OT: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by 8893, Oct 4, 2016.

1. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Anyone here have experience with it, including treatments you have found effective?

Pretty sure I have it, as well as at least one other family member. I've heard and read a bit about light therapy, as well as other suggestions (Vitamin D, melatonin, etc.). I understand the caveats about getting medical advice on a message board; nonetheless I think there is value in hearing others' experiences.

And yes, UConn hoops is always the number one treatment for me; I am looking for suggestions and recommendations in addition to that.

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share.

David 76 and Huskies4ever like this.
  2. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

I have a friend who has struggled with this and he was helped by taking antidepressants. I will ask him about next time we speak. I don't know if he has tried the light therapy or not.

8893 likes this.
  3. Rocktheworld

Rocktheworld

I call it "relocation therapy". It simply involves moving to San Diego.

4. Huskybass

Huskybass

For what its worth, you are one of a small number of posters on this site that I really enjoy reading your posts regardless of the subject matter. Whether its hoops, food or music, your posts are well thought out and informative.

Music is great "therapy" for me, as is a day on the boat fishing. I find that if I do these things on a regular basis, I don't experience the lows that I otherwise would.

I know I have not really addressed your question. I do hope that others can chime in with some valuable info.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55

Same, except I moved to Berkeley. Five-and-a-half years here have changed my life completely -- I'm fitter, happier, more productive (and you all know how the rest of it goes).

If you can't afford California, try Denver. If you can't afford Denver, try Albuquerque. If you can't afford Albuquerque, you're in a big, big trouble.

6. Penfield

Penfield

@8893. Some people use light boxes. Might be worth looking into, but if the depression is serious I think talking to a dr is best.

HuskyHawk and 8893 like this.
  7. Penfield

Penfield

Not drinking too much?
    Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week?
    Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries?
    At ease?
    Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats?
    A patient, better driver?
    A safer car, baby smiling in back seat?
    Sleeping well, no bad dreams?
    No paranoia?

8. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

Saying awful things to people on a message board has always perked me up.

I find that it gets tough when you leave for work early, you're inside all day and you come home after dark - that grind is tough and it gets worse when the clocks turn back.

Try to get outside when you can and definitely get exercise. Also, say awful things to people on a message board.

9. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

Walking outside into the night after work is really a drag, especially right after daylight savings time goes away and you get that sudden loss of sunlight.

HuskyHawk and 8893 like this.
  10. Matrim55

Matrim55

Such a great album. I'm going to go take a 5-mile jog and listen to it right now.

And btw: The best thing about living out here is that I can get regular exercise (5 days a week!) like that, but have never had to spend a single cent on a gym. I have a pair of sneakers for cardio and a pull-up bar, and that's been the sum total of my outlay. I weigh 25 pounds less than I did when I was in NYC, and have saved roughly $1000/year on gym expenses.

11. sdhusky

sdhusky 1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year

I had a friend who got a special light in his bedroom and claimed it helped.

Also, relocating to SD isn't bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
  12. Devland

Devland

You would be surprised at how much free exercise away from the gym people pass up. I always try to park in a space far away (unless it is pouring rain) to get a little extra walking in. I use the stairs instead of the elevator whenever reasonable. I use a push mower instead of my rider most of the time. I'll shovel snow on most occasions instead of using my snowblower.
    But my big pet peeve is drive thru's. People are too lazy to walk into a restaurant? I know they also create a lot more litter also. But isn't that logical ? People that are too lazy to walk into a restaurant are going to be too lazy to walk to a trash can. The funny thing is that you can usually get your food faster by walking in.

8893 likes this.
  13. phillionaire

phillionaire Umph lovin' \mm/

vitamin d supplements help

8893 likes this.
  14. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Thanks all. In my case it's not serious depression--at least not yet--and definitely not something for which I'm looking to take medication.

Moving is not an option, at least not until retirement, i.e., never.

I fully agree with and have implemented most of the other suggestions like reducing alcohol, eating well, getting daily exercise and always MUSIC!, but it really comes down to what Fishy and Dogbreath2U have hit upon with the loss of daylight at both ends of the day, especially after setting the clocks back, such that it's dark when you leave for work and dark when you leave the office to come home. I can feel it start to creep in annually around this time, and it gets worse and worse until December 22, after which it gradually starts to get better once I can sense the days growing again. It's real, and the people around me definitely sense it, so I'd like to see if I can get out ahead of it somehow this year. And especially now that it appears one of my daughters has it worse than I do; I want to figure out how to help her through it, so that's why I'm looking into the light therapy with "S.A.D." lights.

I usually get in some exercise first thing in the morning, these days on the treadmill, and I don't have much problem with it being dark then. I almost always get in some more exercise at the end of the day, after work but before dinner, and that is frequently my favorite part of the day--usually a jog along the shore, with the end of the jog heading directly into the sunset. It's glorious.

But, the biggest problem for me once it gets darker earlier seems to come at the end of the day, when I struggle to get out of work while it's still light, meaning no more jogging into the sunset.

I'm thinking light therapy sounds promising, but there are a lot of different products and different advice out there, so I'm most curious to hear about that, as well as the efficacy of Vitamin D supplements.

15. Matrim55

Matrim55

You sound like a good dad -- good luck to you and to your daughter.

One other tip: Having a dog helps. You simply have to get out there every day, two or three times a day, to walk the pooch. And if you have a yard or a nearby park, a nice game of fetch is incredibly therapeutic IMO. There is such a simple, transferable joy in watching a dog run its heart out, and knowing you brought it that level of happiness.

uconnfan68 and 8893 like this.
  16. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Thanks. Yup, got the dog covered, too. She's great, and I love getting out on the trail near our house with her on the weekends, but during weekdays it's pretty much limited to letting her out in the yard, where we have an electric fence. I'll think about trying to work some mid-week fetch in though.

August_West likes this.
  17. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

18. superjohn

superjohn

I get Seasonal Affective Disorder in the summer. Sweat my balls off, no sports, too long a wait for UConn hoops. The fall is by far the best season, only wish it would last longer.

19. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

Are you sure you just haven't been in the Cesspool too long?

Anywho...pizza and beer. Just ingest daily until the blues are washed away.

8893 and bobbygt like this.
  20. August_West

August_West Resident Champion

Are you implying that S..A.D. = "Scalito Affective Disorder" ?

If you are, Id be inclined to agree.

tdrink, fleudslipcon, temery and 5 others like this.
  21. superjohn

superjohn

I love that the Scalingus stuff carries over to the basketball board. His ears must be bleeding.

August_West likes this.
  22. superjohn

superjohn

Get a gym membership if you don't already have one and lift some dumbells, always been my stress reliever. Get on an elyptical that is next to a window to look outside or next to a beautiful woman. . . . . . .Eat well, get outside for lunch, not many hours of sunlight in the day so use whatever you can. Some of the most beautiful refreshing days are when there is cool crisp air with the foliage and those winter days with the sun shining off the snow. . . . . . .Take viatmin D, only take antideppresants if they are absolutely necessary and as a last resort. I've seen those drugs be incredibly beneficial to someone close to me and kind of a disaster for another person close to me.

23. champs99and04

champs99and04

As somebody who has plenty of disorders for every season (I wish I was joking), my $.02 is as follows:

- If it's to the point where people around you are noticing, it might be serious. From my experience, the person who is suffering from something is very often the last to realize how serious that particular condition is. I have no idea whether that's the case for you, but as I'm guessing you already have, corroborate with your family/friends/co-workers. They'll probably be the ones to best gauge the severity of the problem.

- Therapy can be helpful, but from my experience, unless the therapist is really good, it's not worth it, especially if you're going to have to schedule appointments around an already busy schedule. It's one of those professions where there are great ones and then there are the others, and if you're not in the former camp, I'm not sure how much you move the needle. But that's just my experience.

- The exercise/eating/sleeping suggestions are obvious, but since it seems like your condition is more seasonal, so perhaps optimize your schedule so that it aligns more closely with the sun? That might be tough to do with work and kids, but get creative with it if you can. Experiment with new things, even simple things, like walking outside during your lunch hour. Over time - and hopefully before the heat of winter kicks in - you will get a sense of what works and what doesn't.

- I have some experience with SAD, as well. It didn't develop until after my basketball career finished, but when it did, I definitely felt the full brunt of the coldness and darkness that will engulf you during the winter. My suggestion would be to recreate the warmth of the summer the best you can. That means making a concerted effort to find vibrant, bustling atmospheres that are harder to find during the winter, but are still there. Things like lighting are small but critical. Being around people, even as somebody who isn't a people person, can help as well.

For me, UConn basketball has always been the perfect remedy. There is nothing like a big game atmosphere, especially at Gampel. It's the perfect combination of adrenaline, unity and lighting/visuals. Sadly, the move to the AAC has actually had a tangible effect on my SAD, so I try to find games in the area when I can. Even something like going to a high school basketball game can be helpful, especially if you make it a family event. Then again, maybe you get to the game and start wondering where your life went wrong where you are spending $7 to watch a high school basketball game. These things are hard to predict.

I've also enjoyed your posts, FWIW. Best of luck.

24. champs99and04

champs99and04

I don't understand how it's not consensus among people in the northeast that the fall is the best season.

25. Rocktheworld

Rocktheworld

Meh, I haven't been through a San Diego "winter" yet but I have a feeling by January I'll be in the Daniel Tosh camp. To paraphrase:

"People not from California complain about the weather out here 'I like seasons too much'. Yeah, so do I; that's why I skip the s---ty ones"

uconnfan68 and Matrim55 like this.
  26. sdhusky

sdhusky 1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year

We have two season. Fire season and not fire season.

What will be weird is you will see on the news that some place got hit with a early blizzard and got 15 inches of snow and you be watching like "Oh yeah, I forgot, its winter"

uconnfan68 and Dove like this.
  27. superjohn

superjohn

Glad you like it, I get tired of the same weather all the time. I like the sun, rain, snow, warm, crisp, cold. I like having a wardrobe that I can break out for the change in seasons. I like wearing shorts but also like winter jackets, winter boots, layers and scarves. The only weather I don't like is high humidity and days that are 90+, 15 degrees or under and it starts getting very uncomfortable as well. I like everything else.

Mano likes this.
  28. champs99and04

champs99and04

I'm more, 'I like season' guy, as in one season. It's not hard to convince me that winter, spring, and summer should all be skipped, for entirely different reasons. I imagine it is gorgeous most of the time in San Diego, but to me anything above 70 is sweltering so I don't know.

29. champs99and04

champs99and04

Snow is cool for like two days and then it gets really, really old.

Excalibur, 8893 and Dogbreath2U like this.
  30. Rocktheworld

Rocktheworld

Really looking forward to the first Death Storm thread of the year (should be sooner than later!).