OT shot clock | The Boneyard

OT shot clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I'm sure many of you know by now the NIT is going to use a 30 second shot clock and an extended restricted area under the rim (3ft to 4 ft for NIT). Personally I think it's time for the 30 second shot clock. These halftime scores around the NCAA of 26-15, 27-21, 24-18 need to go away. 30 second shot clock and there will be more possessions. Transition period may be a bit sloppy with offenses seemingly forcing shots in final 5 seconds a lot but I think eventually teams would adjust to it well. I'm all for it...thoughts?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As I'm sure many of you know by now the NIT is going to use a 30 second shot clock and an extended restricted area under the rim (3ft to 4 ft for NIT). Personally I think it's time for the 30 second shot clock. These halftime scores around the NCAA of 26-15, 27-21, 24-18 need to go away. 30 second shot clock and there will be more possessions. Transition period may be a bit sloppy with offenses seemingly forcing shots in final 5 seconds a lot but I think eventually teams would adjust to it well. I'm all for it...thoughts?
It will ruin PN's game!!!

Reaction Score
I say go to a 14 or 16 ft. key and leave the rest alone. Shortening the shot clock in college is just going to cause more poor shots.

Reaction Score
Goodman recently reached out to a bunch of college coaches about this and had them vote. Here are the results:

30-second clock -- 270 votes (59 percent)
35-second clock -- 137 votes (30 percent)
24-second clock -- 48 votes (10 percent)
28-second clock -- 4 votes (1 percent)
45-second clock -- 1 vote
Total votes: 460

But the best thing from the article was Archie Miller's response:

“Regardless of what they do with the shot clock, they need to consult with the NBA. When you shrink the clock, there are specific defensive rules that must go into the college game [defensive three seconds]. Widen the lane and even extend the 3. If you shrink the shot clock and allow college defensive philosophies, I’m not sure how it helps offense or pace or scoring. I know that 30 seconds or 24 with zones, presses to zone [Louisville, Syracuse will hold teams in 30s]. What people don’t realize is the NBA defensive game is so intricate that positioning is everything because you can’t be certain places or touch players in areas with and without the ball. I think the freedom of movement and space on offense is what has to change in college, not shot clocks, etc. They need to restrict defenses from all of the smoke and mirrors. There are no smoke and mirrors in the NBA; it's straight space and players, with concepts. I’m in favor of a shorter clock, only if rules defensively are changed with it. Can’t have one without the other."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jef...hes-support-a-shorter-shot-clock?refresh=true

Reaction Score
Goodman recently reached out to a bunch of college coaches about this and had them vote. Here are the results:

30-second clock -- 270 votes (59 percent)
35-second clock -- 137 votes (30 percent)
24-second clock -- 48 votes (10 percent)
28-second clock -- 4 votes (1 percent)
45-second clock -- 1 vote
Total votes: 460

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jef...hes-support-a-shorter-shot-clock?refresh=true

TCF, I saw this article just prior to posting, that's why I was curious to see what everyone thought. Might just be me but whoever voted for the 45 second shot clock is insane lol

Reaction Score
Just shorten the back court violation to 8 seconds. That will make teams start their offenses sooner. And should result in a few more possessions per team.

I would try that first. If it doesn't work than try the 30-second clock.

Reaction Score
whoever voted for the 45 second shot clock is insane lol
It was Dean Smith's final vote. RIP, Dean, and slowdown games everywhere.

We don't win last year if there is a 30 second shot clock. We won by managing the game and being insane, both shooting and FTs, in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock.

That written, I'm all for it. CBB is on the decline right now, and there is ever more media content to compete with.

Forget game purity. If we wanted that, we could go back to 4 corners and no 3 point line.

Make the game more exciting.

Reaction Score
But the best thing from the article was Archie Miller's response:

“Regardless of what they do with the shot clock, they need to consult with the NBA. When you shrink the clock, there are specific defensive rules that must go into the college game [defensive three seconds]. Widen the lane and even extend the 3. If you shrink the shot clock and allow college defensive philosophies, I’m not sure how it helps offense or pace or scoring. I know that 30 seconds or 24 with zones, presses to zone [Louisville, Syracuse will hold teams in 30s]. What people don’t realize is the NBA defensive game is so intricate that positioning is everything because you can’t be certain places or touch players in areas with and without the ball. I think the freedom of movement and space on offense is what has to change in college, not shot clocks, etc. They need to restrict defenses from all of the smoke and mirrors. There are no smoke and mirrors in the NBA; it's straight space and players, with concepts. I’m in favor of a shorter clock, only if rules defensively are changed with it. Can’t have one without the other."

This. There is no argument to the contrary, and it's why I don't support the change -- college refs won't have the discipline to make calls with the domineering coaches in their ear all the time. If they change the shot clock only, it will make a bad situation worse.

Reaction Score
Has to change to at least 30.

The college game is struggling mightily right now, offense is down right pathetic.

They need to speed up the game badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC