OT: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by 8893, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

Especially when you're breaking shear pins a lot.

8893 and Dogbreath2U like this.
  2. CallMeBruce

CallMeBruce

I bought one of these last year, and it definitely helps a lot. I'd been having issues with SAD since high school. You sit in front of it for 30 minutes a day, generally when you first wake up, and it makes a huge difference. Helped me sleep better, too.

champs99and04 and 8893 like this.
  3. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon We are still UConn!!

Get rid of fluorescent lights. They have the greatest negative impact with people struggling with SAD. Go with LED's
    Even better, upgrade lights to those with more natural wavelength spectrums especially at your workplace.
    Arrange your weekday schedule if possible to allow for 15 - 30 minutes of walking outside during daytime.
    Continue to insult @Carl Spackler, @Scalito, @Palatine, etc.
    Don't take the cesspool seriously. Or politics for that matter.
    Stop watching UConn football until the team becomes significantly better. Just tune the tv to the game to make it look like fans are watching or buy tickets and give them to a colleague you dislike.
    Try devices like Bruce suggests. Not a huge outlay of money.
    If you do move go to the south pole in November and north pole in May.
    And you already know I'm a fanboy of you.

bballgrda and 8893 like this.
  4. Scalito

Scalito Eeyore

intlzncster and August_West like this.
  5. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

wow,

after reading many of the responses in this thread I realized that Ive been targeting my sports and safety merchandise improperly.

I think many of you in this thread would be interested in my wares.

8893/UConn limited edition kneepads: 19.99

Contact me for my online shopping cart

[​IMG]

tdrink likes this.
  6. borninansonia

borninansonia

or Tuscon, a lot less expensive and great winter weather. And the best winter bicycling city in the nation.

8893 likes this.
  7. Excalibur

Excalibur

If it doesn't have an ocean nearby, I'm not interested.

uconnfan68 and 8893 like this.
  8. Excalibur

Excalibur

I like 3 of the seasons. I would gladly escape the 4th.

8893 likes this.
  9. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Big time. Combo of cold and dark kills me. I use a heat lamp, and it definitely does help. I did a lot of research, and this one was found to be really good (cost/effectiveness/safety). It's important the the lamp doesn't generate any harmful rays.

Nature Bright Sun Touch

champs99and04, 8893 and HuskyHawk like this.
  10. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

It's similar for me. I never considered it a formal diagnosis of SAD. I lived in San Jose for three years...same thing really, it's just as dark morning and late afternoon. I have a colleague who uses one of those lights on his desk at work, says it helps him.

For the last 7 years I had big windows in my office and that helped. Now I've been moved to a different building, and I don't anymore. I'm a little concerned about how it will affect me. I'm already a little more irritable than before the move.

As long as I have an office job staring at a computer, I don't see any real solution. I'd need to be able to get outside for a few hours every day during daylight. The windows did help though.

8893 likes this.
  11. August_West

I cant wait until California weather braggarts tumble into the sea when the state falls off the end of the map and into the ocean due to the next big one.

It will be hard to talk about your year round beauty with a mouth full of seawater

signed,
    former California resident

Bryan Lord and superjohn like this.
  12. Devland

Devland

Yeah I hear you. Summer's suck! No hunting, skiing or football

superjohn likes this.
  13. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

And until that time they can enjoy outrageous taxes, horrible traffic and living in a house 1/3 as nice as what they'd have someplace else. Plus of course, fires, mudslides and earthquakes. In Santa Clara county, if they are straight men, they also "enjoy" the worst girl-guy ratio outside of Alaska.

- Another former California resident

August_West and superjohn like this.
  14. Lefty2one

Lefty2one

Ditto, summer is my least favorite season by a fair amount. Only appeal of it is the long days/late sunsets. I start at Fall and go from there in terms of my favorite seasons in order. My wife is from Oakland, every time we go out there I complain that it's too warm and it's considered the mildest/best weather in the country, assuming you aren't dodging wild fires. Give me a thick sweater, a cup of tea and a fire crackling in the fireplace and I'm good. Maybe I should move to Canada.

Growing up in CT decades ago it felt like Fall was so much longer. Now it feels like it's 6-8 weeks at best, given the Indian summers we're prone to having recently.

Mano, superjohn and 8893 like this.
  15. superjohn

superjohn

85 degrees in Chicago today. Sick of the Indian summers, give me fall!

16. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

As time goes on, my dislike of the fourth season is starting to outweigh my tolerance of a third and my enjoyment of two others.

Let's face it - winter sucks and spring in the northeast tends to act like winter's apprentice. Summer is great and fall is fine so long as it tries to act like summer. But winter really, really sucks.

I have metal ice spikes for my running shoes. I have a winter bike because the salt and gravel eat the gears. I do not want to have to own metal ice spikes or have a sacrificial bike.

I have been in Florida and the Caribbean in July and August and I'll admit that it's pretty oppressive - but I plan on learning to deal with it the very second I retire.

uconnfan68 likes this.
  17. Excalibur

Excalibur

I do prefer the fall, pretty much through the end of October. Retirement is 15 or more years off, but once it gets here I fully plan to fly south (somewhere) on January 2 and stay there until mid-late April. I like summer and fall in the northeast way too much to give it up permanently.

18. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

I would and I plan to.

The only caveat is that my wife is attached to Cape Cod, so I imagine being there during the summers is probable.

19. uconnfan68

uconnfan68

The good thing about getting old is that you'll still be wearing a sweater in August. On the equator.

August_West and Scalito like this.
  20. superjohn

superjohn

There are like two or three cool areas in the entire state of Florida and the entire state is hell on earth in June, July and August. I love the snow and when it's really cold you can always layer and feel fine. When it's balls hot out you can't walk around everywhere shirtless and in your underwear.

Mano likes this.
  21. David 76

David 76 Forty years a fan

I have always heard that good lights really work Ask your Dr. for a reliable brand. Or better yet, ask a psychiatrist.
    Taking vitamin D is kind of a no brainer.
    Good luck.
    PS About to come home. Followed your recommendation regarding truffles and gelato. No donkey though.

August_West and 8893 like this.
  22. Deadrody

Deadrody

FYI - you can't make a box out of light. Just sayin'

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  23. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

No no no. Light, as in opposite of heavy.

24. August_West

We dont get that many of them, but when we do we get the beauts.

I would be entirely confident in saying that there is not a nicer day in the country than on the CT shoreline today.

Excatly 70 degrees. Zero clouds, still winds. Just incredible.

8893, Excalibur and Dogbreath2U like this.
  25. 8893

8893 Curiouser

@Fishy , to save me the trouble of researching, can you tell me what you use for ice spikes for your running shoes? I want to keep up as much outside running as I can, and that has always been a deterrent for me since I tweaked a calf muscle slipping while running in icy conditions a few years ago. Thanks.

BTW, after seeing this product on Shark Tank a few weeks ago I just bought it because on some nights my evening runs have been running a little late. They just arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to trying them out this week; they seem pretty legit:

Night Runner 270

26. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Ha. Now that I've posted that Night Runner link I'm getting banner ads here for 15% off with the code "SHARK15."

Too bad I already purchased, but a nice savings of almost $10.

27. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Thumbs up on the Night Runners after first use. Definitely great for being seen on any of the three settings (regular, high, flashing), but need to use the high beams to able to see far enough ahead to avoid uneven pavement, potholes, etc. Not an issue; will just need to charge them more frequently in between uses.

28. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Be sure to keep keeping us updated on the Night Runners 8893.

29. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

I use Kahatoola MICROspikes.

They might be a little bit of overkill depending on where you're running, but I tend to run on a rail trail or on trails in the winter and neither are plowed - they tend to turn to ice and packed snow quickly so I can make use of the spikes. If it's actually snowing or if it's powder, I have a pair of running shoes that actually has a nylon bootie on it, but that's overkill.

If you're mostly on pavement, something like Yaktrax Runs or Kahtoola NanoSpikes are probably a better option.

Given that I generally run on a rail trail if I'm running at night, I'll generally skip the light all together. The thing goes in a straight line for 12 miles, so as long as I'm landing on pavement, I'm okay.

8893 likes this.
  30. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Yeah, I got a little excited. What can I say? I'm a gadget geek and I can usually conjure a few more weeks of enthusiasm for exercise with each new purchase. Wait until I tell you about my new headphones. Oh, and the Apple Watch I've got my eye on...

Thanks, Fishy. I am mostly on pavement and the Kahtoola NanoSpikes are the ones I was looking at. I will take a look at the Yaktrax to compare.