OT - since we haven't had a good Lavar Ball thread in a while...

Rocktheworld

Posting on the Boneyard is Fun Again
HS junior LaMelo Ball has $395 signature shoe

Actually, I'm more interested in what people think of this in general. High school kids getting their own shoes. Especially if the NBA allows a high school to Pro jump in the future.
Now if a college kicker can't make money off his YouTube channel, how can this kid be selling or using his name/likeness to sell $400 shoes? Definitely will impact his eligibility, which Ball claims he doesn't care about.

Kid will probably never go to college and go a different route. Would probably be exposed in high level D1 anyway

FartMan69

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
But honestly this whole Ball phenomenon is a perfect example of someone using social media to troll off people's anger and emotions which gets talked about to the point where someone can be a household name without really doing much. Levar mastered this. Kudos

FartMan69

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Funniest thing is them describing the shoe on their own website as having a "flyknit" upper, something that Nike developed and trademarked. Between the borrowing of designs from other shoe companies and now this they're just asking to get sued at this point.

MELO BALL 1- BIG BALLER BRAND
They can then play the "little guy" card in a battle against a faceless corporation. People will eat that up and sales would only benefit. This whole thing is so coordinated and it's enjoyable watching someone make a brand off of high quality trolling.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
The story is that Lonzo is the one rapping in the background. Who knew Lonzo has bars.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
There is no such thing as a good Lavarr Ball anything. Guy is total scum.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Funniest thing is them describing the shoe on their own website as having a "flyknit" upper, something that Nike developed and trademarked. Between the borrowing of designs from other shoe companies and now this they're just asking to get sued at this point.

I didn't even look at this. That is amazing. For being a pretty savvy marketer, LaVar is stepping in it with 'flynit'. Would be too funny if they had to pay Nike royalties after the fact.

There's a zero chance in hell Nike doesn't defend their TM.

They can then play the "little guy" card in a battle against a faceless corporation. People will eat that up and sales would only benefit. This whole thing is so coordinated and it's enjoyable watching someone make a brand off of high quality trolling.
One way or another, Nike'd get paid. It seems pretty blatant.

intlzncster

There is no such thing as a good Lavarr Ball anything. Guy is total scum.
You cannot in anyway argue that the guy is not good at promotion. Why the hell does every sports fan in America know the name of two of his three kids (poor Gelo smh).

This is amateur hour and they are getting sued and they will lose if they keep the info. Ripping off the pattern from Brandblack is one thing but this is egregious.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
You cannot in anyway argue that the guy is not good at promotion. Why the hell does every sports fan in America know the name of two of his three kids (poor Gelo smh).
Not at all saying that. He is fantastic at promotion and making money off his kids. Still a scumbag though.

Smells like a lot of hate in here. If you don't care, DON'T CARE! Talk about his kids, want him to get sued, call him names like you met him, I mean geesh. Props to the people that posted and do not have anything negative to say. Let them live, let them play, why are you so hurt because they are trying something different?

Everything was really calculated. The Lakers are behind the brand it seems. It's on the NBA YouTube page. You can say what you want about Lavar but there is no doubt he's winning.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Smells like a lot of hate in here. If you don't care, DON'T CARE! Talk about his kids, want him to get sued, call him names like you met him, I mean geesh. Props to the people that posted and do not have anything negative to say. Let them live, let them play, why are you so hurt because they are trying something different?
You do realize this is the reaction "the father" is looking for - its free publicity
I never met the guy, quite frankly I never want to, but are you try to insinuate that you have never been negative or called someone a derogatory name that you haven't met?
I'm not hurt by anyone trying something different but if I don't like how someone is going about performing the something and voicing it doesn't mean I'm hating on it. That word hate gets thrown around way too much

The hate for this guy is unreal.
Regarding the TM to Nike (#85585515), why are all the armchair lawyers in this thread assuming that a license hasn't been purchased? Lol.
Regarding his behavior - meh. It's where the country is at. He's loud and abrasive and unrestrained and primal and verbally incontinent and impulsive and so is most everybody else, near as I can tell. Social media, pajamas at Walmart, belligerent politicians. He fits in perfectly.
Decency is dead in this world, and this guy is a banner-man for modern insouciance.
I wish him and the White Walkers the best of luck.

intlzncster

The hate for this guy is unreal.
Regarding the TM to Nike (#85585515), why are all the armchair lawyers in this thread assuming that a license hasn't been purchased? Lol.
Regarding his behavior - meh. It's where the country is at. He's loud and abrasive and unrestrained and primal and verbally incontinent and impulsive and so is most everybody else, near as I can tell. Social media, pajamas at Walmart, belligerent politicians. He fits in perfectly.
Decency is dead in this world, and this guy is a banner-man for modern insouciance.
I wish him and the White Walkers the best of luck.
Zero chance. Would probably cost more than Lonzo's first contract haha

The guy isn't a "scumbag".. is he over the top almost ALL the time? Yes, but that's part of his strategy I think. His idea is actually a really good one, but his price points are off by a lot. He's grown on me a lot. Still wouldn't buy any of his merch though