OT: Solheim Cup coverage starts when??? | The Boneyard

OT: Solheim Cup coverage starts when???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://www.scoreboard.com/golf/lpga-tour/solheim-cup/

The link is to the scoreboard for the Solheim Cup in Germany...USA versus Europe.
The coverage by the Golf Channel starts at 2:00 a.m. our time Friday morning....goes till noon.

Yikes!

I think it is the same for Saturday morning and maybe around 6:00 a.m. till noon for the singles on Sunday. We lost over in Europe in 2011...got crushed in Colorado in 2013. Hopefully no threepeat this time round.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yup. Love this competition, but, don't think I'll be up at 2 am to catch the opening matches!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Going into Saturday Foursomes the US is getting their butts kicked, down to the EU 8-4. If it continues this way it will reinforce just how far US women's golf has fallen.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Note: the second round today is fourball....better ball. The foursomes [alternate shot] is done....USA lost that section 3-1.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Goes to show how much I know. The US women dominated in today's singles matches 8-3-1 to win the cup 14 1/2 to 13 1/2. It sounds as if all they needed was a little controversy to get them fired up.

Reaction Score
Going into Saturday Foursomes the US is getting their butts kicked, down to the EU 8-4. If it continues this way it will reinforce just how far US women's golf has fallen.

Happy to say that nothing is wrong with US women's golf. To come back from the biggest deficit ever in Solheim cup, on Euro's soil is awesome!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That "little controversy" was pretty shabby - her partner was in tears because she knew how cheap a "play" her partner had pulled off to steal a hole. Disgraceful. 'Course the whole "gimme" thing should not be in the game.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The Ryder Cup got 'big' when the Euros started to win....with some personal animosity
tossed in [e.g. Azinger/Seve]. Headed for Des Moines in 2017...the atmosphere should be electric.

I have actually played where the matches will be held.......Des Moines CC....very solid course.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment by Julie Inkster re the controversy: "I have never seen anything like that in my entire career". She has a short, or convenient memory, I guess. She was on the team back in 2000 when Pat Bradlee said Annika Sorenstam played out of turn, after making a birdie chip shot, and made her replay the shot, which she missed. Pettersen has apologized, which I don't think was necessary. Bradlee never apologized, nor should she have. She said golf is a game of rules, which I heartily agree with. Bradlee was not wrong, nor was Pettersen. The 2000 incident really increased the intensity, and it should be very interesting come 2017.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting comment by Julie Inkster re the controversy: "I have never seen anything like that in my entire career". She has a short, or convenient memory, I guess. She was on the team back in 2000 when Pat Bradlee said Annika Sorenstam played out of turn, after making a birdie chip shot, and made her replay the shot, which she missed. Pettersen has apologized, which I don't think was necessary. Bradlee never apologized, nor should she have. She said golf is a game of rules, which I heartily agree with. Bradlee was not wrong, nor was Pettersen. The 2000 incident really increased the intensity, and it should be very interesting come 2017.

It's sort of apples and oranges. It was the US side's option to make Sorenstam go back and hit it again and it was widely criticized at the time. Here, Pettersen rightly apologized for a chiseling afterthought maneuver that had her own team mate in tears over the unfairness of it. She and her team mate did not have their backs turned, walking off the green because they thought the American should putt out. It was a BS move and she said as much in her groveling apology.

Reaction Score
It's sort of apples and oranges. It was the US side's option to make Sorenstam go back and hit it again and it was widely criticized at the time. Here, Pettersen rightly apologized for a chiseling afterthought maneuver that had her own team mate in tears over the unfairness of it. She and her team mate did not have their backs turned, walking off the green because they thought the American should putt out. It was a BS move and she said as much in her groveling apology.

Absolutely correct on all counts. It was not at all comparable to the Bradley/Sorenstam situation. It is generally accepted that when the opponents walk off the green when their opponent is left with a gimme, then the putt is good. Cheap move by Petteren to say the least.

Reaction Score
Hardly apples and oranges. Sorenstam and Lee both made mistakes. In an important match play situation, you make sure you're away before you play, and you certainly never pick up your ball unless the putt is conceded. That's golf rules 101. Petterson and Hull walking off is irrelevant; the putt had not been conceded. Lee made a rookie mistake. I'm not really sure what else Petterson could have done, if you're going to abide by the rules of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct on all counts. It was not at all comparable to the Bradley/Sorenstam situation. It is generally accepted that when the opponents walk off the green when their opponent is left with a gimme, then the putt is good. Cheap move by Petteren to say the least.

One person's "gimme" is another person's "putt it!" Don't know how much golf you play, but walking off the green has nothing to do with concession. Quite common for players to walk off, and wait for the player to putt out. Certainly in a competition like the Solheim Cup you best make sure that the putt has been conceded. No excuse for Lee to have picked up. I think her partner , Lincicome, knew right away that Lee had made a mistake.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hardly apples and oranges. Sorenstam and Lee both made mistakes. In an important match play situation, you make sure you're away before you play, and you certainly never pick up your ball unless the putt is conceded. That's golf rules 101. Petterson and Hull walking off is irrelevant; the putt had not been conceded. Lee made a rookie mistake. I'm not really sure what else Petterson could have done, if you're going to abide by the rules of the game.

We can agree to disagree. But, Petterson did apologize and said she made the mistake and I heartily agree with her.

"Issues emotional apology"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/go...ll-opponent-Alison-Lee-tears-Solheim-Cup.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One person's "gimme" is another person's "putt it!" Don't know how much golf you play, but walking off the green has nothing to do with concession. Quite common for players to walk off, and wait for the player to putt out. Certainly in a competition like the Solheim Cup you best make sure that the putt has been conceded. No excuse for Lee to have picked up. I think her partner , Lincicome, knew right away that Lee had made a mistake.

I play a ton of golf - and I have also attended a couple of Ryder Cups. Walking off the green when the opponent has a gimme has always meant the putt is conceded at those Ryder Cups. That is why Pettersen apologized for what she did. And that is why Laura Davies said it was disgraceful. And that is why Pettersen's teammate was in tears at the conclusion of the match - knowing they had been unfair to their opponent. Had she been older, I imagine she would have overruled Pettersen when it happened.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I play a ton of golf - and I have also attended a couple of Ryder Cups. Walking off the green when the opponent has a gimme has always meant the putt is conceded at those Ryder Cups. That is why Pettersen apologized for what she did. And that is why Laura Davies said it was disgraceful. And that is why Pettersen's teammate was in tears at the conclusion of the match - knowing they had been unfair to their opponent. Had she been older, I imagine she would have overruled Pettersen when it happened.

So do I and I agree with you 100%. When guys don't want to give me a putt, they just stand there and look at the hole, avoiding eye contact but making sure you know the hole is not over yet. But when they do, they make the pick-it-up gesture with their hand and walk to the next hole. When Lee saw everyone walking away (except Charley Hull's caddie who started the whole thing), she assumed the hole was over. You can see Sandra Gal's body language when Hull gave her version at the press conference.

I think Karin Koch, as a captain, should have stopped all that nonsense.

I remembered when the Euro won at Valderrama some years back, Colin Montgomery insisted on finishing the hole during his match against Jim Furyk to pad his record because Jim had a super long putt just for the tie and Seve, as captain, stopped all that by yelling at Montgomery to give Furyk the putt because the Euro had already won.
Now, this thing will stay with Suzann Petersen forever just the same as "choking freaking dogs" kept Dottie Pepper from ever becoming a captain...

Reaction Score
It is of interest, at least to me, that Lincicome admitted Sunday night that she yelled at Lee to not pick the ball up, as she didn't know if the putt had been conceded. Apparently Lincicome, unlike some here, is not aware of "opponents walking off the green" meaning that the putt has been conceded.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As one of the "some here" may I say that Petterson, being the miscreant that perpetrated the mess, and having now groveled to recapture her shattered image, iss the definitive source. Perhaps Lincicome sensed the personae of Petterson. BTW, when you say things like in your last post, nice to give a source for same. Was she twittering?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Lee made a mistake by assuming that the putt was conceded. There is no doubt that the official was correct in his ruling. The "bulls**t", to quote Julie Inkster was in Pettersen making the call.

I have not played a bunch of match play, but I'm pretty sure that an opponent walking off the green doesn't mean that the putt was conceded. My understanding of the rule is that the concession is verbal "that's good".

Bottom line - Lee screwed up and Pettersen is a dick (an opinion I formed several years ago after following her for a round).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Lee made a mistake by assuming that the putt was conceded.

And Hull was crying because?? There is the "rule" and there is common practice. Petterson used common practice to head fake and do something unsportsmanlike and when she realized she'd been caught out doing it, she begged for forgiveness. Sheesh. She says she was wrong and a couple of you want to disagree with her! Suggest you start a fan club.

Reaction Score
As one of the "some here" may I say that Petterson, being the miscreant that perpetrated the mess, and having now groveled to recapture her shattered image, iss the definitive source. Perhaps Lincicome sensed the personae of Petterson. BTW, when you say things like in your last post, nice to give a source for same. Was she twittering?

What's twittering?

Reaction Score
The European Captain could have overruled Suzanne, and halved the hole. Annika tried to get Suzann to change her mind, but as an assistant didn't have the authority to overrule her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom