OT: RIP...Lois Lane in the olde Superman TV show | The Boneyard

OT: RIP...Lois Lane in the olde Superman TV show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Noel Neill played Lois Lane in the 1950's Superman TV show....she passed away at 95....pretty super age.
I have fond memories of Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen, Lois and Perry White the editor of the Daily Planet paper.
I suspect that Perry would note Noel's passing with his trademark "Great Caesar's Ghost!"

Reaction Score
I believe the wire services incorrectly state that she was the original Lois Lane in the 50's television series. Phyllis Coates deserves that credit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But, do your socks match?
Nope but I have another pair in the drawer just like them....​

Noel%2BNeill.jpg

RIP Noel​

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe the wire services incorrectly state that she was the original Lois Lane in the 50's television series. Phyllis Coates deserves that credit.

That's because most the writers of those stories were not born yet when the series was in production/on TV. We know from personal knowledge that Coates was the first Lois Lane. After becoming regular cast members of the Superman show, Noel Neill like George Reeves was "type casted". They found it difficult to get roles or parts in any other TV shows or movies. Neill was Lois Lane and Reeves was superman period!!! Just like Clayton Moore was the Lone Ranger. His voice was unmistakable. Mask or no mask. Moore played in many B movies 1940-1949 before becoming The Lone Ranger in 1949. This was the only time we got to see him without the mask.

The Lone Ranger is an American western drama television series that aired on the ABC Television network from 1949 to 1957, with Clayton Moore in the starring role. Jay Silverheels, a member of the Mohawk tribe in Canada, played The Lone Ranger's American Indian companion Tonto.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As an aside. If you've never been there, CBS in NYC has a radio and the museum where for a fee you get a period of time to sit at a tv/radio console and watch or listen to a huge selection of shows. I listened to Lone Ranger radio episode. Fun.

Reaction Score
But, do your socks match?
If one is lucky and reached the point of "who cares" then matching socks or anything matters little.
The luck is reaching that point. I revel in the fact that those things I couldn't figure out --are now second nature.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I remember watching the Superman TV series. I never got this. Superman flies in the window where the bad guys are. The bad guy shoots at SM's chest and the bullets bounce off. Bad guy throws empty gun at SM and he DUCKS? Why? LOL

Because you can't dodge bullets, but you can dodge a gun.

By the 2000's they learned how to dodge bullets in the Matrix.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
That's because most the writers of those stories were not born yet when the series was in production/on TV. We know from personal knowledge that Coates was the first Lois Lane. After becoming regular cast members of the Superman show, Noel Neill like George Reeves was "type casted". They found it difficult to get roles or parts in any other TV shows or movies. Neill was Lois Lane and Reeves was superman period!!! Just like Clayton Moore was the Lone Ranger. His voice was unmistakable. Mask or no mask. Moore played in many B movies 1940-1949 before becoming The Lone Ranger in 1949. This was the only time we got to see him without the mask.

The Lone Ranger is an American western drama television series that aired on the ABC Television network from 1949 to 1957, with Clayton Moore in the starring role. Jay Silverheels, a member of the Mohawk tribe in Canada, played The Lone Ranger's American Indian companion Tonto.

Know why the Lone Ranger eventually shot Tonto? He found out that Kemo Sabe means chickens_hit.:)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Know why the Lone Ranger eventually shot Tonto? He found out that Kemo Sabe means chickens_hit.:)

Uhhh...................No Bliss. I know you're being facetious. All of us long time Lone Ranger fans know that's not what Kemosabe means. Here's what I found on Wikipedia. This is their interpretation of the meaning of the word,
as the show's original writer, Fran Striker meant it to be, which is "Trusty Scout"

In the old Lone Ranger TV series, the Ranger's faithful Indian friend and partner Tonto, played by First Nations actor Jay Silverheels for the entire run of the series, was asked in many scenes what "Kemosabe" meant. His reply was invariably, "It mean Trusty Scout!" The made-for-TV movie Enter the Lone Ranger (1949) combined the plots of the first three episodes of the Lone Ranger TV series: "Enter the Lone Ranger", "The Lone Ranger Fights On", and "The Lone Ranger Triumphs" into a complete story related to the origins of the Lone Ranger and his fight for justice for all regardless of sex, race, or creed.

In both, Tonto finds the forever nameless younger brother of a famous Texas Ranger "Capt. Reid" barely alive. A medallion around the young man's neck helps Tonto identify him as the same boy who'd saved the Indian after a renegade attack wiped out his own family some years earlier. Tonto had declared the young man, played by Clayton Moore, worthy of brotherhood and, after a "traditional" blood-sharing ceremony gave him the Indian name "Kemosabe" or "Trusty Scout".

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just Googled Phyllis Coates. She's still alive at age 89. Seems the Lois Lanes were made of more steel than Superman.

With the passing of Noelle Neill, Phyllis Coates is the last surviving original cast member of the first season (1951) of Superman. Jack Larson (Jimmy Olson) died last September at age 87.

Reaction Score
There was a Superman series in the 40's starring Kirk Alyn as Superman. In that series Noel Neill played Lois Lane. Phyllis Coates played Lois Lane first in the popular series we all watched with George Reeves and she lasted one season when Noel Neill replaced her. Regardless, for us boomers, she was memorable and will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom