OT: Social Media | The Boneyard

OT: Social Media

Social Media

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please no biased responses because of the whole Kasongo saga...

but I want to know if people think Social Media is positive for basketball recruiting of negative

so far I've brainstormed positives
YouTube - highlight tapes allow kids (not High D1) to get more exposure
Twitter - allows for greater fan evolvement
Twitter - allows coaches to read up on events/games they could not attend
Facebook/texting - easy communication

negatives
YouTube - play for highlights not to win if Ballislife of Hoopmixtape is in the building
Twitter - tweet stupid and loose scholarships/interest

add to these lists for me ... I want to see what you guys think!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm always in this wierd place between feeling the need to "compete" with other fan bases through twitter to demonstrate that the uconn community is aware of a kid and as passionate as the Kentuckys and Kansas' of the world, and completely skeebed by the act of tweeting at a kid. I usually settle for retweeting someone else.

I'd just as soon not have twitter exist. It contributes to the center of the world mentality these kids get in AAU.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agree on Ballislife and Hoopmixtape. HMT doesn't really do many HS games anymore though. Ballislife does a TON, but their videos are pretty cool.

Reaction Score
If a coaching staff doesn't have someone in their midst who can navigate the various platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc...) they will quickly find themselves behind the proverbial 8-ball when it comes to recruiting. Times change...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why isn't the Boneyard listed? This is an anti social group of people isn't it?

Reaction Score
If a coaching staff doesn't have someone in their midst who can navigate the various platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc...) they will quickly find themselves behind the proverbial 8-ball when it comes to recruiting. Times change...

I agree players would rather communicate with a coach via Twitter direct messaging or Facebook than receive a letter

Reaction Score
I agree players would rather communicate with a coach via Twitter direct messaging or Facebook than receive a letter

Na - they still want that initial letter of interest...

... so they can take a picture of it, tweet it to the world and post it on facebook/instagram/tumblr. ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think overall it is negative because it instantly publishes the thoughts of teenagers to hundreds of thousands of people. That is usually not good for either the teenager or the people to whom his thoughts are published.

Reaction Score
For the most part, I think it's a positive development - if I were a recruit, I'd rather get hounded by coaches via text than incessant phone calls. And as a fan, it's great to be able to watch actual video of these guys before they get to campus, as opposed to relying on reports from the media (considering the crew that covers UConn these days, that's a BIG plus).

But you're also offering creepy fans a medium to communicate with 15-, 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds, which is undeniably a bad thing. And the fact that clowns like Zags and Jerry Mayer are collecting paychecks to stalk teenagers makes me want to punch puppy.

All in all, I think you still take the good with the bad.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
For the most part, I think it's a positive development - if I were a recruit, I'd rather get hounded by coaches via text than incessant phone calls. And as a fan, it's great to be able to watch actual video of these guys before they get to campus, as opposed to relying on reports from the media (considering the crew that covers UConn these days, that's a BIG plus).

But you're also offering creepy fans a medium to communicate with 15-, 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds, which is undeniably a bad thing. And the fact that clowns like Zags and Jerry Mayer are collecting paychecks to stalk teenagers makes me want to punch puppy.

All in all, I think you still take the good with the bad.
Well now I know why Noels went to Kentucky!

Reaction Score
Considering it's what I get paid to do for a living, I'm inclined to vote positive.

But if there's one thing I've learned at work, it's this: PLEASE USE RESPONSIBLY.

Reaction Score
Considering it's what I get paid to do for a living, I'm inclined to vote positive.

But if there's one thing I've learned at work, it's this: PLEASE USE RESPONSIBLY.

that is another benefit, hundreds of jobs that did not exist 20 years ago do now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom