OT (sort of): Athletes and the role of autographs | The Boneyard

OT (sort of): Athletes and the role of autographs

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
This is a link to an article on Danica Patrick and the challenges she sometimes faces for her decision to not sign fans' autographs:

Danica Patrick Responds to Booing Fans: 'I'm a Person, Too. I Have Feelings.'

Occasionally on this forum, we have threads about the culture of UConn's WCBB program as it pertains to how our players and staff present themselves to the public, and how uniformly courteous they are to their fans.

I can't speak to what kind of life Patrick has - I have to imagine being a woman in a field so heavily dominated by men has to carry some extra burdens, and being a professional athlete is hard enough as is. But I find her statement that her job is to drive cars and not sign autographs to be disappointing. Maybe if I were in her shoes I'd feel different.

But certainly on face value seems to be an opposing culture to what UConn's staff strives for.

Reaction Score
Patrick has every right not to not sign autographs because she is too busy; in a bad mood, or any other reason. With that being said, fans that spend their hard earned money to attend races also have every right to "boo" and voice their opinion if they feel slighted.

Reaction Score
Patrick has every right not to not sign autographs because she is too busy; in a bad mood, or any other reason. With that being said, fans that spend their hard earned money to attend races also have every right to "boo" and voice their opinion if they feel slighted.

Women'NAS Car drivers, WNBA or WCBB are entertainment---pure and simple---Geno many times has equated WCBB with shows--he called it entertainment--it is. If a Broadway (NY) actor refused to sign autographs--he/she would probably be boo-ed too. Unfortunately it is and expectation of Fans--Fans of movie, broadway, rock, etc STARS and that include WCBB.and NASCAR
On the surface --she has a right to refuse to sign autograph and feel bad from the booing---it's like your right to free speech--you can say what you want--but keep your eye on the fist of the guy you're saying it to. Ever thing you do has consequences --if you can handle the end game--then do your own thing--or go with the flow.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Luckily for fans and the sports they follow, most athletes happily sign. But I respect the right of those who do not. Don't recall if I always felt this way, but do recall a situation that got me thinking about it and appreciating the right of celebrities to define their personal space. It was many years ago at a horse show in upper Westchester County. We were strolling the grounds as a family as many horses were in a working ring warming up. I spied Paul Newman and a couple of other men chatting and watching activity in the ring. I pointed him out to my girls and one said she wanted to go say hello and ask for an autograph. She did, but came back empty handed, and said Paul had politely told her he does not give autographs. I was surprised, but considering it I had to conclude that was his right. He owned the public nothing but his work.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I realize not all share this view, but, I've never understood the appeal or desire for autographs. I think it was Bill Russell who, when asked, "no, I do not sign autographs, but, I will shake your hand". I kinda like that.
I remember Candace Parker after a game at Tennessee. She signed autographs until everyone had gotten one.
Bless her heart, of course she did.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I realize not all share this view, but, I've never understood the appeal or desire for autographs. I think it was Bill Russell who, when asked, "no, I do not sign autographs, but, I will shake your hand". I kinda like that.

I got a couple autographs when I was a kid. But since then I really don't see the big deal with getting someone's signature. So what? They wrote on a piece of paper??? Half of them you probably can't read anyway.

I certainly don't mind meeting people, shaking their hand, maybe getting a picture together. But only if it doesn't interfere with them too much. I'd rather just run into them somewhere out of the way and have a nice conversation.

Personally, I don't sign autographs either. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think Danaca should change her name to Danica Boog Patrick. That way, when the crowd boos she could think of it as a sign of appreciation and respect. ;)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I personally am not interested in seeking autographs.

When I drove cab in Boston many years ago, I occasionally had well known persons as fares: Dave Cowens and Arthur Fiedler come to mind. Never occurred to me to do more than take them to their destinations. And I've never been tempted to bid on autographed baseballs or footballs at charity events.

On the other hand, I do value having books signed by the authors.

Reaction Score
I have a section of my house that my friends call "The Museum" where I have autographed photos and memorabilia from MLB and WCBB, especially UCONN WBB and framed WBB posters gathered through the years & many NY Yankees players, plus photos of teams I coached for 32 years! My friends can't wait till I kick the bucket to see who will inherit it all!
I figured out an almost sure-fire way to get the autographed stuff back. I send a stamped self-addressed mailer inside with the photo and all they have to do is sign it and put it in the mailer and post it for mailing!
I have favorite players and coaches from WBB and the best story is several years ago I sent Harry Perretta a photo I took of him coaching at the Big East in Hartford in March and didn't get any response till Sept. when I got a huge package from Villanova & Harry P. The note inside said, " Sorry Rick this is so late getting back to you as I had it buried in a pile of coaching stuff on my desk and finally decided to clean it up, finding your mailer!" If my wife didn't lay out my clothes for the next day I couldn't get dressed. I include a Villanova WBB media guide, and other assorted Villanova WBB things plus the photo autographed! Please forgive my forgetfulness, Harry Perretta!"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have a section of my house that my friends call "The Museum" where I have autographed photos and memorabilia from MLB and WCBB, especially UConn WBB and framed WBB posters gathered through the years & many NY Yankees players, plus photos of teams I coached for 32 years! My friends can't wait till I kick the bucket to see who will inherit it all!
I figured out an almost sure-fire way to get the autographed stuff back. I send a stamped self-addressed mailer inside with the photo and all they have to do is sign it and put it in the mailer and post it for mailing!
I have favorite players and coaches from WBB and the best story is several years ago I sent Harry Perretta a photo I took of him coaching at the Big East in Hartford in March and didn't get any response till Sept. when I got a huge package from Villanova & Harry P. The note inside said, " Sorry Rick this is so late getting back to you as I had it buried in a pile of coaching stuff on my desk and finally decided to clean it up, finding your mailer!" If my wife didn't lay out my clothes for the next day I couldn't get dressed. I include a Villanova WBB media guide, and other assorted Villanova WBB things plus the photo autographed! Please forgive my forgetfulness, Harry Perretta!"
Met Harry a few years ago at the Geno Roast. Very nice guy. We talked about 10 minutes. Turns out he lived near the area where my ex in-laws had lived. We knew some of the same restaurants/deli's.

Didn't get his autograph though.

Reaction Score
Took my 4h girls to Monmouth Park for the Haskell a few years back , Stewert Elliott on Smarty Jones , in the post parade the kid saw him and shouted for his autograph, he looked at them went right by to sign a few programs for a couple of hot blondes instead.I said something to him , he turned and spit on the ground and away he went.What a jerk!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I completely understand an athlete or a celebrity not desiring to sign autographs. I don't see it as a big deal but a lot of people do.

I've collected seversl autographs over the years - mostly NY Yankees and a few Atlanta Braves. However, the best one we have came from my mother-in-law. On a program back cover, she got Glenn Miller's autograph! For a professional musician and big band lover, its a prized possession. And it is safely stored in a sealed bag in our safe deposit box.

Reaction Score
Took my 4h girls to Monmouth Park for the Haskell a few years back , Stewert Elliott on Smarty Jones , in the post parade the kid saw him and shouted for his autograph, he looked at them went right by to sign a few programs for a couple of hot blondes instead.I said something to him , he turned and spit on the ground and away he went.What a jerk!!!
I know Smarty Jones but don't know who Stewert Elliott is.
Is he another male horse? ................LOL

Reaction Score
Luckily for fans and the sports they follow, most athletes happily sign. But I respect the right of those who do not. Don't recall if I always felt this way, but do recall a situation that got me thinking about it and appreciating the right of celebrities to define their personal space. It was many years ago at a horse show in upper Westchester County. We were strolling the grounds as a family as many horses were in a working ring warming up. I spied Paul Newman and a couple of other men chatting and watching activity in the ring. I pointed him out to my girls and one said she wanted to go say hello and ask for an autograph. She did, but came back empty handed, and said Paul had politely told her he does not give autographs. I was surprised, but considering it I had to conclude that was his right. He owned the public nothing but his work.

I don't seek autographs---one time at gample ( went thru the line to meet Swin, Sue, etc and met them on return from an NC at Bradley just to shake hands and say thank you-- I have no reason not to seek them --mostly I don't like crowds or lines--Uncle took me out of standing in lines.
I'm conflicted on a stars rights to not autograph ---everyone has the right to privacy--I would hope--but stars have an obligation to the Job---and the industry--and their career--don't sign, but the fans don't have to pay to see you either.
Uncle Miltie in a joke shope in NY, me in the Navy, he ran me down to the ground getting in the little joint and said --out of the way sailor--I never forgot it and never watched his TV shows either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the style of asking for an autograph is a huge reason for getting one or not!
1. For example, never go to that person at a restaurant during their meal! You'd be surprised how many people do this!
2. Be polite, not pushy, their time is as important as yours!
3. Use my method of mailing mentioned above, when they can sign at their leisure, most athletes set aside time to go through their mail! Don't expect them to get a stamp and envelope to mail it back!
4. Go to scheduled autograph sessions such as at the WCBB Final 4 on the Friday or Saturday practices before the semi's!
5. UCONN WBB players will usually sign in most situations as Chris Daily demands good fan relations!

Reaction Score
I think the style of asking for an autograph is a huge reason for getting one or not!
1. For example, never go to that person at a restaurant during their meal! You'd be surprised how many people do this!
2. Be polite, not pushy, their time is as important as yours!
3. Use my method of mailing mentioned above, when they can sign at their leisure, most athletes set aside time to go through their mail! Don't expect them to get a stamp and envelope to mail it back!
4. Go to scheduled autograph sessions such as at the WCBB Final 4 on the Friday or Saturday practices before the semi's!
5. UConn WBB players will usually sign in most situations as Chris Daily demands good fan relations!
Or, as mentioned above, be blonde and hot

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not an autograph hound either. I have purchased autographed things for charity (WBB related), had Vivian sign a copy of her book (and someone else asked her to send us a signed photo), have collected autographs at Final Four event and WBB HOF induction and purchased an autographed photo of the Yankee Perfect Game batteries taken on the closing day of the old stadium.

Don't approach folks and ask for autographs. They are entitled to their space. Had to break that rule once, but not for myself - someone from the RU fan-club wanted a ball signed by the US squad that Cappie was on (not National Team, maybe World University?). We went to their practice, the other fan couldn't, so we asked Cappie to have the ball autographed by the team which she did. The fan club later auctioned it at a fundraiser.

Reaction Score
The only autograph I ever got was when I was seven or eight years old and got the
autograph of Johnny Lujak ( QB at ND - won the Heisman in '47 or '48). I kept it
for about three days and then threw it away.

But what I have kept, for nearly 70 years now, is my memory of his kindness to a little kid.

Reaction Score

The problem is that everyone wants an autograph at any time. In the mall, at Chucks, Willington Pizza, in Mohegan Sun and it never stops. They are having dinner and a 50 year old guy wants an autograph for his kids. He says thanks and then asks can we take a picture too. The. Someone else comes over. By the time you are done dinner is cold. They are kids. in college. Immediately after a WNBA game I can understand, but not 2-3 hours after the game has ended and they are eating a late dinner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom