OT: Solar

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by temery, Jun 7, 2016.

1. temery

temery What?

I decided to put in the pond in my side yard, and I'm toying with the idea of a solar panel for the pump and lighting.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, and/or convince me it's a good or bad idea?

2. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

I would point the solar panel toward the sun.

You are welcome.

shizzle787, CL82, Dove and 1 other person like this.
  3. uconnphil2016

uconnphil2016 Spectacularly Insulated

For what purpose? Because you're concerned about the environment or is it more of a cost effectiveness thing?

4. Jaker

Jaker

not worth the investment

5. CTMike

CTMike Vanilla Cake > Fish Cake

I have about a 1/4 acre pond in my back yard that I'd love to throw an aerator/bubbler in to to help keep it clear... I know my way around Google and have turned up few affordable options, and those that were were mildly sketchy. I'd rather not run a long extension cord to it either.

6. temery

temery What?

Man made?

Yeah, I've seen the solar and windmill aerators. For a pond that size they are several thousand dollars. My pond is going to be around 400 sq ft at the most. Problem is I still have 80 amp service in my house.

Estimates to run electricity to the pond include updating to 200 amp service, digging to get the power to the pond, and running the wires for the pump and lighting = more than the pond itself. At the very least I'm using solar power lighting (not too expensive).

My apologies to any electrician here, but y'all seem to value your time at a far great rate than most other tradesman. I may run a cord for now, and ultimately do the digging and run the wiring myself. I'll pay an electrician to connect everything to the box.

Or I may just use the extension cord until the price of solar comes down.

Funny thing is, I posted in the aquarium thread saying they are too much work. Looks like my little pond is going to be a 10,000 gallon tank. I wasn't planning on fish, at least not right away. But now I'm told a pond that size still needs all the hardware, or it'll just be a slimy green pool.

I've got to believe there is a balance of aquatic life that can get much of the job done cleaning a pond naturally.

EDIT: Just had a thought ... The pond is going in just a few ft from where my well was/is (now have town water). Do old wells have electricity run to the well for a pump?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. CTMike

CTMike Vanilla Cake > Fish Cake

Natural... It's pretty but it's full of sludge and algae. At the moment, not worth the investment to run power to it and throw an aerator in... Maybe some day. I was hoping to find a simple solar panel I could sit by the pond and run an aerator with but... Like you said not remotely cheap.

8. temery

temery What?

@CTMike Have you tried partially draining it in the fall?

My grandmother had a summer home on a small lake (20 acres) in the 60's and 70's. The lake was partially drained every fall, and naturally refilled in the spring. I remember dropping a coin off the dock and seeing it hit bottom.

More and more people turned their summer homes into year round homes, and some lost their water when the lake was drained, so they had to stop draining it.

Between that, and full time septic tank use, the lake is now terrible. They treat it with copper sulphate, and a few other things when nobodies looking, but it is still nothing anyone wants to swim in.

9. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

Care to support your statement?

10. temery

temery What?

A home owner may get back some of the money put into a kitchen or bathroom renovations. Not so much for a pond, or pool for that matter.

I'm not looking at this as an investment I expect to increase the value of my home. It's just something that will be of value to me.

$2k to update to 200 amp service (which has to happen, regardless), $500 for a bobcat rental, and another $1,500 to $2,500 for materials and help.

Worth it, for me. And I am likely the cheapest sob here.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    CTMike likes this.
  11. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

I assumed his comment referred to the solar not the pond. You want a pond, knock yourself out. If you want solar, though, I recommend purchasing the hardware and not leasing from a third party.

12. temery

temery What?

I've never heard of anyone leasing solar for a pond. My guess s/he was referring to solar in general, and likely solar for a pond, specifically.