of foods for sanity sake.

However, the best cholesterol readings I've had were obtained by eating a low carb, high protein/fat diet. Lots of olive oil, grass fed butter, steak, chicken, fish and vegetables. The acceleration for even lower readings was enhanced by exercise. At times I worked out and for other periods I took a 20-30 minute brisk walk. Regardless, that reduced my readings even more. I realize everyone is different.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So what do you do just fill a pot stick this thing in along with the meal and come back in a day or two?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can ziplock bags work, or does it have to be a vacuumed freezer bag?

Reaction Score
Take a look a this.

My hesitancy is I don't want to find a place for another machine but this thread makes it tempting.
This is half the price, has a cover and seems fine, although I can't testify on the quality. These are basically temperature controlled water baths.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom