OT: Sports in Your Nation's Capital | The Boneyard

OT: Sports in Your Nation's Capital

Reaction Score
I live in the midst of our nation's capital, and there's rarely a dull moment.

We'll skip over politics; it's verboten here (thank goodness).

But our sports scene has been pretty exciting in itself. It has been reported that the most dangerous place in DC is the space between a politician and a camera. This axiom has been challenged this football season by the space between a Redskin's QB and the opponents' defensive line. So far we've had two snapped balls followed by two snapped legs. For a time Washington subbed in the agile 56-year old Mark Sanchez, who had a harrowing time of it and has disappeared. The 'Skins are talking about bringing back Joe Namath, currently selling Medicare insurance on TV. Joe has “guaranteed” that he can resurrect the team's fortunes. The 70-something former pantyhose model has, however, some skeptics. There was also a brief twitch regarding the Reluctant Retiree (CK), which faded almost faster than Sanchez. Looks like another stinker for the uniformly reviled Dan Snyder.

On the wcbb side of things, Brenda has built an unbeaten record against every junior college program in the state of Maryland. She is bringing the Terrapins' style of play to an adoring local audience.

We also have a professional baseball team here. Fans are applying sponges to their eyes, as home-grown Bryce Harper is about to leave in his walk year. The 26-year old is concerned about providing for his family on only the $30,000,000 a year (for 10 years) offered by the Nationals. His hair grooming consumes most of his current earnings. Now he is focusing on feeding and dressing his wife and children. It appears the Dodgers, having sold or traded their entire team, have the best shot at acquiring young Bryce.

Closing on another OT subject, George Will has calculated that the only way to end a politician's presidential ambitions is with embalming fluid.

Happy Holiday to all and Go, Huskies!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Harper’s gonna fleece whoever signs him. $300 million for ten years will be the equivalent of $60 million a year for someone playing 140-150 games a year. I love watching him play, but it seems he’s seldom at 100%. Same with Strasburg.

Reaction Score
Harper’s gonna fleece whoever signs him. $300 million for ten years will be the equivalent of $60 million a year for someone playing 140-150 games a year. I love watching him play, but it seems he’s seldom at 100%. Same with Strasburg.

Add Zimmerman to that list. Ryan may make more than anyone in baseball for the number of days he actually plays. For most of last year, Bryce hit about .230. Good luck, LA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Strange math

I assume that was directed at my post. Harper won't be any more durable in his 30's than he's been in his 20's. I don't think he'll play (or at least be effective) more than half the time. So he'll make twice as much per game as if he played full-time. I won't be the least surprised if some GM signs him to a ten-year contract, though.

Reaction Score
Still only 26 so not old and nothing wrong with playing 150 games a year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom