OT: Starting to use Reddit | The Boneyard

OT: Starting to use Reddit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Anyone know any good sub-reddits that I should start to follow? Anything sports related, funny, or something you'd recommend.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
/r/nba, /r/AskReddit , /r/politics (Currently a Bernie Sanders circle jerk) , /r/WTF (Not for the weak stomach)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anyone know any good sub-reddits that I should start to follow? Anything sports related, funny, or something you'd recommend.

r/funny? lol

Lot of good stuff and a lot of dumb stuff on reddit these days. You kind of have to mine for the gold now. It used to be that comments were voted on based on quality/depth/relevance of contribution, but now it's more a popularity of opinion contest. Turns out wisdom of the crowd is not so wise. And no, this is not a "things were so much better in my day" post. Reddit has just evolved into something else over the years.

Best thing to do is figure out what kind of stuff you like, then google the most appropriate type of subforum. People collect lists of relevant stuff. eg This sort of thing. Or if you are looking to buy quality products, subscribe to r/buyitforlife etc.

Definitely don't subscribe to r/all after you get an idea of what you want. You'll have to filter through so much crap to get what you want.

Reaction Score
/r/collegebasketball It's actually kind of civilized.
/r/fantasyfootball amazing resource
/r/BIFL Buy it for Life

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
polycom said:
/r/nba, /r/AskReddit , /r/politics (Currently a Bernie Sanders circle jerk) , /r/WTF (Not for the weak stomach)

Beat me to it!!

Great sub

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Stay away from the defaults, full of racists and other generally terrible people. Most sports subs (r/cfb, r/collegebasketball, r/nba) are great. r/askscience and r/futurewhatif are two of my favorite non-sport subs.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
/r/TalesFromTechSupport - Hilarious and/or infuriating stories from people who work in tech support.

Generally speaking, the front page gets a bad reputation because there are a lot of reposts and other crap that bring it down. But you should probably browse it for a while until you start to realize that stuff for yourself. Once you start to realize a lot of things are reposts on your own, you've officially graduated to experience reddit user and should have a good handle on which subs you want and which ones you never want to go to.

edit: Pretty much any tv show you watch will have it's own sub (/r/breakingbad, /r/doctorwho, etc.)

Reaction Score
Be prepared to see stuff that you would never have seen otherwise...both good and bad....

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Stay away from r/politics. Go to r/news and r/world news.

You'll find out some are heavily censored when certain topics come up.

But r/sports, r/collegebasketball, r/videos, r/funny, r/animalsbeingjerks r/animalsbeingbros, r/libertarian, r/technology, r/adviceanimals, r/gifs, r/pics, r/YouShouldKnow

intlzncster

Reaction Score
/r/collegebasketball It's actually kind of civilized.
/r/fantasyfootball amazing resource
/r/BIFL Buy it for Life

Haahaha. Funny that this one is mentioned twice. Great sub.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Generally speaking, the front page gets a bad reputation because there are a lot of reposts and other crap that bring it down. But you should probably browse it for a while until you start to realize that stuff for yourself. Once you start to realize a lot of things are reposts on your own, you've officially graduated to experience reddit user and should have a good handle on which subs you want and which ones you never want to go to.

Second this. It's what I tried to say, but this is way better put.

Reaction Score
dont go to reddit you will lose all sense of time and will miss out on many meals

Reaction Score
R/nba is IMO the best NBA community online.

I watched a very high quality version of Trainwreck last night on r/BestOfStreamingVideo.

Use redditlist.com to check out the top 5,000 subs ranked on popularity, recent activity, and 24 hr growth to find interesting subreddits. It also ranks the top nsfw subs, if that is something that interests you. Some great, some disturbing.

Reaction Score
The basketball subs are a little nauseating because it's still primarily teenagers and early 20 y/o's posting on there. It's a good place to find stats and articles but the actual discussions are brutal. The whole "downvoting" system is counter-intuitive to debates, you'll get downvoted into oblivion if you post something A) against a popular belief B) negative, even if it's true C) praising the past vs today.

Reaction Score
Unsubscribe from pretty much all of the "default" subreddits. Thank me later. Only keep the ones that interest you, but the more vague (Politics, funny, etc.) the higher likelihood of it being awful. The learning ones (Ask"X", ExplainLikeIm5, todayIlearned) are generally an exception. I'm partial to dataisbeautiful, too.

Otherwise, just focus on your niche interests, for me those include:
/r/CollegeBasketball for obvious reasons.
Mysteries/things people follow closely week-to-week have great subreddits (SerialPodcast, TrueDetective, etc.)
/r/fantasyfootball
/r/NBA
/r/beer
/r/gameofthrones or /r/asoiaf

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I used to go to r/politics until it became r/democrat and on republicans (I'm not with either party). I went there to get different types of news from both sides but only got one. That's why I go to r/news and r/worldnews even though they get censored at times

mets1090

Reaction Score
I used to go to r/politics until it became r/democrat and on republicans (I'm not with either party). I went there to get different types of news from both sides but only got one. That's why I go to r/news and r/worldnews even though they get censored at times
This is pretty accurate but almost all of reddit is full of Democrats. I don't mean that in a negative way, just statement of fact. The demographics site wide skew pretty young so you get tons of college kids who just tend to be more liberal than the general population. So what ends up happening is you're either conservative and they'll crap all over you or your liberal and it's a big circle jerk.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
This is pretty accurate but almost all of reddit is full of Democrats. I don't mean that in a negative way, just statement of fact. The demographics site wide skew pretty young so you get tons of college kids who just tend to be more liberal than the general population. So what ends up happening is you're either conservative and they'll crap all over you or your liberal and it's a big circle jerk.
I'd say reddit is more libertarian, leaning more towards "bro-gressive".

mets1090

Reaction Score
If you're a nerd and like reading you can frequent /r/WritingPrompts and /r/NoSleep. Both are default subs so you'd see them regardless but it's a good idea to go straight to them. For /r/NoSleep I would recommend just sorting by top all time and sampling some of the more well known stories. You could also go straight to some of the "reddit famous" authors like /u/The_Dalek_Emperor, /u/inaaace, and /u/1000Vultures to name a few.

If you can appreciate rhymes/poetry look up /u/poem_for_your_sprog (possibly the most "reddit famous" person right now). Very clever, on topic/spur of the moment poems. Most are hilarious, some are touching, all are great.

btw I spend a lot of time on reddit lol :/

intlzncster

Reaction Score
r/bestof can be good to. Shows the 'best' recent comments.

Also, get a good reddit reader app for your phone. Will make you much happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom