OT: She's amazing, but.. | The Boneyard

OT: She's amazing, but..

Reaction Score
From what I gather, back in the day she was a really, really good gymnast (even compared to now). Competed at an elite level and actually got the better of Simone Biles in 2013. Chronic injuries and the required surgeries ended her elite career. Might have been her winning gold medals at the 2016 Olympics, for all we know.

So, good to see her getting some attention for a slightly different reason.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I keep watching for the bench. Kinda looks like ours does every now and then.

What a refreshing show! She is great, but mainly she is happy. Makes me happy just watching her. With all the troubles afflicting us lately, I really needed her to do this! Thank you, young lady, from the bottom of my heart. :D

Reaction Score
From the title, I thought this might be a topic about Danielle Collins.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I keep watching for the bench. Kinda looks like ours does every now and then.

Absolutely killer program with a move or two the judges had never seen. Of course, the on line never weres took maybe 14 nanoseconds before trying to start a campaign of fat shaming.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
An Olympic Gold athlete and her golden boy boyfiend analyse and comment on the 10.0 and an earlier 9.95 she got with this routine (they show both) and her take is refreshing - she'd like to see this kind of verve in Int'l Competition. OBTW she confirms this star's extreme flexibility and athleticism.

Reaction Score
An Olympic Gold athlete and her golden boy boyfiend analyse and comment on the 10.0 and an earlier 9.95 she got with this routine (they show both) and her take is refreshing - she'd like to see this kind of verve in Int'l Competition. OBTW she confirms this star's extreme flexibility and athleticism.

Even though I would really liked to have heard her take on it the bro was just too annoying to sit through. I have a roomate with a dog who spends far too much time in a crate and whenever he's out, well, acts like this guy. But I did like this one: Gymnast reacts to viral floor routine, body shaming

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCLA drew 10,270 for their meet against Arizona St. yesterday, the first since Ohashi's famous routine. Their only previous home meet against Nebraska on Jan. 4th drew 5440. A little publicity goes a long way apparently.

Reaction Score
Something odd about this entire "campaign". I think her entire story is simply amazing but, I don't understand how/why YouTube suggested I view her viral routine a week or 10 days ago.
I look at UCONN WCBB highlights there but, have NEVER viewed anything relating to gymnastics or UCLA. I can't help but think UCLA was goosing her video.

Reaction Score
Something odd about this entire "campaign". I think her entire story is simply amazing but, I don't understand how/why YouTube suggested I view her viral routine a week or 10 days ago.
I look at UCONN WCBB highlights there but, have NEVER viewed anything relating to gymnastics or UCLA. I can't help but think UCLA was goosing her video.

Nothing too sinister about that - at least, nothing outside the way Youtube has operated for years. The Recommended videos list is only partially related to your viewing preferences; the rest will be whichever videos the YT algorithms decide need to be "trending." The whole process is basically a black box, with few outside the company knowing how it even works. Just try opening Youtube in a private browsing window, and you'll see what videos it's currently pushing to a "generic" viewer without a video history.

So it is at every major website with a social or data-collecting element, these days (Facebook, the Google family in general, etc.).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Some good discussion of that here - https://deadspin.com/a-brief-history-of-viral-gymnastics-routines-1831783611

And here - Katelyn Ohashi’s Viral Floor Exercise Routine Could Only Exist at UCLA

Basically, UCLA's coach has a flair for the dramatic and that plus UCLA's relatively high profile increases the chance of a routine going viral

1548185527724.png

Reaction Score
UCLA drew 10,270 for their meet against Arizona St. yesterday, the first since Ohashi's famous routine. Their only previous home meet against Nebraska on Jan. 4th drew 5440. A little publicity goes a long way apparently.

UCLA is national champion and the first meet took place when the students were on break. Some really terrible results for UCLA last week and the students needed to unwind, cheer and feel like they could win. The atmosphere at Pauley for womens gymnastics is always electric and since this is Miss Val's final season, I think we'll be seeing huge crowds all year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCLA is national champion and the first meet took place when the students were on break. Some really terrible results for UCLA last week and the students needed to unwind, cheer and feel like they could win. The atmosphere at Pauley for womens gymnastics is always electric and since this is Miss Val's final season, I think we'll be seeing huge crowds all year.

I didn't look real hard but I didn't find much in the way of attendance figures for recent years. Only 2 home meets this season aren't much to go on. I wasn't sure about UCLA, but I know Utah is crazy about their gymnastics program and regularly draws large crowds. Both are National Title contenders on a close to annual basis.

Reaction Score
Utah, I believe, draws the largest average crowds for gymnastics than any other school for any other women's sport. UCLA womens gymnastics, I believe, average more than any other sport at UCLA other than football and men's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom