OT slightly - AL, GA, FL athletics observation | The Boneyard

OT slightly - AL, GA, FL athletics observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When I recently posted some "bad" WBB programs, someone wondered how the schools that do or don't do well in WBB do in MBB. Lacking much interest in the men's side, I'll pass on doing the analysis, but I looked at Alabama athletics in general, a WBB program that has had only 1 winning WBB season in 10 years.

I discovered that - of team win / loss sports - Football (duh) and Softball (Champs 2 yrs ago and runner up this year) are the "hot" programs. The rest were all mediocre 10 year records, winning at best 59% of games (MBB) and Women's Soccer the only other below .500 program.

Then, I'm watching TV and seeing a program on Alabama's superb Women's Gymnastic's program. And their rivalry with UGA (the show focused on 2 coaches, the UGA coach retired in 2007 after 5 straight titles) and how they sell out the school's main athletics facility, etc. And I look at this year and see that Georgia and Alabama were in the "Final Six" as they call it, losing out to Florida and Oklahoma (tied champions).

And I'm watching Florida win the WCWS Softball title over Alabama at the same time. And I know that Georgia has a solid softball program (WCWS appearances) so for all we gripe about Andy in WBB - a winning record annually but not contending for a NC - and for all that Florida's WBB is decent but contending for an NCAA slot at best, yet these schools are doing well at various other women's sports. Florida Women's Volleyball is also decent.

My point / conclusion is that it is very easy to jump on schools and say they don't care so much about WBB (and by inference, women's athletics) and they may or may not, but I am recognizing that you need to look at the "whole" athletic picture before one can jump on a "don't care" bandwagon. I have been guilty of that, even regarding Alabama, although I perfectly well knew about Softball. Just wasn't thinking.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Thanks I needed that reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads