OT: Roy Williams | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Williams

Reaction Score
Has to be rewarded....to masterfully represent enough so that only the football team received a sanction, and to subsequently guide the team to a national championship...

UNC, the institution, should be permanent holder of the NCAA Machiavelli Award...and would be but some are holding out for Saban.

Reaction Score
Which is exactly why coaches cheat. The upside is so much higher than the downside is low.
Downside? Exactly what is the downside again? Self, Williams, S. Miller......all are not just still coaching, they are thriving with blatant evidence that they cheated (unless you don't think sham classes and actual recordings or coaches discussing payments to recruits is not cheating). If it weren't for UConn, I would never watch an NCAA event.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Downside? Exactly what is the downside again? Self, Williams, S. Miller.all are not just still coaching, they are thriving with blatant evidence that they cheated (unless you don't think sham classes and actual recordings or coaches discussing payments to recruits is not cheating). If it weren't for UConn, I would never watch an NCAA event.

Some get fired. Pitino represents the downside.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yea, and all it took there was getting caught with prostitutes and making cash deals while already on probation... is all

OK, but there's guys at lesser programs who've gotten done for. That's the thing, if you're successful at it, at a big program especially, you'll be massively rewarded.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Hurley can turn this program around and get us back to where we should be, we’re going to be in a much better position than many other school.

Reaction Score
I think we'll see coaches coaching into their 80s from this generation. f they have the passion, the money is so good, the importance of the game, and heck, even lifespans are increasing
I think we have a blueprint for negative recruiting against that.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think we'll see coaches coaching into their 80s from this generation. f they have the passion, the money is so good, the importance of the game, and heck, even lifespans are increasing

I think we’re already seeing it, especially in new football hires. Big trend of going with old coaches—we did it, Les miles, Mack brown, few other programs have gone that route as well. I think it’s generally a bad idea

Reaction Score
and heck, even lifespans are increasing
Are they though? I think at least in the states we reached the peak and are starting to trend downward, millionaires (and above) not with standing.

Reaction Score
I think we’re already seeing it, especially in new football hires. Big trend of going with old coaches—we did it, Les miles, Mack brown, few other programs have gone that route as well. I think it’s generally a bad idea

Gary Anderson as well. To me, the retread approach is a horrible one. Miles is the best bet to be a good hire just because that bar is so low. He may be able to recruit well enough to win 6 games, which is a championship-esque run for KU.

As to Roy Williams - I only hope the worst for this phony. UNC emerging unscathed for the grotesque fraud after we were banned for the APR nonsense almost broke me as a college sports fan

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As to Roy Williams - I only hope the worst for this phony. UNC emerging unscathed for the grotesque fraud after we were banned for the APR nonsense almost broke me as a college sports fan
It's absolutely one of the biggest jokes to ever happen in college sports in my lifetime, except it's not at all funny. Just truly disgusting and transparent.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are they though? I think at least in the states we reached the peak and are starting to trend downward, millionaires (and above) not with standing.

That last bit is the key. The more money you have, the better chance you have to live longer, healthier.

Not to go all 'Pool in this, but we are trending downward in the US because of poor nutrition, lifestyle, and healthcare.

The disparaty between the rich and the poor in terms of health/longevity is going to accelerate in the coming years, with coming advances in (expensive) med tech, and as the economy continues to stratify classes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think we have a blueprint for negative recruiting against that.

While not wrong, Hurley isn't exactly the type to negatively recruit. It'd have to be kids handlers.

The most important thing to kids these days is hype though. Even more so than winning it seems.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

+100. 4hunnid even.

Reaction Score
I thought that UNC hit the seam, was loophole lucky....

The Houdini act.....the NCAA thinks that it isn't in their jurisdiction if the African Studies classes were accessed by by the student body other than just by athletes.

So, by having an African Studies Department with no academic checks and balances for any students attending the classes, the whole issue gets thrown to the academic side....accreditation review.

So....UNC cleans up oversight over that department, does away with those paperless classes...and all is good again.

It really wasn't about athletics, you see. Ahhh....you watched the hanky and took your eye off of the left hand.

Reaction Score
Do we know how many of their players were able to stay eligible by virtue of those fake classes? How many wins? How many NCAA tourneys impacted?

Reaction Score
You guys are only focusing on the basketball picture. UNC absolutely took a massive PR and image hit. Yes no sports penalty but real damage to the school which is worse and more important. It is actually hypocritical to just say they got away with it because it didn't impact hoops and their coach.

But yeah they did cheat massively of course. Retroactive penalties are bs though so if they'd gotten stripped of a title it would also be small impact to basketball.

Reaction Score
One statistic I would like to see is the aftermath for the other students that went through that program and where they are today. If McCants had a hefty beef, can't imagine the balance of thousands. That should be the story.

Reaction Score
One statistic I would like to see is the aftermath for the other students that went through that program and where they are today. If McCants had a hefty beef, can't imagine the balance of thousands. That should be the story.
There is/was a ton about that in the local papers and they really ran down UNC for the academic fraud. You won't find those stories in the sports pages per se, but they are out there and it really is indicative of the worst effects that the hypocrisy of the NCAA student athlete inflicts on the bulk of athletes/students that were never going to earn a living playing pro sports.

Reaction Score
He could shoot someone at Chapel Hill and the NCAA wouldn't care

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom