OT: Rossomando new Central coach. | The Boneyard

OT: Rossomando new Central coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the locals:

Central hired Rossomando away from New Haven. It will be interesting to see what happens to New Haven from here, he did a hell of a job resurrecting that football team.

Now - Back to your regular UCONN programming.

Reaction Score
I think Rossomando will do a helluva job at CCSU as well... they needed some new life in the program... a guy that can bring in talent (pretty good recruiter) and wins... even with limited resources since UCONN gets most of the financial support in the state.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He'll do well at CCSU as you said he will work hard to get players locally and also reach out in the Tri State area.
I am curious what kind of contract he gets for FBS? My guess is around $100 to 150 thousand per year or so.

Reaction Score
He'll do well at CCSU as you said he will work hard to get players locally and also reach out in the Tri State area.
I am curious what kind of contract he gets for FBS? My guess is around $100 to 150 thousand per year or so.

Coach Mac was making in the neighborhood of $140K +/- a K after 8 years.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Serious question do anyone believe CCSU will ever move up to FBS??

I would say no. There is a lot cost in moving up. I would guess they stay were they are now for the foreseeable future

Reaction Score
Rossomando had an interesting quote this morning in the Courant as it related to recruiting. He said he will continue to make CT the basis of his recruiting and that with the conference maximum allotment of 40 scholarships having CT kids on his roster allows him to stretch those 40 scholarships.

Reaction Score
Serious question do anyone believe CCSU will ever move up to FBS??
No. They're right where they should be. Arute Field seats around 5k, I think. I think alot of the changes you are seeing now is to discourage the CCSU, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern types from moving up. You see the trouble UMass is having CCSU would struggle a lot more.

THC

Reaction Score
Rossomando had an interesting quote this morning in the Courant as it related to recruiting. He said he will continue to make CT the basis of his recruiting and that with the conference maximum allotment of 40 scholarships having CT kids on his roster allows him to stretch those 40 scholarships.
Univ. of New Haven is division 2 correct? How many scholarships does division 2 offer? I was always under the impression that the Univ. of New Haven, and Southern Conn. were a higher level of football than CCSU. Did central move up divisions in the last 10 years?

Reaction Score
Univ. of New Haven is division 2 correct? How many scholarships does division 2 offer? I was always under the impression that the Univ. of New Haven, and Southern Conn. were a higher level of football than CCSU. Did central move up divisions in the last 10 years?
Not sure how many a D-2 school gives out. Central is in the FCS (1AA) and their conference allows up to 40 scholarships a year which they give out. I'm sure they are valued at the out of state tuition price per scholarship for a total bottom line in scholarship monies available, so a kid from CT allows him to stretch that amount among more players due to instate tuition being cheaper (that is what I took from his comment).
Comments from his interview with the Courant's Mike Anthony:
http://www.courant.com/sports/colle...ball-coach-20140123,0,7491933.story?track=rss
-Rossomando looks at making the move from Division II to Division I as an opportunity more so than a challenge. He is familiar with several Central players. Why? Because he lost out to Central in recruiting them. "In Division II, you're always battling against Division I schools for kids. You might get some of them that fall, but all things being equal kids are going to go to the Division I school. Now I'm able to get rid of that one barrier. I knew a lot of these kids from high school and I know what they’re capable of.”

-Rossomando said his recruiting will start inside state lines. "I don’t think [the approach] it will change very much [from New Haven]. We’ll be rooted in the state, make sure we take care of the state first, but we'll have the ability to get into New York, New Jersey, Boston area, all [the Northeast]." Central awards the NEC-maximum 40 scholarships.
-Rossomando cited the CCSU curriculum as another reason for the job being a good opportunity. Central, he said, offers many majors that athletes tend to prefer, such as physical education, business and engineering. He also mentioned the flexibility the recruiting in-state players offers, with the dollars from those 40 scholarships able to be stretched.

Last edited:
Reactions: THC
Reaction Score

Unless it has changed recently - DII allows 36 football scholarships that can be spread out over as many players as a school wishes.

Not sure how long they have been 1AA/FCS but it's been a while (?1990?).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
For the locals:

Central hired Rossomando away from New Haven. It will be interesting to see what happens to New Haven from here, he did a hell of a job resurrecting that football team.

Now - Back to your regular UCONN programming.
Hey Coach, he's from Staten Island, same neighborhood as your favorite showboat.

Reaction Score
That's funny. I did a bike race as the result of a dare, challenge I guess, that I lost, a few months ago that went over the Verrazano Bridge and all over the City. i was sucking wind. First time I'd been on Staten Island in decades.

Reaction Score
That's funny. I did a bike race as the result of a dare, challenge I guess, that I lost, a few months ago that went over the Verrazano Bridge and all over the City. i was sucking wind. First time I'd been on Staten Island in decades.
Staten Island is one of the highest points above sea level in the NE, the hills must rival the Tour.

Reaction Score

Are you referring to Bike New York (The 5 Borough Bike Ride / Tour)?

If so I have done this many time and think its a GREAT EVENT. Only thing that can suck is that the event is in early May and sometimes the weather is sh_tty (rainy) but there have been a number of years whne it has been absolutekly gorgeous which makes for a wonderful event.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to Bike New York (The 5 Borough Bike Ride / Tour)?

If so I have done this many time and think its a GREAT EVENT. Only thing that can suck is that the event is in early May and sometimes the weather is sh_tty (rainy) but there have been a number of years whne it has been absolutekly gorgeous which makes for a wonderful event.

That's the one. Started in Battery Park and ended there, went north first, through the park, and then back down the east side to brooklyn. Was about 50 miles or something, went all over the god damn city. :) I was sucking wind bad on Staten Island, but I finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom