OT: (Rothstein) The PAC 12 should add Gonzaga | The Boneyard

OT: (Rothstein) The PAC 12 should add Gonzaga

Reaction Score
Unconventional... But I actually think this idea would help basketball in the West, immensely.
The PAC is in a disaster scenario right now with the HC positions at Zona and UCLA in flux.
They could easily tumble further yet, just like the MWC did.
It’s going to be interesting to see what college basketball looks like in 5 years with all the 20 game scheduling.

Reaction Score
If there is one thing that is clear - adding a team to a conference because they are good right this second is an absolute winning strategy.

That’s how realignment has been working. It got Utah in the PAC and TCU in the Big 12. Louisville’s BCS bowl and success under Pitino bolstered its ACC bid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s how realignment has been working. It got Utah in the PAC and TCU in the Big 12. Louisville’s BCS bowl and success under Pitino bolstered its ACC bid.

no kidding. its a dumb way to expand. its also not going to happen. Washington State being down the street and all.

Reaction Score
Religion and proximity to a current member will not allow it. It'd be like the PAC taking BYU.

Reaction Score
LOL. Adding Gonzaga does nothing to strengthen the PAC- 12.

Reaction Score
If there is one thing that is clear - adding a team to a conference because they are good right this second is an absolute winning strategy.

Basketball money is largely irrelevant. The Big 5 are about football. If being a basketball powerhouse got you into a Big 5 conference, we wouldn't be talking about conference realignment.

Reaction Score

Sorry, kind of picking nits here, but I think the TCU add was legit. That school has real football history and it’s a shared history with many of its current Big 12 conference mates as they were members of the SWC.

If anything, TCU is a best-case senario blue print for UConn. They were a member of a major conference, got screwed over by that conference breaking up due to realignment, were “relegated” and are now back and more or less thriving.

Reaction Score
Good right now? They've been better than any team in the PAC for 20 years running save maybe Arizona. I don't think they would ever get in, but not for the reason you state.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Basketball money is largely irrelevant. The Big 5 are about football. If being a basketball powerhouse got you into a Big 5 conference, we wouldn't be talking about conference realignment.

That is excellent logic if it was 2002.

Reaction Score

The how the EF Rutgers and Cuse made it is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Sorry, kind of picking nits here, but I think the TCU add was legit. That school has real football history and it’s a shared history with many of its current Big 12 conference mates as they were members of the SWC.

If anything, TCU is a best-case senario blue print for UConn. They were a member of a major conference, got screwed over by that conference breaking up due to realignment, were “relegated” and are now back and more or less thriving.
Actually ESPN called the shots on the Big 8 , SWC meager .
They only wanted 4 Texas teams with two being A&M and of course UT.
TTU, & Baylor beat out TCU & a disabled SMU .
That’s why I never believed ESPN didn’t have a say in our exclusion from the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually ESPN called the shots on the Big 8 , SWC meager .
They only wanted 4 Texas teams with two being A&M and of course UT.
TTU, & Baylor beat out TCU & a disabled SMU .
That’s why I never believed ESPN didn’t have a say in our exclusion from the AAC.

Absolutely.

Reaction Score
I think Boise state would be a lot better for the conference. Gonzaga is interesting as they would take less of the share of the money, but their success is built around one coach. Seems scary to add a school like that (even though Wichita state is like that, but AAC also isn’t in the same position as pac12)

Reaction Score
I think Boise state would be a lot better for the conference. Gonzaga is interesting as they would take less of the share of the money, but their success is built around one coach. Seems scary to add a school like that (even though Wichita state is like that, but AAC also isn’t in the same position as pac12)
Boise State is practically a community college and their non-football sports are pretty putrid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom