OT- Sports Illustrated Piece On Houston’s Corey Davis Jr | The Boneyard

OT- Sports Illustrated Piece On Houston’s Corey Davis Jr

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nice read. Definitely cheering for the Coogs tonight and I’ve always liked Davis:

Davis learned the game from his “pawpaw” out in the yard, starting when he was two, shooting using a crumpled ball of aluminum foil at first. When he was seven, Alfred illegally entered him into a nine- and 10-year-old free-throw shooting competition, and Corey made all 15 of his free throws to win it. And he’s the impetus behind the local bitty basketball league overhauling its rulebook to require a player to pass the ball a certain number of times before shooting (“because any time he shot,” says grandma Patricia, “bomb!”). He’s still making bombs, this time on the national stage in college basketball’s most important month. He’s blistered through March. Davis scored a career-high 31 points in a win over Cincinnati that secured the Cougars’ AAC regular season championship, hasn’t missed a free throw in three weeks (17 for his last 17) and has sank 29 treys in the last eight games. “He’s playing so loose,” mom Trailer says. “I’m just watching him and I’m amazed. I’ve been watching since [he was] six and I’m still seeing things I’ve never seen.”

The Dalcourts rented a van to pile family members into for the 14-hour drive to Kansas City, where their hero and his Houston teammates will put the nation’s best record on the line against Kentucky to cap off Friday's Sweet 16 action. Davis has the second-best free throw-percentage (87.3) and has made the fourth-most threes (110) of any player left in the tournament entering Friday, just behind his teammate, junior Armoni Brooks (115). But it is Davis who is the 2019 version of Hollis Price or Corey Brewer, sharp-shooting guards that led Sampson’s best Oklahoma teams, with Price lifting the Sooners to the Final Four in 2002. “Our teams have always been built like that,” says Kellen Sampson, Kelvin’s son and an assistant at Houston. “The hamster on the wheel that moves it is a dynamic guard who goes off the bounce and makes plays and distributes to others. Corey’s done that for us all year.”

The making of Corey Davis Jr., Houston's heartbeat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom